• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Gen Fukunaga: Tokyo Ghoul Season 3 Set for 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xMemorie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
BWLJ wrote:

As a stand alone thing the anime is pretty good (...) The only thing I could see as pissing people off would be that season one ended without completing an arc. But even that was just a cliffhanger.

What I really didn't like about this adaptation is that it couldn't stand as a solid anime for ANIME only viewers like me. It just threw so many elements and questions and left them unsolved. Characters were not developed at all (it literally forgot about Touka and Kaneki and most of Anteiku during Root A). The focus went to the CCG agents, and there were lots of them, most of them were not that important to the story.

Then, who was Rise? What happened to her? Is she alive? Who is Arima? Who are those mummy-masked girls? Tsukiyama ended up being a burden instead of another character. And then that cliffhanger at the end of Root A. Although that season finale was incredible good as a stand-alone episode, it was not a good ending for the series, and for the second time they ended up in a really bad note.

I checked the drafts that Ishida sensei wrote for Root A, and seriously, they sounded amazing and would've resolved very good problems I had with Root A, like Rise and the development for Kaneki.

I'll check the manga to solve these problems and get the development I wanted since Root A started (and thanks to this reviewer from YouTube, I know I won't be disappointed), but a good adaption would've solved them without me going check the original source.

Anyway, I'd like to see a new season. Fortunately, if it's true that there's going to be a new one, my problems may disappear.

I'm sure, you're talking about Chibi Review, huh?
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:57 am Reply with quote
why is this news still here ? Monica Rial just said no season 3 is happening,remove it or correct this info we now,know its not going to happen if were going to hear anything about Tokyo ghoul it will be in japan not [expletive] FUnimation of all people.
Drunk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:42 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
why is this news still here ? Monica Rial just said no season 3 is happening,remove it or correct this info we now,know its not going to happen if were going to hear anything about Tokyo ghoul it will be in japan not [expletive] FUnimation of all people.

This news is still here because the CEO of Funimation said in the press release from GameSamba that season 3 is set for 2016. Just look at how the ANN article is named. It's clear that ANN only reported on what Fukunaga said. Rial tweeted that ANN reported on a satire article (most likely this one: http://www.animemaru.com/tokyo-ghoul-season-3-confirmed/), but this is simply not true. The ANN article links to the GameSamba press release and not the article on Anime Maru.

http://gamesamba.net/announcements/GameSamba-and-FUNimation-Entertainment-to-make-TOKYO-GHOUL-mobile-game.html

Most likely there was some sort of misunderstanding or Fukunaga revealed season 3 too early.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what Rial says, given that she is wrong about ANN reporting on a satire article. It's up to Fukunaga or the Japanese to clear up the situation.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:06 am Reply with quote
Drunk wrote:
dark13 wrote:

This news is still here because the CEO of Funimation said in the press release from GameSamba that season 3 is set for 2016. Just look at how the ANN article is named. It's clear that ANN only reported on what Fukunaga said. Rial tweeted that ANN reported on a satire article (most likely this one: http://www.animemaru.com/tokyo-ghoul-season-3-confirmed/), but this is simply not true. The ANN article links to the GameSamba press release and not the article on Anime Maru.

http://gamesamba.net/announcements/GameSamba-and-FUNimation-Entertainment-to-make-TOKYO-GHOUL-mobile-game.html

Most likely there was some sort of misunderstanding or Fukunaga revealed season 3 too early.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what Rial says, given that she is wrong about ANN reporting on a satire article. It's up to Fukunaga or the Japanese to clear up the situation.
well the fact that Monica said this new is false I believe her you,know since she WORKS at FUnimation most likely Fukunaga was talking about the mobile game and not an anime ,ANN had made mistakes before,not to long ago they said season 2 of Accel world have a new cast of characters but that was not true only moments later being told,its the returning cast and not a new one,this FAKE and I don't buy it
Drunk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:39 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
well the fact that Monica said this new is false I believe her you,know since she WORKS at FUnimation most likely Fukunaga was talking about the mobile game and not an anime ,ANN had made mistakes before,not to long ago they said season 2 of Accel world have a new cast of characters but that was not true only moments later being told,its the returning cast and not a new one,this FAKE and I don't buy it

Did you even READ the GameSamba article I posted? Fukunaga was clearly talking about season 3 set for 2016. This may be some sort of mistake or he spilled the beans too early. Like I said: it's up to Fukunaga or the Japanese to clear things up.

