• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Negima's Akamatsu Details How TPP Will Affect Dōjinshi, Niconico

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:

then those so called legal sits have to fix their subscription fees since not everyone is a millionaire and can afford the monthly fees of the anime and manga that they want to buy on tell they fix that I would proudly watch anime illegal the last thing I want is to go through another pay well after a hard day of work

A millionaire!? I don't know where you live, but $8 isn't anywhere near a million. Also stop with the crusader like stance on your online piracy and just admit you like free stuff.
What's sad is considering your old of enough for a "hard day of work" and not understanding getting paid for a days work and giving it to those who worked hard to get you that entertainment at the low price of $8 or so.
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
MisterLuck wrote:
dark13 wrote:

then those so called legal sits have to fix their subscription fees since not everyone is a millionaire and can afford the monthly fees of the anime and manga that they want to buy on tell they fix that I would proudly watch anime illegal the last thing I want is to go through another pay well after a hard day of work

A millionaire!? I don't know where you live, but $8 isn't anywhere near a million. Also stop with the crusader like stance on your online piracy and just admit you like free stuff.
What's sad is considering your old of enough for a "hard day of work" and not understanding getting paid for a days work and giving it to those who worked hard to get you that entertainment at the low price of $8 or so.
manga is not 8 dollars and anime is not 8 dollars so I would not be able to afford those fees and I live and low area of Canada and I already have to pay for High internet that expensive as hell so I will stand by what I said sorry if you don't like it if its a 1 dollar a month then I would stop illegal vids and watch legal ones and yes I like free shit who doesn't ?
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
also how is this TPP going to stop piracy ? all its going to do is provoke those hackers and uploaders even more matter the high criminal offence same thing for doujin and cosplayers all your doing is provoking theme as well they will start doing cosplays at a daily bases to show how stupid this law is
EleutheroMaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
The agreement had just been sealed. It's not officially in effect yet!

Remember what Mr. Akamatsu said about it? Even if that TPP were ratified immediately. it won't do so overnight! It could take several years--up to 15 possibly--to take effect!

A lot can change in that time!
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
EleutheroMaster wrote:
The agreement had just been sealed. It's not officially in effect yet!

Remember what Mr. Akamatsu said about it? Even if that TPP were ratified immediately. it won't do so overnight! It could take several years--up to 15 possibly--to take effect!

A lot can change in that time!
that true in that case who knows what could happen to anime in that time would not be as big now to the point that the copyright thing would't even matter to us heck maybe some of us might not be alive by that time
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Here's an empire that is for copyright enforcement: there mascot is a mouse who should have had his copyrights expire a long time ago.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The anime and manga industries should just institute a program like Nintendo's Creators Program, something that would allow doujin authors to continue selling their works so long as they give a percentage back to the original company. And if doujin authors don't want to participate in the program, companies could give their consent to allow people to continue making doujinshi, so long as they're specifically not making any profit whatsoever off the works they create. If there was a blanket agreement in the industry to that sort of system, and lists were made of which companies are/aren't part of the program, then everything would be evened out and the doujin industry could continue on as before, except legitimately and with the proper permissions in place (as opposed to all of these unspoken understandings).
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
The Nintendo Creators approach would be only good if there are very few or no restrictions on content, the only reason I didn't like the program was because of the restrictions.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry too much about TPP, it need to pass in every country for it to be accepted. Plenty of american in the government don't want it to pass, including Hillary Clinton. Similarly in Canada one of the party standing for election flat out said they wouldn't sign it.
idkAlan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
manga is not 8 dollars and anime is not 8 dollars so I would not be able to afford those fees and I live and low area of Canada and I already have to pay for High internet that expensive as hell so I will stand by what I said sorry if you don't like it if its a 1 dollar a month then I would stop illegal vids and watch legal ones and yes I like free shit who doesn't ?

This is monthly payments for majority of legal anime providers
Crunchyroll is $6.95
Netflix is $11.99
Funimation is $7.99
With just the 3 you have a little bit less than $30 a month & with exception of Netflix both Funimation and Crunchyroll offer yearly memberships which make each month far more affordable.
Also if you still don't want to pay then both Crunchyroll and Funimation offer anime with ads for non-paying members.
While Manga is more harder to get digital subscriptions, but Viz Media has a subscription of $25.99 for a year subscription to weekly Shonen Jump.
Amazon and Rightstuf both offer manga that the majority are no more than $10 per volume.

With my rent, utilities, and Internet I spend $2,000 a month yet i still subscribe to all these services and buy physical manga and anime every month.
So don't try to pass your "woes" as an excuse to get free anime because there are far more people who pay more yet still support the industry in whatever way they can.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
^

I will be honest I didn't know about the funimation ads thing so I will see if they won't charge me with that but there comes the issue with manga SO I'm stinking for the illegal route with that NOT PAYING A CENT for that VIZ subscription and now comes a new problem, I live in Canada. But the only way for me to watch show LIKE Accel world is through hulu and viz and you already know what I'm going to say about that. So I still going to watch illegally,some of my anime since it impossible to watch theme from where I am.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Also: I improved your punctuation as best I could. Thanks. Errinundra.

Last edited by dark13 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
If there's any solace to this, at least it will be quite a while before the TPP will actually take effect. Perhaps within that time, some countries may realize that the TPP will end up doing more harm than good and attempt to withdraw from it somehow. Then again, that's wishful thinking on my part...
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Kevelinu wrote:
I am very concerned reading this...
Does it affect Doujinshi immidiately? What will happen to it?

To me the Doujinshi culture is so important and I am just...very worried.
What will happen now? Sad

I don't think that would happen. Anime plays a big part in pixiv, doujinshi and other markets. If they do imply this to everything it would bring down profits for the anime industry in general. Therefore the chances of this happening is close to none. It's like every time someone creates an idea and copyrights it, it would no longer be available for anyone and that's not fair. The anime market is for those who can share their ideas with the world and not restrict them!! If the author of Negima needs supporters i'll be the first in line to help him!!

More like the industry will die
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
While I do respect Akamatsu and love his works, I think he's exaggerating things out of proportion. It's not going to kill the doujin market (in general), its just going to put a stop to those doujin artists that makes a profit off other people's works. Like those making hentai titles of well-known series.

Besides, it's not like those artists couldn't move on from making works based off others and start making their own. If your intention is to get your foot in the industry, they're just going to focus on the art like they've always done.

And I don't think this would hurt cosplay either, unless people are making a profit off costumes that has a copyright to those characters.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
I genuinely do not like this agreement. It's pretty redundant. My question is: Who exactly is going to be the watch dog for this agreement? Are they going to create an inter-governmental agency specifically for this agreement? If so, who's going to pay for its operation? Or can any old Joe see a copyright work and notify the government/officials who will then proceed to press charges? If so, does the original creator/IP holder/copyright owner unknowingly get money from any offender? If the creator is notified about the case and decides that it's ok for them to use their content, does the agency still have the right to pursue charges?

There's just a lot of questions regarding the implementation of this agreement, and the agreement itself is somewhat of a contradiction.

This seems like a total nightmare for everyone involved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3