• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan: Junior High

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This kind of stuff is why I'm watching the show - not for the comedy, for reasons the review spelled out nicely, but for the little fanservice bits like this.

I know. The show can be strong in its own right, but it's always good to see characters I've known and loved for a while in comedic situations.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
the biggest problem there is the potential season 02 spoilers; I mean, they are already there but they are well disguised so they are only spoilers if youa lready know what happens; since this adapts an existing manga I guess tehre's epople who knows if this might have obvious spoilers or it will still be clever implications as it has been for the first two episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
I enjoy the chibi designs and some of the jokes, but after 3 episodes, the funniest part for me is in the OP where they replicate the troops in the air. Instead of looking like a formidable airborne army, they look like a swarm of fruit flies. Very Happy Also the amazing band set in the ED, which is worth pausing to look carefully at. Creative stuff there.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this show just as much as at the beginning. It's fun, funny, and fluffily enjoyable in just the right way. Also, unlike the reviewer, I have no problem with the slapstick. For now, this one's a keeper.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
the some reason was because the hamburger was mentioned to be a childish dish.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Believe it or not, the anime is actually doing a better job of world-building than the manga - which, admittedly, doesn't say much.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is the totem pole covered with cicadas supposed to be a reference to something I don't understand? What about the Titans choosing to paint the words “soft boiled egg” on the wall?

I think the egg bit was just the Titans writing on the wall what they wanted to eat, like the kids wrote what they were craving on the windows (apparently, Japanese style soft boiled eggs (lava eggs) are expensive and prized for ramen). Maybe?

There might also be a pun at work, since they used the characters 玉子 for tamago instead of 卵. Since Erin himself provided the little hash stroke in the 玉, what the Titans actually wrote says 半熟の王子, or "soft boiled prince" which could be a dig at Erin?

Cicadas are considered the heralds of summer (and they were complaining about it getting hot), and symbols of rebirth, but maybe it was just a riff on this. Wink
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I love that they made Oluo a middle-schooler (albeit a very mature-looking one) instead of a teacher or authority figure.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Lol! Eld was totally playing the Attack on Titan video game and was reading the manga!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm genuinely curious about how the Titans are regarded outside of the school. In this universe, they don't seem particularly interested in eating people (although some of them appear to be open to it), but they're still pretty destructive. Do humans just kind of roll with it? Would Hanji holding Bean and Sonny against their will be tantamount to kidnapping? In the manga, Eren is chastised by his peers for being intolerant, which might suggest that Titans are an oppressed minority, but this is never really fleshed out.

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hanji rides Sonny and Bean like broncos, barely controlling them as they attempt to devour the other competitors.

I thought they were just going after the bread and the people were in the way. I think they've made it clear that the Titans just want to eat the humans' food rather than the humans, but they don't shy away from devouring anyone who happens to be in the same mouthful (the scene where we first saw Sawney and Bean might suggest otherwise, but I don't quite remember how it played out, and don't care enough to review it). As to what they're there to learn, who knows?

I sort of get the feeling that Sawney and Bean like being Hanje's pets, the way the Moe Titan was interacting with Jean. So they're not kidnapped, they're kinky? Beats me.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Pathetic humans. They are showing a Halloween episode, in November!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Pathetic humans. They are showing a Halloween episode, in November!

You beat me to this reference, and for that, I applaud you.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was the best episode yet. Love how they changed the art for their face expressions back to the original art when they were scared.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
What I especially loved about episode 8 is that at no point is it ever addressed that apparently Levi can actually take his head off and dribble it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4