• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
High School DxD

This one doesn't qualify.

There are plenty of male students at Kuou Academy, and some even have speaking lines (Issei's two friends, Gasper, Saji).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
@FilthyCasual

In the first episode of High School DxD, Issei and his friends discuss that they entered this school to be part of the very first co-ed class in a formerly all girls school. Specifically because of the very high ratio of girls to guys. Unfortunately the girls in question will not give them the time of day and they can't understand why.

So no, not the only guy in the school but part of a very small minority, same basic concept.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Incredible that we have gotten through 34 pages and there hasn't been drama yet. There's always drama in the Preview thread.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
zatheus wrote:

Crunchyroll Premium+ is the same price as Hulu without ads. That is what I have anyway. I take it that is what RHorsman was talking about when they put up the CR+.

Do you mean Hulu with ads($7.99)? Or without($11.95)? Because as far as I know, the top tier membership for CR is their premium option which grants you access to everything on their site for $6.95. They don't have western stuff, of course, but if you want a membership for anime, there is very little reason to spend that much more for just a couple of shows that you can't stream elsewhere. I'll just watch them for free with the ads, personally. I feel like One Punch Man and any other supposed "Hulu exclusives" are all on Daisuke anyway, though, and I prefer their player, so I might go there instead.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Do you mean Hulu with ads($7.99)? Or without($11.95)? Because as far as I know, the top tier membership for CR is their premium option which grants you access to everything on their site for $6.95. They don't have western stuff, of course, but if you want a membership for anime, there is very little reason to spend that much more for just a couple of shows that you can't stream elsewhere. I'll just watch them for free with the ads, personally. I feel like One Punch Man and any other supposed "Hulu exclusives" are all on Daisuke anyway, though, and I prefer their player, so I might go there instead.

The $6.95 tier gives you access to all anime, manga, and dramas ad free, but there is a Premium+ tier for $11.95 that gives convention benefits, discounts+free shipping, and other benefits.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:

The $6.95 tier gives you access to all anime, manga, and dramas ad free, but there is a Premium+ tier for $11.95 that gives convention benefits, discounts+free shipping, and other benefits.

Oh, really? That's an interesting idea. I didn't know that was a thing. I couldn't find anything with a Google search either, but I probably just wasn't using the right terms.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Is this a new record I've never seen this many comments. 500+ is impressive and I've been visting this site for a full year.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Actually this a pretty short preview thread because no new series has caused big controversy this season. When one does (and usually there's at least one), post counts of 750+ are typical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Examples of that plot setting:
Infinite Stratos
Vandread (kinda)
Bladedance of Elementalers
The Fruit of Grisaia
High School DxD
OtoBoku
I my me strawberry eggs
Mahou Sensei Negima!
Mashiroiro Symphony - The color of lovers
Unlimited Fafnir
Green Green (kinda)
Koi Koi 7
St. Luminous Mission High School

There's also a sub-section where it might be a co-ed school but the guy has to stay in the girl's dorms.

I think one or two of those are stretching it -- Negima's male lead is a teacher, and Vandread isn't a school setting at all.

Though I guess it's all part of the larger umbrella of "I want a male lead and a mostly female supporting cast, how do I justify?"

FilthyCasual wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
High School DxD

This one doesn't qualify.

There are plenty of male students at Kuou Academy, and some even have speaking lines (Issei's two friends, Gasper, Saji).

Alan45 wrote:
@FilthyCasual

In the first episode of High School DxD, Issei and his friends discuss that they entered this school to be part of the very first co-ed class in a formerly all girls school. Specifically because of the very high ratio of girls to guys. Unfortunately the girls in question will not give them the time of day and they can't understand why.

So no, not the only guy in the school but part of a very small minority, same basic concept.

What he said. DxD was one of the examples I had in mind of this particular justification: "It used to be a girls' school, it's not anymore, but it's still mostly girls." Like Prison School. (EDIT: Actually, yeah, even Shomin Sample isn't really this -- the main character is more of an educational tool than a student. So I guess this whole tangent is off-topic.)

I'm not familiar with most of Loveridge's list, but I'd argue that "only girls can use the magic, except for Our Hero" (Infinite Stratos, Bladedance) is distinct, though closely related.
zatheus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:24 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Barbobot wrote:

Oh, really? That's an interesting idea. I didn't know that was a thing. I couldn't find anything with a Google search either, but I probably just wasn't using the right terms.

Actually thank you for making me look into this whole thing because I must have missed when stuff changed. I picked up the all access sub at the beginning of the year when you had to get that or be forced to watch ads with dramas. Now I am kinda mad I have been paying a little extra since April for nothing. Or at least nothing extra that I care for.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
I love the rates that I pay for Funi and Crunchyroll but wish the same amount was ad-free for Hulu.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Actually this a pretty short preview thread because no new series has caused big controversy this season. When one does (and usually there's at least one), post counts of 750+ are typical.

And worry not, there will be. And it will go by the name of Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid. I mean seriously, I only saw a GIF thus far, but I think Cross Ange might be considered angelical by comparison. The Earth will burn... or at least ANN will.

Well, anyways, I'll find out tonight just how extreme it really is. I'm not signed to any anime-streaming site, since household revenue is basically skeletal (meaning, no money was coming from me anyways) and all the region-locking.

Although I do look at Shelf-Life and start daydreaming...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
And worry not, there will be. And it will go by the name of Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid. I mean seriously, I only saw a GIF thus far, but I think Cross Ange might be considered angelical by comparison. The Earth will burn... or at least ANN will.

But will it be covered? It's already nearly two weeks into the Season, right about the time ANN stops covering new entries, so any late-comers won't be covered.

Key wrote:

So can one use the flammability (or lack thereof) of the Guide's forum as an indicator to the Season's strength and diversity? Most of this Season's shows are, apparently, LN-adapted Magic High-School ones, which might explain the overall stability (I guess that's the word I'm looking for) of the forum.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:

But will it be covered? It's already nearly two weeks into the Season, right about the time ANN stops covering new entries, so any late-comers won't be covered.

Key wrote:

So can one use the flammability (or lack thereof) of the Guide's forum as an indicator to the Season's strength and diversity? Most of this Season's shows are, apparently, LN-adapted Magic High-School ones, which might explain the overall stability (I guess that's the word I'm looking for) of the forum.

Well, fair enough. But it could be that the occasional user brings the topic up.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

Since the funi version will be censored into the high high heavens(with rumours of even more censorship), I don't think that preview would have any value to anybody anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 37