• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Psychiatrist Suggests Link Between Sexual Offenses and Moe Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Healthy, functional people don't have that "fantasy" or anything close to it. (Same goes for rape/sexual assault fantasies).

Ignorance at its finest. Unless you're saying something like 30% of the population don't qualify as healthy, functional people because that is the low estimate of people with rape fantasies. There are actually studies on this stuff. Here are two links (second one has a chart with just results if you don't want to read some one talking about it).

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-sex/201001/womens-rape-fantasies-how-common-what-do-they-mean
https://www.the-newshub.com/science/sexual-fantasies-not-so-uncommon

Are pedophilia fantasies perhaps different in that they do prohibit healthy, functional lives where as rape fantasies don't? I honestly have no freaking clue, but you don't either so stop acting like it.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
NGK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
What a QUALITY research...

THIS is what happens when Japanese defund and cut humanities and social sciences at their universities. http://time.com/4035819/japan-university-liberal-arts-humanities-social-sciences-cuts/
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
NGK wrote:
What a QUALITY research...

THIS is what happens when Japanese defund and cut humanities and social sciences at their universities. http://time.com/4035819/japan-university-liberal-arts-humanities-social-sciences-cuts/

Actually the opposite will probably happen. Less programs means competition to get into one will be tougher so the quality will go up while the quantity goes down.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Not that I actually care for moe but I get really get irritated when people attack the anime fandom in a stereotypical way, and especially when this halfhearted nonsense comes from a so called psychologist. I know this fandom has many issues but I belive it would be wise to back up your claims with actual sources. I honestly doubt any devoted anime fan would have the time or the will to commit any kind of ridiculous crime you may suggest otherwise I don't think they will be allowed to watch anime or read manga in prison. Anyways I belive it is irresponsible to point fault at one form of entertainment or media in this day and age claiming it to be the source of the country or even the worlds problems.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
leeoflittlefaith wrote:
This is just someone shit-stirring. Someone aspiring to be the Japanese Katie Hopkins or Ann Coulter.

Pretty much this. You can suggest a link between anything. Proving that link scientifically is an entirely different story. They threw in 'Psychiatrist" in order to inflate people's perception of her in an attempt to pass off what she said as credible or even significant. This is clickbait journalism at it's finest.

It got you those page views though, right ANN?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
"Modern" society, as a whole, is moving further adn further away from the idea of personal accountability, and into the realm of "Individual A performed this act due to consuming media B/hearing Individual B & C discuss subject D/pick any other reason."

When one punches someone else's face and breaks the other one's jaw, it isn't due to "a Moe character will love me," "it was cool in the video game I played," "the song I listened on the radio had a line about breaking jaws." It is because that specific individual can't differentiate between fiction and reality. The art isn't to blame. Nobody is pointing gun at people's heads, forcing that to watch vocaloid songs 24 hrs, and "setting them loose" on society...
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
So we take Fluffy Life seriously now?
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Taken for what it obviously is, a simple reflection rather than any sort of hard, definitive, scientifically backed claim, I find it tough to disagree with a lot of what she is saying. Of course I can't speak to whether the relationship is causal in any way. In truth it seems like this stuff is more a symptom (although that doesn't mean it can't also still reinforce one's perceptions). But in any case, the excess of sexually charged images of young girls is definitely creepy and at least indicative of a lot of seriously unhealthy mindsets. I mean, anime fans love to insist upon this sweeping claim that "It's just fantasy so it's definitely beyond any and all criticism" but that's really rather silly. Not all fantasies are created equally. It really depends on what exactly is being fantasized about. Fantasy can be perfectly harmless. Hell, even a lot of fantasies that fall into the category of "things you shouldn't actually do in real life" can still be healthy if they're at least in the ballpark of what it's normal and healthy to desire. But you just shouldn't be attracted to kids. Healthy, functional people don't have that "fantasy" or anything close to it. (Same goes for rape/sexual assault fantasies). And yeah, that doesn't automatically mean you're gonna go out and hurt a real kid or anything. But it's certainly cause for concern if you're even inclined toward doing so. You shouldn't have to not act on that kind of desire. You shouldn't have it in the first place.

1 - This latter part sounds like a criteria for Latent Criminals in the Psycho-Pass world (i.g. a Authoritarian World).

2 - Yeah, there are people with said fantasies, most who will do nothing throughout their lives because of their moral values. stronger than some fantasy. Make a research on the topic, and you will know this to be true.

3 - Her statements have no basis, and are thus random noise. You see, to have 15 minutes of fame, all you have to do with attack an easy target and you'll be fine. But I wonder how long that will last. Nothing is eternal.

4 - You see, the basic point is that, rather than generating child molestors and other asorted sex criminals, such things (Moe) attract already existent ones, together with other people unrelated to them. Same with violent video games and violent people, etc. THIS IS SO ******* OBVIOUS AND STILL TOO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO UNDESTAND!!!
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
If this opinion truly was sparked by that pearl diver incident, perhaps we'll see another opinions or thesis or whatever against moe appear soon.

Too bad for Megu's supporters. If she was created in the old days when pearl divers were still mostly young, bare chested, and only wore loincloths, I guess the nay sayers would have less reasons to complain.

Either way, I don't think moe alone is enough to trigger sexual assault.

I'm more concerned about real life child idols. IMO they're facilitating perv's fantasy more than fictional moe girls.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is the implicit justification held by a large group of people for their dislike of moe, as seen in the constant conflation of pedophilia with moe-enjoyment. It's not surprising to see an actual article coming out and saying it.

What the argument comes down to though is an accusation of an inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality, which I don't think I've ever seen convincingly made. The feeling of "uneasiness" when seeing moe enjoyed belies more of that kind of an inability than an enjoyment of moe, anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
"Modern" society, as a whole, is moving further adn further away from the idea of personal accountability, and into the realm of "Individual A performed this act due to consuming media B/hearing Individual B & C discuss subject D/pick any other reason."

This is a very old misunderstanding: just because you can isolate the causes of certain behaviour as being outside of the individual doesn't mean you can't hold the individual accountable on a moral basis of disincentivization via punishment. It's equivalent to saying you can't hold people responsible for accidents or things they did while drunk.

Last edited by 鏡 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
What a joke.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
brucepuppy wrote:
If this opinion truly was sparked by that pearl diver incident, perhaps we'll see another opinions or thesis or whatever against moe appear soon.

I wonder, because the quotes reference little girls, but if the article is correct about what specifically it is about, then the girl is:

I don't think I'd call that a little girl. Probably closer to "young woman" than "little girl." I mean she looks 16-20 or so to me.

And after actually clicking on the link to the other article, where did this significantly younger pink haired girl even come from? It isn't in the japanese sources linked at the bottom as far as I can tell. If the article itself suggests a link to Megu Aoshima, why not use a picture of her? Or at least a girl of a similar appearance instead of a substantially younger looking girl.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
Hard to believe how lame this "expert" is, with "paid dating", genuine XXX material in games, etc. and other problems with young girls being exploited and she is uncomfortable with moe characters. I just hope some politician doesn't hear this drivel and push some new law Shimoneta style.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:27 am Reply with quote
I think I did more research in one semester for my graduation thesis... and I found 0 evidence to link moe with real-life crimes. If anything, people go for moe because it is fiction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7