• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks / Maiden Japan / AEsir Holdings / ADV Films Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
1 BD = ~$30 MSRP (legit price for something that hasn't been marked down by a retailer)

$30 X 26 BDs = $780 (Owning the franchise would cost $780 MSRP anyway.)

$780 + $19.99 for all the extras = $799.98 (Seems reasonable for something of 162 episode magnitude and 3 movies that hasn't been marked down yet, will wait until Rightstuf posts it.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
@ Kruszer - The thing is that the Sentai site itself is not indicating that there is any discount at all. So even if TRSI gets it, they may not be allowed to offer any discount, either. It's very unusual for NA customers to have to pay full MSRP. The typical Sentai discount for a 12 episode, BD, sub-only release seems to be 35%. If that is followed, the discounted price for LotGH should be $520.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
According to the original release, LOGH is exclusive to Sentai Filmworks online shop. It will not be showing up on TRSI until the last 800 copies are remaindered. At Sentai's shop, MSRP is $799.98 and your price is $799.98. They will throw in free shipping by mail. Twisted Evil
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Even if I do want to buy it's impossible since Sentai's website won't take my card for some reason. Is it already sold out?
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Sentai charges at time of order. My guess is you probably don't have enough available credit. If you do, your card might be rejecting it because the amount is seen as suspicious activity.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Legend of the Galactic Heroes Blu-ray LE higher resolution cover art + additional shots of packaging: https://imgur.com/a/HNIug
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:57 am Reply with quote
So nice of them to put out the images in higher resolution. It only reminds me of how hard I can't afford it even more.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:10 am Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Sentai charges at time of order. My guess is you probably don't have enough available credit. If you do, your card might be rejecting it because the amount is seen as suspicious activity.

Usually what happens when they detect suspicious activity is they'll just freeze the card though. Money isn't the issue, and it works elsewhere. My bank is also going through a merger at the moment so something may just be haywire on their end. Confused
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
via Sentai Filmworks Shop & TRSI:

Armed Girl's Machiavellism: Complete Collection (Blu-ray LE) - 325 minutes - $99.98 - 8/21/18
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/armed-girls-machiavellism-premium-box-set
Quote:
Special Features: Chipboard Box; 240 Page Hardcover Booklet; 6 Sticker Sheets; 6 Art Cards; Japanese Promos; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Armed Girl's Machiavellism: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 325 minutes - $69.98 - 8/21/18
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/armed-girls-machiavellism-complete-collection
Quote:
Special Features: Japanese Promos; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Aura Battler Dunbine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 1225 minutes - $99.98 - 8/28/18
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/aura-battler-dunbine-complete-collection
Quote:
Special Features: Japanese Promos; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

No Game, No Life Zero (Blu-ray/DVD LE) - 105 minutes - $49.98 - 8/28/18
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/no-game-no-life-zero-premium-box-set
Quote:
Special Features: Chipboard Box; 76 Page Booklet; Large Sticker; Japanese Promos; Behind the Scenes with Sentai Filmworks Staff & Cast

No Game, No Life Zero (Blu-ray) - 105 minutes - $29.98 - 8/28/18
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/no-game-no-life-zero
Quote:
Special Features: Japanese Promos; Behind the Scenes with Sentai Filmworks Staff & Cast

No Game, No Life Zero - 105 minutes - $19.98 - 8/28/18
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/no-game-no-life-zero?variant=4137298690069
Quote:
Special Features: Japanese Promos; Behind the Scenes with Sentai Filmworks Staff & Cast

Clipped via PR...
Quote:
Title: GARO SEASON 2 COLLECTION 1 BLU-RAY
Published by: Kraken Releasing
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Run Time: 325 min.
Street Date: 8/7/2018
Format: BD
Language: Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $39.98

Title: DAI-KAIJU MONO BLU-RAY
Published by: Sentai Filmworks
Run Time: 93 min.
Street Date: 8/14/2018
Language: English & Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $19.98

Title: ARMED GIRL'S MACHIAVELLISM BLU-RAY
Run Time: 325 min.
Street Date: 8/21/2018
Format: BD, PBS
SRP: $69.98, $99.98

Title: AURA BATTLER DUNBINE BLU-RAY
Run Time: 1225 min.
Street Date: 8/28/2018
SRP: $99.98

Title: NO GAME, NO LIFE ZERO
Run Time: 105 min.
Street Date: 8/28/2018
Format: BD, DVD, COMBO
SRP: $29.98, $19.98, $49.98
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Ghost license for Makai Senki! Although I wish they actually were calling it Makai Senki rather than "Season 2."
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with Sentai. Do they usually start with expensive LE's and later follow-up with standard editions?

Releasing only 1000 copies of about 4000 minutes of anime for $800 makes me feel like this can't be the only release they're doing. I was expecting I dunno... a regular $200 set?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote
When they do release a show that has an LE, a Standard edition is also released at the same time. What they are doing with Galactic Heroes is very different and very likely licensor mandated
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
@RedSwirl

The only thing you can say about Sentai's release pattern is "It's complicated".

They have put out shows DVD/Subtitled only followed by a Bluray/Dubbed edition a couple of years later. They have put out expensive LE Blurays sets with the standard edition DVD only. They have put out season sets with later sets that combined two seasons in a single set.

This is the first time they put out anything in this price range. They are saying they have "no plans" for any other edition. What that means is anyone's guess.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote
@RedSwirl

LotGH doesn't have quite the cultural penetration that something like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Dragonball or even Pokemon do. You have some very passionate fans, which is what Sentai is trying to target, but it doesn't have quite the same gravitational pull as other franchises. The series is also old and lengthy which doesn't have as much appeal to many younger fans.

Then there is the pricing. Even if it was just $15 per disc for a barebones release you are looking at roughly $390. If even they could sell it for $10/disc its going to be $260 which is still higher than what you would like to see. Many people aren't willing to shell out $390, $260 or even your suggested $200 for anime. So I can see why this may get a limited release. Also recall that there are other companies...cough...aniplex...cough...that have released shows only on DVD and not BD or not released things at a more budget price. There's precedence for only having a single expensive release.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
People are plenty willing to shell out that much for a lengthy series, and then some...provided the cost is able to be spread out over time. I laugh when I start thinking about how much I've sunk into One Piece, probably at least $800, but that happened over years and many, many sales. Asking someone to plop down that much all at once, and what's more completely sight-unseen on a pre-order? That's the height of absurdity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 31