• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Would've Saved Manglobe?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kreion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
Gasero wrote:
Considering how often I've heard that anime studios barely make a profit and cannot afford to pay workers more money, I'm surprised that more studios have not went bankrupt.

It's going to happen more over the next few years, and on paper, it makes sense.

Running a physical anime studio isn't cheap, especially in Tokyo. As much of today's anime is done by computer, there's no reason to keep many of these studios around.

It's cheaper to free-lance/contract, and this is where anime is going. Much like Hollywood using green screens/CGI to produce movies, it's about reducing costs while raking in profits they don't have to share with free-lance/contractors.

No it won't - there's no reason to think that any anime studio would go bankrupt if they actually make things that sell. Anime studio's that have any sense will just get in-house 3d, if you can't adapt then sure you'll die - but anime has always been changing. Whilst it's still mostly handdrawn, all effects and crap are often done on CPU because it usually just looks better and is easier.

The idea that much of today's anime is done on computer is misinformed though - it's compiled and edited on computer but the drawings are still done by hand, even on backgrounds and cg crap - someone has to paint those UV's. The only shows that use a LOT of cg for character stuff are Idol shows really,

Hollywood's a good example because hey - guess what that still has: production studios.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I might have to send in a question asking about the status of Genocidal Organ, since it's supposedly not finished yet, and if Manglobe is dead, what is likely to happen with the film now? And what happens with a studio closes down in the middle of working on something.
ichii_1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Michiko and Hatchin is what killed them.
They poured alot of money into it (400 million yen at the minimum) at a time where there was an economic bubble and the have never recovered since.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
So, when people say that piracy/fansubs are bankrupting anime studios, is the norm or is it a combo of that/bad business decisions?
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
A lot of people are asking questions that were answered.

He says Samurai Flamenco was the only original property in the past 5 years, but it is hardly worth mentioning due to poor sales.

That was edited in later on. Originally it said no original properties. I can read, thanks.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
But his point still stands: since they are not part of the production committee of any other title, they don't get any revenue of sales or licensing fees. Therefore their financial well being comes down to whether or not their contracts covered their costs, not sales.

And being a second rate studio means they don't have the bargaining power of more well known studios for pricier contracts and it also means they have less investor capital for self funded productions.
Yerld

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
So, when people say that piracy/fansubs are bankrupting anime studios, is the norm or is it a combo of that/bad business decisions?

Piracy has no direct impact to studios unless they invest a lot of their own money into a project (which I.G., Sunrise, and Kyoto Animation tend to do. Another example would be the previous decade's Gonzo, which is why they openly criticized fansubs). However, it could indirectly affect them if the large producers decide to cut back on production while blaming piracy for reduced sales.

kiminobokuwa wrote:
Considering how often I've heard that anime studios barely make a profit and cannot afford to pay workers more money, I'm surprised that more studios have not went bankrupt.

In the long run, it's of little consequence to the industry, which is why people rarely bother to ensure the survival of a studio. The structure goes under, and the staff simply regroup elsewhere or work for a different company, so long as there's demand for their services (and as it stands, skilled animators are highly demanded. There's a shortage, and studios are just begging for them). Nowadays, producers like Kadokawa and Aniplex are even stepping in to help create new structures before the ship sinks.

The main losers are the studio owners, who can no longer skim from the top. Someone else takes their place.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
ichii_1 wrote:
Michiko and Hatchin is what killed them.
They poured alot of money into it (400 million yen at the minimum) at a time where there was an economic bubble and the have never recovered since.

That much, huh? I never would have guessed that based on the animation quality, which was pretty sloppy outside the first few episodes.

Great art direction and music though.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
Just what are we supposed to be losing with the end of Manglobe or any other studio?

From what Justin said, the director and head writer are from outside. We have already been informed that for most studios the animators are all freelance hired for a specific job. I suspect much of the middle level staff may be as well.

So, just who or what at this studio makes an anime from Manglobe different from anime from any other location? Is there some distinct vision or approach to anime that will be lost with the end of Manglobe?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
Running a physical anime studio isn't cheap, especially in Tokyo. As much of today's anime is done by computer, there's no reason to keep many of these studios around.

Disregarding CG, effects and some backgrounds, the actual frames are still drawn on paper; computers are only involved from the colouring stage onwards. Since animators are based out of different studios (or even their own homes according to Shirobako) these need to be couriered around, so it helps to have everything fairly central.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
So, when then there's a YT video of Greg Ayres doing an anime con panel that's anti-fansub/piracy, is Greg maybe overlooking the fact on how the complexities of how the studio's business decisions/practices work?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
So, just who or what at this studio makes an anime from Manglobe different from anime from any other location? Is there some distinct vision or approach to anime that will be lost with the end of Manglobe?

I haven't seen Gangsta, but I guess if Samurai Flamenco, all the way through, is what you wanted, then that kind of style might be lost? I dunno, I feel like they were irrelevant right after Michiko to Hatchin bombed and then they churned out Sacred Blacksmith. So maybe nothing of real value was lost, they weren't struck down in their creative prime.
Bathory67

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Randomfart wrote:
Anime is dying. That's whats happening.
Rolling Eyes doubt it we are seeing a decline but this has happend before ,one company going anyways does not mean the death of the whole industry.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Just what are we supposed to be losing with the end of Manglobe or any other studio?

We're losing jobs, and that's just as important as any artistic merit the studio may have had.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Actually, you said it yourself. Pass a law in Japan which requires that royalties from merch sales go to the production studios.

That's an incredibly silly idea that would never work in practice, the only plausible solution is for animation studios to get themselves more forcefully inserted into production committees or to get better deals for the work they do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4