• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kizumonogatari Confirmed as 3 Films Starting on January 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Also, can someone P.M. an explanation to me as to why his name is being spelled as Simbo instead of Shinbo? I tried googling ( for about 5 minutes) but can't seem to find anything.

Explanation is here.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I think that more than 1 film is probably the second-best adaptation option for a novel (light- or not), below making a TV version. Way too much books got butchered by either trying to squeeze the content into a single, 120-minutes long format, or modified the story that it came an utter mess. I commend Shaft for willing to bet on 3 theatrical installments.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I think that more than 1 film is probably the second-best adaptation option for a novel (light- or not), below making a TV version. Way too much books got butchered by either trying to squeeze the content into a single, 120-minutes long format, or modified the story that it came an utter mess. I commend Shaft for willing to bet on 3 theatrical installments.

SHAFT has already adapted three of the novels (Tsuki, Hana and Neko (kuro) ) in standalone formats. All of them last over one hour and a half and less than 2 hours (so 90-120 minutes), and all of them are less action-based than Kizu. And those came out well.
Any average above 40 minutes per movie would put it over the other three in length.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
SHAFT has already adapted three of the novels (Tsuki, Hana and Neko (kuro) ) in standalone formats. All of them last over one hour and a half and less than 2 hours (so 90-120 minutes), and all of them are less action-based than Kizu. And those came out well.
Any average above 40 minutes per movie would put it over the other three in length.

I know that. But what I mean it was movies are something that can't be viewed as part of a routine schedule, as opposed to weekly TV shows, so often times in order to "justify" the viewers outing to the cinemas, movie creators will usually try to highlight a certain theme, or certain scenes, while in TV format, due to its recurring nature, it is easier to "cut-off" the story somewhere (A.K.A. a hook). Films need to maintain constancy throughout its runtime.

Right now this is my personal opinion, but due to those reasons, I think that a single, 90-to-120 minutes film won't be on par with a TV show with a similar total runtime. Of course, if a TV show will adapt a full 12-episode cour that is based on one book volume (a la Rokka no Yūsha, Hibike! Euphonium), then it already adapts more than a two-hour film could.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeahhhhhh Very Happy Very Happy Release date + 3 films confirmed. Initially I thought it'd be one single film but it'd either have to be long or cut down, so 3 films is good.

Can't wait for that juicy BD quality!
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the trailer.
The different art style caught me by surprise Shocked Other than that, looks like the regular Monogatari story, that is that it is anything but Laughing
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I just saw the trailer.
The different art style caught me by surprise Shocked Other than that, looks like the regular Monogatari story, that is that it is anything but Laughing

It doesn't look too different to me, just sort of a natural upgrade that comes with time and a higher budget.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY, been waiting for this since the first series ended in 2010! And while I've enjoyed the other monogatari seasons I've been disappointed each time that they weren't kizumonogatari. I really hope we don't have ridiculous time gaps in between each movie, going to feel like the Berserk trilogy all over again.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Also, can someone P.M. an explanation to me as to why his name is being spelled as Simbo instead of Shinbo? I tried googling ( for about 5 minutes) but can't seem to find anything.

Explanation is here.

Really?
On the Mekakucity actors Blu-rays, it's written, in english, as Shinbou
.... idk

but anyway... on topic
FINALLY
hype trailer definitely worked, can't wait.
Them being films instead of a tv series also meaning higher animation budget
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
I suppose for the long delay, the staff decided to make it 3 films. On the delays, I don't get Funi could just stream Eva 3.3 on their site (rights issue?) while they still are figuring the release plans.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote
Y'know The Hobbit was adapted into 3 movies

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Y'know The Hobbit was adapted into 3 movies

which was completely unnecessary. The whole battle of the 5 armies was about 3 or 4 pages in the actual book.

They could have very easily made it a 2 movie sage, or even a 1 movie if they kept the action scenes short.

but 3 movies means 3 times the box office sales so there you go heh. guess the same goes for kizumonogatari
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3