• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Imagine Entertainment to Produce Live-Action Tiger & Bunny Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
If I bet, I'd bet my wage that it won't be made at all. And if it's done, it will be after several changes in the staff and becoming a "Dragonball Evolution 2.0".

I am that optimistic.

"Dragonball Evolution 2.0" from Tiger&Bunny? Nah, it's completely impossible even if they screw the movie. It cannot be done in Japan as a live-action, but for Hollywood movie it's story, setting and characters almost perfect even in the original without a real changes.

Especially considering the popularity wave of superhero theme movies from the adaptations of Marvel, DC and Fox.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
DBE is old. Old shit is old. Move on. T&B is nothing like Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball had a very Far-Eastern aesthetic. I mean, the characters didn't necessarily have Earth "races" but it had that Wuxia feel. I mean, they did use some Asians in the form of Jamie Chung, Joon Park and Chow Yun Fat. Goku wasn't (but Goku's not a human. Want him played by a monkey?) but oh well.

T&B is very American. Very American. It feels like an DCAU cartoon. Not as angular, which is why is feels somewhat animeish as well, but very American. I could have watched it back in 1992 and not have known it was from Japan.
wohdin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
This is going to be a shitshow.

RIP TaiBani.
Animeking1108 wrote:
I can see this working for two reasons.

1. America has a raging hard-on for superhero movies.
2. Since the cast is ethnically diverse, we don't have to worry about white-washing.

Actually, we have to worry even more so about #2, specifically because of #1.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Did you not read what I had to say? What is so Japanese about Tiger and Bunny? Nothing, besides the ethnicity of one of the mains, but that's not relevant. Neither are the designs, because they're a "fusion" if you ask me. It is a glorified American cartoon. Nothing more. To deny this would be foolish.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
It's also Japanese in the sense that it was made by mostly Japanese companies (there were Korean in-between animators and I give them a lot of credit). Even though they aired in Japan,

I think a factor for this working as a live-action movie is something to the effect of this quote: "Though it was aired in Japan, we were gearing it for a Western audience and would have aired it in the USA first if it worked out".
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm still sad this show never got to air on Toonami. It just seems like it had a market and missed it.

As for the movie, I hope they stick to the roots-- the comedy, the diversity, etc.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
This is going to be a shitshow.
Actually, we have to worry even more so about #2, specifically because of #1.

Hm, but Tiger&Bunny original series character cast includes only one Japanese descent hero (Kotetsu) to: 3 American/Europeoid (Barnaby, Sky High, Blue Rose), 1 Afro-American (Fire Emblem), 1 Latino-American (Rock Bizon), 1 Chinese (Dragon Kid) and 2 Russian (Origami Cyclone, Lunatic) heroes, and more than half of the main cast isn't Japanese, but completely American/Europeoid.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
"Europeoid"? English really isn't your first language, is it? Also, last I checked, Russia is still considered a part of Europe, so that would make a total of five heroes of European descent (six if the Latino hero can legitimately claim Spanish or Portuguese descent).
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
Now this is a live action anime adaptation from Hollywood that I can get behind! With how superhero movies are the biggest reliable moneymakers these days and how incredibly racially diverse this cast of characters are already are, it just sounds like an easy formula for success without any unnecessary controversy and plus the social commentary on superheroes needing sponsors in order to be popular with the public is rather clever to use.

Anyways, I really hope Tiger doesn't get an unnecessary race lift because if that happened, then I can imagine the unfortunate implications going on behind it if that happens.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Here's a question. How important is Kotetsu's ethnicity and national identity to the plot of Tiger & Bunny?

Thinking back on T & B, it doesn't mean a single thing to the plot, or really even the character, as it's Origami Cyclone who affects the Japanese mannerisms and identity, far more so than Kotetsu. The only thing obviously Japanese about him is the name.

I'd much rather they get the character casting right rather than checking the actor's passport.
ChadKumada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
What I want to know is will they get all the original sponsors? Pepsi Next! It's gotta be over the top and at least real corporations. That cracked me up about the original anime.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Here's a question. How important is Kotetsu's ethnicity and national identity to the plot of Tiger & Bunny?

Thinking back on T & B, it doesn't mean a single thing to the plot, or really even the character, as it's Origami Cyclone who affects the Japanese mannerisms and identity, far more so than Kotetsu. The only thing obviously Japanese about him is the name.

I'd much rather they get the character casting right rather than checking the actor's passport.

'Checking the actor's passport' YIKES, there are plenty of actors of color born and raised here in the states ready for work...

Considering Sternbild is based on Manhattan, it makes more sense to have MORE diversity in the cast than less; if the anime took that into consideration, why shouldn't Hollywood?

Plus if we can't get Hiroyuki Sanada as Kotestu, we've lost.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
@ Just Passing Through

Let me ask you this, can you honestly name any major superhero movie made from Hollywood starring an Asian main lead? With Tiger & Bunny, this would be somewhat of a huge breakthrough there.

This would actually help make this movie beat both Marvel and DC to the punch because with an Asian being the main lead in a superhero movie from Hollywood, it would at least help make it stand out of this crowded superhero movie market because sure, we are getting long overdue superhero movies with black superheroes like Black Panther and Cyborg getting their films and female lead superhero movies with Wonder Woman and the Carol Danvers Captain Marvel movie coming out but with something like Tiger & Bunny?

Funny social commentary on superheroes and having one of the most diverse cast of characters ever in anime/manga because of how the setting is perfect for it, changing the race of Kotetsu and possibly his daughter while keeping everyone else the same is not only stupid and unnecessary, it only just raises some unfortunate implications involved.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
The rational part of me reads this with concern and skepticism.

The Tiger and Bunny-fan part of me is annoyed there isn't a second season yet.

Overall, though, this sounds pretty based.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:

I'm still sad this show never got to air on Toonami. It just seems like it had a market and missed it.

If there's a movie, Toonami may air the TV series to take advantage of the hype. Williams Street is not averse to airing older anime.

Eldritcho wrote:

The Tiger and Bunny-fan part of me is annoyed there isn't a second season yet.

If there's a movie, they may make another season to take advantage of the hype (just like another Japanese Godzilla movie is now being made due to the hype caused by the Hollywood Godzilla).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3