• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream 2nd Seasons of Testament of Sister New Devil, Is the order a rabbit??

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDragonking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
Let the fapping commence lmao
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
why is Testament still not licensed? I seriously would buy it if it got a BD release.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
why is Testament still not licensed? I seriously would buy it if it got a BD release.

I have an uncomfortable feeling somehow Crunchyroll has home video rights again... which would mean no Blu-ray from Discotek (though never say never)

Best case scenario: Sentai Filmworks picks up BURST and season 1.

Maybe Sentai was interested in season 1 all along but AFAIK Kadokawa handles the franchise in Japan and they're not the easiest company to negotiate with especially with Blu-ray rights.

The series has sold fairly well in Japan and content wise it's been more creative than the average fanservice show. Basically it's been well received by fans and surpassed expectations.

On the surface it might look like a High School DxD ripoff (maybe why FUNimation decided not to pursue a "clone") but in some ways it's actually better. Sentai would benefit greatly by licensing both seasons ($$$); would be a bonus if it had a good dub too
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:41 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:

Well, the first season aired at the beginning of the year, and it only recently finished getting released on Blu-ray/DVD in Japan. So, having it released now would be very quick, and the company that licensed may not want to announce it until they're closer to an actual release. So, it could easily be licensed without us knowing about it. It's also possible that multiple companies want it and no one has won out yet.

Also, the show is borderline hentai, so it may be that that has made companies less eager to license it - though there have been other shows which have pushed that line pretty thoroughly and still been released. So, I don't know how much of an issue that really is.

FrameFreeze100 wrote:
I have an uncomfortable feeling somehow Crunchyroll has home video rights again... which would mean no Blu-ray from Discotek (though never say never)

I sure hope not. I hate it when we don't get a Blu-ray release. I don't want to deal with DVDs anymore. Their quality is too low. When that happens, I either wait for the Blu-ray or buy the DVD and then just grab fansubs of the Japanese Blu-ray release and never even open the US release. IIRC, Discotek has never done a Blu-ray release though, so waiting for a Blu-ray release would probably be pointless. Honestly, the only time I want them to be licensing anything is when no one else better wants it - at least until they start releasing stuff on Blu-ray. I was not happy to have found out that Discotek had licensed Strike the Blood. It means buying something that I don't even want just so that I can have at least have paid for the show and be watching it at least semi-legally.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote
^Discotek has actually been doing blu rays for a couple of years. Jin Roh, Vampire Hunter D, Cardcaptor Sakura movie, Lupin Third Cagliostro, Blue Submarine 06, Nemo in Slumberland, etc. They're even doing a couple new ones like that Lupin the Third Jigen movie and Kyousogiga. I personally don't mind DVDs so long as I get the series at a decent price.
Zoneflare wrote:
I would too. I'm surprised Funi never picked this up, it strikes me as one of their obvious picks. I mean they released all the other anime's Hisashi Saito directed at AIC. They licensed pretty much every other IMS series, and they still pick up Kadokawa stuff. After no news from Funi I expected Sentai to pick it up, but they too haven't said anything. [/quote]
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
I echo the thoughts of everyone wondering why it hasn't been picked up yet, hope there is no issue somewhere and that it does get picked up sometime soon, really want to seethe series and would love to own it on bluray Anime smile
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:19 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
^Discotek has actually been doing blu rays for a couple of years. Jin Roh, Vampire Hunter D, Cardcaptor Sakura movie, Lupin Third Cagliostro, Blue Submarine 06, Nemo in Slumberland, etc. They're even doing a couple new ones like that Lupin the Third Jigen movie and Kyousogiga.

Well, that's good to know, though looking over their releases on right stuf, almost everything that they've released has been DVD-only. Still, some Blu-ray releases is better than none. Hopefully, we'll soon reach the point when DVD-only releases are few and far between - or even better, non-existent. It's become almost painful for me to watch stuff that's not in HD. It just looks so bad (heck a lot of the HD stuff looks bad, sadly).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
The big reason why a harem/fan service lover will avoid watching Shinmai is because I don't like the idea of a step-sister love triangle. While I find it weird I might be more tolerant if they were cousins, the pseudo-incest thing is disgusting to me.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:07 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The big reason why a harem/fan service lover will avoid watching Shinmai is because I don't like the idea of a step-sister love triangle. While I find it weird I might be more tolerant if they were cousins, the pseudo-incest thing is disgusting to me.

not really step-sister, more like fake-sister.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Well, they're not actually even step-siblings, and technically, even if they were, they'd be less related than cousins (blood-wise anyway). The only two circumstances where the idea that they're siblings really even comes up once the story gets going is when Basara is giving it as a reason to protect Mio or when she's sexually aroused and calls him "Oni-chan." Really, it seems to be part of the story almost purely for fetish's sake - which honestly, I think does make it creepier. It could easily be dropped from the story and have pretty much no effect on it (beyond what happens in the first episode). But Testament of Sister New Devil does seem to take a chunk of what it does from hentai where it's not uncommon for actual siblings to get it on, let alone step-siblings.
K-Anime

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to The Testament of Sister New Devil Burst, continuing on from Season 1
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
His dad remarries and these become his step-sisters. How would they technically not become his step-sisters, even if they are demons? Also, a title often reflects the setting of the show. Henceforth, I think that they are technically his step-sisters.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Quote:
His dad remarries and these become his step-sisters.

Either you didn't watch even the first episode or you didn't pay attention. spoiler[His father didn't marry anyone because there was no one to marry. Mio is the daughter of the demon king by some unknown mother. She was raised by foster parents who were killed by rival demons. Maria is not her sister, she isn't even human (she is more like a minion). They tried to alter the father's memories to make him think he remarried. It didn't work but the father went along with it anyway for his own purposes.]

All this comes out in the first episode of the first series but I spoilered it anyway since you apparently haven't seen it. The hero has no relationship to either girl except that the live together for convenience sake. While I can see where the fan service may cause you problems, there isn't even technical incest. The title can't be taken literally.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The hero has no relationship to either girl except that the live together for convenience sake. While I can see where the fan service may cause you problems, there isn't even technical incest. The title can't be taken literally.

It's clearly one of those cases where it's not actually incest but they want to have enough of the trappings of it so that they can please the folks with that particular fetish. Usually when they go for it being incest without being incest it's by making the characters step-siblings but not blood related, and they didn't even go that far with Testament of Sister New Devil, because they're not even step-siblings. It's almost downright silly that the word sister is in the title given how little that has to do with anything in the story. It's just there because they want to attract folks with that fetish (or maybe because the author is just into that sort of thing).

It's like they wanted to go far enough with the fetish to please the folks who are into it but stay far enough away from it that the folks who aren't into that sort of thing can take comfort in the fact that there isn't any actual incest going on.

But if someone really doesn't like that particular fetish and feels strongly about it, it's easy to see how this show would be problematic for them even with the characters not being step-siblings, let alone siblings - particularly considering the fact that Basara keeps spoiler[bringing the girls to orgasm by rubbing their breasts and/or ass in order deactivate the curse. He's pretty much getting as close to have sex with them as he can without actually touching their genitalia]. And that's much farther than most fan service shows go. When mixed with the fake-incest, it could definitely be off-putting for many folks.

As I understand it though, incest hentai is very popular for whatever reason. And this show is pretty much borderline hentai with its fanservice content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1