• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mr. Osomatsu (TV) (all seasons + movie).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - Mr. Osomatsu (TV)
Season 2 - Mr. Osomatsu (TV 2) (discussion starts here)
Movie - Mr. Osomatsu - The Movie (movie) (discuss starts here)
Season 3 - Mr. Osomatsu (TV 3) (discussion starts here)

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: parody, sextuplets

Plot Summary: Matsuno household has six naughty and mischievous sons (who are sextuplets), led by the eldest Osomatsu. They were grade schoolers back in the Shōwa period, but despite of still living in the same old household, the street view as well as the life style of modern day society have changed drastically.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

Haha, now that was amusing. At first, I was expecting some old school comedy but then the parody stuff came in. I think there were Haikyuu, Yowamushi Pedal, Kuroko no Basket, and whole load of others. I was actually pleasantly surprised and amused at what I saw.

They even have an Attack on Titan parody!

Pretty hilarious episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
I don't know what I watched but it was hilarious. I lost it when Honoka showed up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Okay I almost turned away when I saw the kind of childish art style that usually denotes something not up for more mature audiences. But it looked like it got some responses on the preview guide, so I gave it a go. Was rather worried about how much this old timey style and such could go, but the fourth wall leaning was rather humorous. And then full blown idol mode. The idols had me a bit worried, not sure if I felt like getting into that sort of thing, but it did get me to laugh at what I thought it was doing unintentionally. Only, I don't think it was unintentionally at all, the whole segment of the school had me laughing out loud where they went past taking tropes to the max. More than taking it to 11, I would say they took it to 12.

Some references to what their old show was is lost on me, and the almost identical designs makes it pretty hard to differentiate the characters. Which kind of seems to stand out when most of the episode is filled with them having wildly different designs, and very relivant references, but that itself looks like something the show is really knowing intentionally. The acts of trying to fill in the roles of super distilled character types, and "pandering" to the audience while pretty much having that discussion with the audience, was incredibly funny. It is like those parody videos you see around of English people creating a parody of what crazy anime is like, but they took it even further.

I think a general consensus is that there is no possible way they could keep up the steam like this, and really it looks like they are changing directions next time. But if they can capture some part of this and continue it, this might be something very entertaining. This kind of reminds me of some ideas also on a return of retro, like how in the gaming scene you have the return of pixel styled games, or the interest in Cuphead.

Off the top of my head the references I noticed were I think Kuroko no Basuke (have not seen it), Haikyuu, Yowamushi Pedal, Love Live, Attack on Titan, Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Naruto, Assassination Classroom, Pokémon, Totoro, Tekken (?), And whatever male idol anime they decided to parody. Lol, they casually do idol thing which releases energy that destroys a comet which saves the world Laughing, and then a character comments on how ridiculous that was later.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
I had been looking forward to this series (mainly due to the amazing cast) but I didn't realize how much I would love it! It's been a while since an anime had me literally laughing out loud. BDs will be pre-ordered if they can keep this up.

The comet scene was so random-- LOVE IT!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 just started airing on TV about 2 minutes ago. I'm already LOLing. So much WTF in such a small span. XDDDDD

EDIT: Okay, episode is over. Yup, I'm gonna have to do my best to watch this in real time every week. Too funny!!! The brothers are all so.... stupid. XDDDDD Juushimatsu cracks me up.

I'm starting to be able to tell the brothers apart before they speak. Feels like some kind of accomplishment, LoL.

And I think I'm going to have to hit up Amazon and do some pre-ordering after this.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Just finished episode 1. I had no intention of even trying to watch it, right now, but I looked up the trailer on Youtube, when all of a sudden it started streaming the first ep. afterwards. And I have to say, the amount of absurdity in this show is astounding! All the random tropes and cliches to try and "fit in" and "be cool/popular" are hilarious to watch Laughing.

I had never heard of the franchise and just sort of picked up on it when I was organizing the Discussion Index for all the Fall shows. But I will definitely be keeping up with this one, now. It's parody nature feels like it'll make fun of all sorts of genres.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the first episode set a high bar, but now the show's settled down to comedic slice-of-life it's still funny.

The 'idol handshake' scene was particularly hilarious, and how a seemingly throwaway gag from the beginning paid off at the end.

This show was pretty much a "I have no idea what this is going to be like" show before the season started, but now it's a favourite.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so the show went back to its original style. I'm okay with that since I still find it funny like with the job hunting stuff this week. Also for some reason, I find that ED song to be strangely addictive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was an absolute riot, I was laughing all the way, even in the "Next week's PV" segment. This second episode however, felt like very conventional slapstick comedy and although it had a few funny segments (like the horror story) I wasn't that entertained overall. And the"next week PV" segment was pretty dry too. I'm probably going to drop this unless Beautiful Bones, Perfect Insider and Dance with Devils all have terrible ep 2's
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I sure hope there was some relevance of the parody versions of the first episode, because I am slowly building up profiles of the different characters based off of their varied designs there, for what their faces and actions are going forward.

This is nice and all, but I noticed something odd. That funky looking guy seems to disappear for a frame or so and return at about 12:38, which is kind of odd for a modern anime.

The idol bit did seem to be the best part of an episode. Got the closest to some shock factor that makes up strong comedy, and what I liked at first. Although one brother bizarrely transforming into a cat man was also good. And that one guy's speech about the factory doing something bad, and pretty much be purposely being vague and literally stating that it was being used to create unease.

I am a little worried I am missing out on a few jokes though.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:51 am Reply with quote
At the beginning at the fishing hold when Choromatsu and Juushimatsu did their little skit, it was a parody of the Kin no Ono, Gin no Ono (Gold Axe, Silver Axe) folk tale. I'm not too familiar with it but I've seem it parodied in a similar manner at the WORKING!! event (interestingly also with Kamiya and Ono). Looking up online, it seems it's the Honest Woodman in English?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:56 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
At the beginning at the fishing hold when Choromatsu and Juushimatsu did their little skit, it was a parody of the Kin no Ono, Gin no Ono (Gold Axe, Silver Axe) folk tale. I'm not too familiar with it but I've seem it parodied in a similar manner at the WORKING!! event (interestingly also with Kamiya and Ono). Looking up online, it seems it's the Honest Woodman in English?

It does seem to be a fairly common trope. I usually have seen it when parody games or something.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It does seem to be a fairly common trope. I usually have seen it when parody games or something.

Ah ha! Now I finally know the backstory. ^^ Thanks.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
Went to a live viewing of today's Osomatsu san event and they had an advanced screening of the third episode.

There were a lot of shorts in this episode, and my favorite were the Choromatsu-centric ones. Poor, poor Choromatsu. Anime hyper First he spoiler[can't get any sleep], and then he's forced to spoiler[differentiate between his brothers' chinkos]. XDDD

I think it's worth mentioning that they apparently recorded the episodes in a different order. They started with the second episode instead of the first one because they wouldn't be able to get a grasp of their characters or would develop the characters in a wrong way if they started with the first episode. ^^;;;
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Oh God that was weird. I mean you got stuff like horror parody like this:

And then some guy going by the name of Dekapan man being shot by a police dude several times. Weird. I mean, it has some humor to it but I didn't find it as funny as the previous two episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9