• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Addresses Prison School Dub Comments Over Gamergate Line

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Bastille wrote:
They had every intent to piss off their customers, given that the writer took to Twitter and started mocking the people messaging them to ask why it was done.

Can you link to this Twitter drama? Who was the FUNi writer?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously guys, there are more things in this world wrong then to be pissed about over one bloody line in a dub.

It is about "production quality", it is understandable when one must go through a novel worth of dialogue that one must every once in a while "punch up" a line, but just as well it implies how amateur the production is when staff is forced to drag out a pop culture reference that becomes instantly dated and contextually out of character.
Diclonii

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
Damn people are so sensitive these days, you have to watch every little thing you say or prepare for the torches and pitchforks. Funimation always rewrite a script for comedy dubs, just look at High school DxD, devil is a part timer and heavens lost property. They make it sound hilarious compared to the sub version and there's noticeably more swearing in them too.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:01 am Reply with quote
Yet one more reason why I avoid English dubs in general.
Bastille

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:05 am Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
Bastille wrote:
They had every intent to piss off their customers, given that the writer took to Twitter and started mocking the people messaging them to ask why it was done.

Can you link to this Twitter drama? Who was the FUNi writer?

Tyson Rineheart

This is the initial tweet from them to serve as a timestamp for how far back you may need to go to see everything on their timeline.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:06 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Yet one more reason why I avoid English dubs in general.
dub alterations like this are very few and far between nowadays
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
I can feel all the butthurt. It's almost tangible.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
People get angry, the script writers stand up for what they did, Funimation posts a public apology, and the hardcore sub purists "win", using this incident as a means to why dubs are supposedly fundamentally flawed while Japanese voice acting continues to get unconditional praise.

Yeah.
Gyropathic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote
Diclonii wrote:
Damn people are so sensitive these days, you have to watch every little thing you say or prepare for the torches and pitchforks. Funimation always rewrite a script for comedy dubs, just look at High school DxD, devil is a part timer and heavens lost property. They make it sound hilarious compared to the sub version and there's noticeably more swearing in them too.

Welcome to our politcally correct society, where a line that actually if look you at it can be translated as that, but into a more funny pop-cultural reference, will cause multiple people to complain and that's just putting it lightly.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:18 am Reply with quote
Wasn't this all because the dude wanted his tiny scriptwriter ego fellated? Yeah, people don't pay attention to your work, it should be invisible because you're a bridge for what's actually being said. No one needs you bringing that bullshit into anime.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I wonder why Funi is still around considering their overly-meme translations... School Prison Dub will never be glorious like the original considering they can't mimic Gakuto's perfect voice.
Diclonii

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
Gyropathic wrote:
Diclonii wrote:

Welcome to our politcally correct society, where a line that actually if look you at it can be translated as that, but into a more funny pop-cultural reference, will cause multiple people to complain and that's just putting it lightly.
Lola yep, ahhh the cesspool of gaming forums as well Shocked . But I really see no problem what Funi did for the dub translation, I will definitely be purchasing this on blue-ray. This anime is like nothing I have ever seen before.
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
As usual, Funimation gives a piss poor response, avoids dealing with the situation, and goes on to piss people off even more. Don't ya just love this stuff?

Just gives people another reason to avoid today's English dubs.
Diclonii

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
People get angry, the script writers stand up for what they did, Funimation posts a public apology, and the hardcore sub purists "win", using this incident as a means to why dubs are supposedly fundamentally flawed while Japanese voice acting continues to get unconditional praise.

Yeah.
Preach it! Especially for a language most don't even know and can't interpret a lot of imperfections in the voices, thus gets written off as perfection lol.
Gyropathic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
Diclonii wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:

Yeah.
Preach it! Especially for a language most don't even know and can't interpret a lot of imperfections in the voices, thus gets written off as perfection lol.

Exactly, like I watch both, I won't say I'm an expert, but from what I've come to know there is quite a lot of corny voices in Japanese that people think are great, and complain when a voice that is exactly like in in English comes a long saying they ruined it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17