• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Comments on English Subtitle Issues for Attack on Titan Live-Action Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebv2406

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
That's why I prefer hardsubs.

I've had a lot of bad experiences with softsubs which are very common in doramas... and so annoying
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
Perhaps they should have done what it seems NISA did for the Love Live! movie screenings...

Rather than stream it to theaters from some server somewhere or have the theaters work with a digital video file on a hard drive in some arcane format that their projection system may not be able to properly handle, they should have created a Blu-ray Video disc with the movie & the softsubs (just like what a person could buy at retail)...at least that is what it seemed to me they did, as once the credits ended, a Blu-ray player's logo screen came on before the projectionist shut the projector off. (I am sure NISA kept a very secure hold on those discs between/after the screenings to make sure they were not copied or walked off with.)

So, had Funi done that, it might have avoided the whole issue
escahime65

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
I just saw it a few hours ago and luckily my theater didn't have a problem with the sub. I can only imagine how frustrated those fans were that experienced the problem. Sad

I'm glad I was able to see it on big screen! The special effects were so cool- go out and see it now if you can!
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
And to think I just got off the phone from asking if there'd be any issues at my local Hoyts in Australia.

I'm seeing it tomorrow...

...I've been waiting for this day...

...okay that joke was terrible.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for the day when FUNimation would release an announcement featuring the words "waiting for the day" regarding the #ivebeenwaitingforthisday issue.

killjoy_the wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Now just watch as people start complaining about them hard-subbing the second movie, even though that's *exactly* what they should've done for the first one.

I'm actually wondering what, if any, advantages there are for soft subbing theater releases. Or was it just because they didn't wanna bother or didn't have the time to hardsub it the first time?

I'm assuming digital theatre allows for soft subs so you can use the same materials for both dubbed and subbed screenings, rather than two separate versions. Since there is no dub in this case anyway, they're going to hardsub going forward.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2