And regarding Accel World: ANN never stated that it will be a completely new cast. They were talking about an original story with new characters. Never did they mention that the old characters/cast won't return.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
the facts are there,Monica Rial said no season 3 how you going to fix this ?

dark13 wrote:

dark13 wrote:
well the fact that Monica said this new is false I believe her you,know since she WORKS at FUnimation

No, she said there is "no official announcement", which it not quite the same thing. I'm strongly reminded of the UK Dragonball Z leak debacle, which Manga strenuously denied (while seemingly not realising at first there had been a new and much more definitive leak) and seemingly resulted in a 6 month delay to the release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
It's all there in the Gamesamba press release. Funimation replied to a request for comment and did not deny Fukunaga's words. You can speculate about whether or not a third season is really happening - they didn't confirm it, after all - but the idea that we accidentally reported on an obvious joke article from 2 months ago that didn't get widely circulated at all is an obvious fabrication and the evidence is all right there in front of you.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
why is this news still here ? Monica Rial just said no season 3 is happening

She is not in a position to know. Fukunaga is. Press releases are not arbitrarily and sloppily released, and the one used as the source for the story has not been retracted or modified.
Dayblack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
xMemorie wrote:
Cunning Linguist wrote:
xMemorie wrote:
Pierrot... please don't... just give it to Madhouse... please.

Madhouse would probably be worse, they'd do one season and make fans worldwide lose all hope for a 2nd.

If anything give it to a dedicated studio like JC Staff or David Production

First of all, Madhouse stays true to the raw material and adapts properly. Second is, the Tokyo Ghoul manga is already finished and knowing Madhouse, they would just adapt everything in one season with estimately 60-70 episodes. My third point is, dedication doesn't mean quality. JC Staff is an average studio, with average animation, even though they stay true to the content, this studio and Tokyo Ghoul wouldn't fit together. As for David Production, I can't say much about it. I tried to get into Jojo, but dropped after the 6th episode. It just wasn't for me. To get to the point, I'd say Madhouse, Production IG, or Bones would be the best studios for Tokyo Ghoul.

Madhouse adapted wrong Btooom, Mahouka, overlord, No Game No Life, mahou sensou, claymore, Kami no Inai Nichiyoubi.

Bones adaptations are always bad Noragami, Hitsugi not Chaika, kekkai sensen, Zetsuen no Tempest.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:

Just because someone works for a company does not mean they know everything that goes on within the entire company. No offense to Monica but she'd be as likely to know at any given time what the upper executives running the company are up to as the bagger at your Walmart would know what the heads of the chain are up to. She can only report on what she knows or is told. I doubt Fukunaga calls her directly to let her know of every little thing going on. That's not an insult to Monica Rial, she can only confirm or deny what she actually knows/is told. Sometimes actors have to deny releases as well due to contractual obligations.

So for all we know she might actually know about it but has to deny it until told otherwise. As pointed out this also came from Fukunaga's mouth himself and no executives at Funi are denying it. Generally speaking if this was 100% false, and for example he was talking about a mobile game app or something else but spoke incorrectly, they'd have squashed it by now. They haven't. On the off chance it does turn out to be false it's hardly ANN's fault for reporting on a legitimate press release, not some onion-esque satirical piece.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:

Bones adaptations are always bad Noragami, Hitsugi not Chaika, kekkai sensen, Zetsuen no Tempest.

You'll definitely find a lot of people who would dispute this claim. Noragami seems quite popular and I'm a big fan. Blood Blockade Battlefront gets a lot of praise here and is a personal favorite. Chaika and Tempest, while I wouldn't necessarily call either of them greats were both pretty good. Ouran High School Host club has a large fanbase. Then there's the elephant-in-the-room which is Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which are both immensely popular and in general considered very good (Brotherhood is still the highest rated anime on MAL).
Arklight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
What if Ufotable would do Tokyo Ghoul 3?
Agafin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Arklight wrote:
What if Ufotable would do Tokyo Ghoul 3?
Why would they?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Just because someone works for a company does not mean they know everything that goes on within the entire company. No offense to Monica but she'd be as likely to know at any given time what the upper executives running the company are up to as the bagger at your Walmart would know what the heads of the chain are up to. She can only report on what she knows or is told.

Just as an addendum to this, a few hours before the quoted tweet she was excited to hear the news, so at that point it appears she had no insider knowledge either way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sky Harte

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can be patient enough to wait 2-3years maximum, if tokyo ghoul 3 will be made [/i] properly. I really liked season one. I didn't like or love season 2. It somewhat actually...dissapointed me, but wasn't a complete waste of my time watching it. I hate the fact that spoiler[Hide ]died. spoiler[(It made a really good, yet depressing, plot part though). I do hope they make a season, be it 2 or 3 years from now. It just better be a good season.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4