• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Power Rangers Film Casts Naomi Scott as Pink Ranger

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Better than Stephanie Scott. Guess Naomi will be the new crush all the youngster will have now.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Wait, they're making a PR film? Seems okay. Just wait for it to be okay and for everyone to hate it anyway.

Not a fan, but I'll keep an eye out.
Malcolm Whatley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
I am not exactly how I feel about her, I guess I will have study her pervious works.

Somewhere deep inside, I am cited about Power Rangers; 2017 is a long ways off. I could get another Degree in that time. But, I hope its a every lasting project. Thats build for kids and adults.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
Anybody else bothered by the character bios? Most of them don't make sense. Jason seeking redemption? Redemption from what? From having a busted knee?
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:28 am Reply with quote
Amy Jo Johnson's shoes are going to be some pretty big ones to film. One of my childhood crushes. I wish her luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
Anybody else bothered by the character bios? Most of them don't make sense. Jason seeking redemption? Redemption from what? From having a busted knee?

Well with a busted knee, his life in football is gone as I guess they're making it an injury that would prevent him from ever playing again. So he probably throws himself into this very low, depressive area that has him doing things that he probably shouldn't have been doing. Not to mention they are probably going to play his social life has been very low and outcasted now that he is no longer a "jock". This is probably where Billy comes in as Billy is already a social outcast, but Jason might initially push him away due to his reluctance to admit he's a outcast himself.

The odd part of it is with a busted-knee that never fully heals is he shouldn't really be doing any sort of "sport" or, in this case, "martial arts". Once you get your first ACL/MCL tear, you're at a higher risk to get it again in the same knee. Why would Jason risk that again unless the Power Ranger suit provides stability in an otherwise bum knee.

Its a very typical, cliched bio, yet fits so well with what we know the Power Rangers to be as a franchise.

I grew up on the original generation and 2nd gen power rangers. I remember when the first movie came out and getting that on VHS. While, overall, that movie was terrible, I did have fun with it as a kid. I'm hoping this movie provides good entertainment for the current generation of kids.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
Many reboots fail to be as good as the original. However, often companies are more concerned with making money and appealing the current generation than to stay true to the original.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
Power Rangers-- a lot of memories with this series

still have the toys from one of the series

but this is not something i would watch now a day...the same or other series i grew up with (ultraman, doraemon,yugioh, etc.)

would love to see Voltron again.. if there's a remake or something Smile
http://www.voltron.com/
12skippy21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Do kids still watch the Power Rangers? Us 90s kids remember it fondly (still love the first movie) because of nostalgia but I have not seen any new stuff on TV in years and I only remember the new stuff being crap.

Cannot really see a market for this movie.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Many reboots fail to be as good as the original. However, often companies are more concerned with making money and appealing the current generation than to stay true to the original.

I remember staying true to the original being one of the things people hated about the remake of Psycho.

12skippy21 wrote:
Do kids still watch the Power Rangers?

They must with all the new series that come out every couple of years.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

To be fair, a lot of these reboots are for toy company products where the og content was solely about making money and appealing to the current generation. Like TMNT... maybe the og comics were about artistry and storytelling... that cartoon though? Not so much. Same with Power Rangers/Sentai imo. Aren't there like 50 Sentai spinoffs? It isn't exactly some sacred thing to start with. It's been businessmen making a quick buck for a while.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
If this is true, this is so much worse than we'd imagine. It's NOT a reboot... it's a continuation. With characters way too young, completely throwing out Dino Thunder, ignoring that the Z-wave was supposed to make ALL villains good, and doing weird things with the timeline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1