• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Adventures on the High Seas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SEGAtheGENESIS234

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Sheesh. A poll about woman who get scary when they're mad and no mention of Nobita's Mom. *SIGH*
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Touma wrote:
I picked Haruhi Suzumiya because I know what she is capable of.

I was stuck between Haruhi and Sakura, but Sakura ultimately won because Haruhi does things pretty much unconsciously, and is actually pretty easy to appease as long as Kyon is around.

So was I, but given that Haruhi's destructive capabilities are far greater than that of Sakura's, Haruhi has my vote.

Plus Sakura doesn't scare me when she's angry, she just irritates the hell outta me.
whitesox123

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
They literally ride a geiser tornado up into a skyworld in One Piece. Like it should be number 1 by default.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

As for the last 2 I was going to give Gargantia a try but after it was annouced that the second season was cancelled in favor for the novel ending and left the series open i decided against it...which is a shame.

Gargantia wraps up pretty much every major storyline that really matters in it's 12 episodes. It's really worth watching. If you bothers you that much, then don't watch the newest OVAs, as they sort of hint at another season. But the first two OVAs actually add a lot to the original series. Anyway, you really should give Gargantia a chance.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
Roberta (Black Lagoon) is scary when she's not mad, when she was mad the city of Roanapur (a den of the worst criminals) took a collective piddle down their pants and tried to get out of her way. So yes, nothing like the she-wolf smiling at you with those incisors.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
Y'know, looking at the vampire hunters poll has made me wonder: were there ANY vampires in anime or Japanese media before D? I honestly can't think of any before the first novel was published in 1983. It was only after D came that you suddenly had stuff like Castlevania being released and to this day the dhampir is kind of the default setting for anime vampire hunters, as well as the long coats and wide-brimmed hats.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's also a slapstick ostrich character whose name literally translates to "eyebrows."

Stopped reading there...now to figure out how to watch Tide-Line Blue. Laughing

Nice to see that I've seen a couple of the shows that made the list, in Arpeggio and Gargantia.

As for the poll, I couldn't go past Haruhi Suzumiya. Sure, others would pose a threat to your health (and some might cut your head off, literally). But, Haruhi might be one of a few that could just wipe you out of existence...with no one the wiser.

Add to that, Haruhi can be childish, so just "not getting her way" can set her off. The randomness of what she may accidentally do adds to the danger factor for her.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, I was surprised to see Tide-Line Blue show up in a list for something. That show is so far under the radar that I feel like only ten of us have ever watched it. Smile

And the poll answer has to be Balalaika. I mean, some of the other characters can probably cause more raw damage, but no one on that list would be more completely willing to have your balls cut off with a rusty butter knife and force-fed to you, all without blinking an eye. *shudder*
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
But, Haruhi might be one of a few that could just wipe you out of existence...

I had to add spoiler[Chise] to the poll, for doing the opposite.
uguu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:14 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
@uguu
Only 87 people here have seen that show.
I am not one of them, though I might be interested in trying it if it got a disc release here.

Not necessarily just 87. I have an account, after all, and I don't vote or add anything to my 'list of viewed anime' or whatever.

Only the compilation movie is licensed, which also got dubbed. But I assume it's not very good, as the series is 26 episodes long and you can't really cover much of the narrative in movie form. There's a Blu-ray out in Japan though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Yay to Nadia and One Piece taking the top two spots in this week's list.

that was no surprise at the slightest. everyone was predicting that nadia and one piece would get the top two in the list otherwise people would dismiss as a massive joke and an epic fail ob enormous proportions.

the one thing that did surprise me is that how in the hell is anderson second to last in the polls? i mean everyone was expecting alucard and D in the top 5, but the crackling paladin nearly dead last? definitely insane considering both him and walter are most liked in the series along with alucard. and worse is that walter didn't even sniffed the list at all. not to mentioned that saya from blood plus is in the top 5 and she's the most disliked other than the saya from blood c. if it was the saya from the last vampire movie,then i would agree completely,but not the one from blood +.

its as i said. definitely insane and one result that i definitely would never ever expect in poll like this.

killjoy_the wrote:
Touma wrote:
I picked Haruhi Suzumiya because I know what she is capable of.

I was stuck between Haruhi and Sakura, but Sakura ultimately won because Haruhi does things pretty much unconsciously, and is actually pretty easy to appease as long as Kyon is around.

yea but she doesnt make craters from her fists like sakura. and its cause of that hot temperment that i expect sakura, erza scarlet , tsunade and of course mikoto misaka to at least crack the top 5 in the polls.

though my real surprise in the future poll is that why is sakura mato even in that poll? rin yes,but not mato.especially considering that she never gets mad at all under any circumstances.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Barciad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Well that got me binging on Nadia. Episode 9 and counting. I had no idea it such an excellent dub. Why is it only Gainax that knows hot to dub properly?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
though my real surprise in the future poll is that why is sakura mato even in that poll? rin yes,but not mato.especially considering that she never gets mad at all under any circumstances.

I was actually talking about Sakura Matou in my post, not another Sakura. She gets pretty scary in Heaven's Feel, though that hasn't been animated yet.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Wow, I was surprised to see Tide-Line Blue show up in a list for something. That show is so far under the radar that I feel like only ten of us have ever watched it. Smile *

Count me as surprised as well. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the article title, but then I thought, "It probably won't be on there, not enough people know about it." I'm happy to see it get some sort of mention.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Barciad wrote:
Well that got me binging on Nadia. Episode 9 and counting. I had no idea it such an excellent dub. Why is it only Gainax that knows hot to dub properly?

Nadia's dub was done by Monster Island studios in Austin, TX from way back in 2001. It's noteworthy for casting actual children in the lead roles of Jean, Nadia, and Marie, respectively, one of the first dubs of the time to ever do so. Admittingly, the kids are the least experienced when it comes to their co-stars, but having said that, there's a charm to their performances which brings an intangible feeling of realism to their parts. Granted, Nathan Parsons had a very difficult task in nailing Jean's French accent -- and he doesn't get it right in the first couple of episodes. Having said that, though, his enthusiasm for the part is great, as is the chemistry between him and Meg Bauman (Nadia), both of who were good friends in real life at the time, at least according to an article Marc Hairston wrote in Animerica magazine from way back when.

Critics have been surprisingly divided about the dub, with many downgrading it due to the sometimes shaky accents. While the point is somewhat understandable, keep in mind that this is supposed to be a show set in Europe. Now while characters like Nadia, Eiko Villan, Marie, and Hanson all have neutral accents, it's really not bothersome at all; everybody else has different accents which, I think, fits the international flavor of the story. Besides, aside from the children, there are numerous other great performances in the dub. The Grandis gang sounds terrific, especially Martin Blacker's amusingly pompous British-sounding Sanson, and the crew members of the Nautilus are well voiced in addition. Gargoyle was the only voice that took some getting used to, but over time I came to appreciate what David Jones' distinctively deadpan but cold and threatening take brought to the part. I tried watching this one time in Japanese, but honestly, I couldn't get into it as much. To me, the folks at ADV did such a bang-up job with this dub that it's hard for me to see the show any other way.

Nadia is a generally good show overall; it's just too bad it has such an abysmal filler arc in the second half that really hampers it from excellence. Even Anno didn't believe it suited the story at all. Hence why he chose to cut it from his subsequent re-edit (unfortunately only available in Japan) called "The Nautilus Story." Those episodes, 23-29 and 32-34 are absolutely terrible and should be avoided at all costs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4