• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RHorsman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
"Raise Your Flag" is cool and all, but man does that singer sound like Weird Al in places.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
RHorsman wrote:
"Raise Your Flag" is cool and all, but man does that singer sound like Weird Al in places.

Yeah, I thought he sounded nigh identical to Vic Mignogna in that first verse, and now I can't unhear it.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Honestly if we're just talking premise, IBO is far more similar to turn a than aldanoah. But regardless, what's important is execution. Being unique doesn't make a show good, and being derivative does not make a show bad. So far the execution in IBO has been spot on

Also peace princess is one of those staple Gundam tropes that has been super prevalent throught the franchise, long before AZ
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
What's funnier, is that apparently started to do a twitter feed for Biscuit Griffon, one of the three main guys in the show.

Is this really Bandai doing this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/BiscuitGriffon
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
I understand we're only two episodes in and the series will likely greatly deviate from A/Z. I was just surprised no one was mentioning it right in the first few comments here. I also wasn't calling AZ original. But as said; blonde peace loving Martian aristocrat and a plot by her own people to kill her as she is on her way to earth to spread her idealism only what, a year after A/Z is pretty damn similar and fresh in viewers' minds lol. You can chalk it up to just being unfortunate that they came out so close to eachother anyway, since I'm sure the writing of this most likely predates A/Z's airing anyway.

Except the fact that its the Earth forces trying to stop her not her own people. Honestly these comparisons are flimsy at best and the biggest irony of it all is that A/Z NEVER EXPLORED THE MARS SETTING nor did it even take place on Mars, it was largely lipservice that didn't mean much of anything that's the ONLY reason why people would think of comparing them to one another which is freaking sad because there was nothing remotely original or memorable about A/Z people got drawn to it because they saw Urobuchi's name on it.
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
You're right it was a group from Earth that attacked, but it was shown or at least heavily implied that Kudelias own father sold her out. Hence my "her own people" comment.

I'm not really trying to argue anything here, just pointing out an observation based on two whole episodes, not like I'm damning IBO for being similar to another show. As others have said in so many words, it's all been done before. Hell I already see people comparing the two male leads in IBO to the ones in TTGL.
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 am Reply with quote
Thank god there's actually a decent, real Gundam series again! (not that I didn't love Build Fighters, but that's totally it's own thing) I've been disappointed in the offerings since 00, but the last 10 minutes of IBO's episode 1 was already better than anything that happened in Reconguista! I really really wanted to like G-Reco, I even appreciated the retro art style, but it was like a mashup of 0079 and SEED, as retold by a 9-year old hopped up on Pixy Stix...
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
There was only one full, serious, show since 00, so that's not saying much.

I gotta wave the A/Z comparisions out as well, because that show sold itself on Urobutcher starting off a pretty cool Real vs Super premise with the idea that the politics of Slain would be very interesting to watch, as if we were watching something quality like LoGH. As is now a page of history, A/Z became Dull Perfect Guy vs Flawed Perfect Guy as they both try to outsmart each other so far in advance they are both literally using devices to predict each others movements in combat. So much for everything it had going.

As to IBO, I am worried the main character would be somewhat dull, but he's already worlds ahead of A/Z's protag. It's pretty clear Orga is disturbed by the emotionless troubled friend he has. As shown quite often our main character shot a guy and pretty was unphased, while the brave and strong Orga was clearly shaken. It shows that emotionless has some sort of effect on the world that is somewhat plausible. Mari Okada can ride that wave, I trust the writing.

Now for a blood powered Gundam. That's either gonna be a bloody mess or quickly forgotten. Like the blood sucking school uniform of yesteryear, or odd blood knives in Deadman Wonderland, I have low faith in blood-powered combat 'cause they often just forget about it until it can bail them out of some bad combat.

The thing I like most is that the setup seems to give us something often missing from Gundam, the group of main characters sticking together and on the run. A lot of the memorable moments of early Gundam came from White Base's decent to earth and the numerous famous(in anime history) battles against famous(in anime history) characters that all occured while they were on the run during part of a larger conflict. IBO seems to be aiming for some of that similar magic.

I don't see these kids as being the primary war effort, too many people in the OP to just be left behind on episode 3 or 4 or 5. But they'll be part of a much larger war story. The "Bad Guys" will have more things to concern themselves with than justify reasons for hounding after the Gundam of the Year. And likewise the heroes won't have to beat impossible odds because they won't be the focal point of the entire enemy's war effort. The bad Guys might create be Smart People with Smart Plans to be countered by Smart people with more Smart Plans (like Orga and those flares in the first battle, bought his people time and got the cowards running away involved in the fight).

I think its too early to tell if IBO will be good, But I'm leaning 70% on Yes.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
>It's a gripping portrayal of war that does not directly resemble any Gundam series that precedes it, leaving us all in suspense.

Quote:
>this show is Gundam at its most grown-up

I always wonder what this site think mature and grown up is. People here seem to think shooting someone means grown up which would explain why A/Z received such high marks here 3 episodes in.

H. Guderian wrote:

I gotta wave the A/Z comparisions out as well, because that show sold itself on Urobutcher starting off a pretty cool Real vs Super premise with the idea that the politics of Slain would be very interesting to watch, as if we were watching something quality like LoGH. As is now a page of history, A/Z became Dull Perfect Guy vs Flawed Perfect Guy as they both try to outsmart each other so far in advance they are both literally using devices to predict each others movements in combat. So much for everything it had going.

More like entirely flawed which needed to have everyone but the protagonist be an idiot.

Quote:
The thing I like most is that the setup seems to give us something often missing from Gundam, the group of main characters sticking together and on the run. A lot of the memorable moments of early Gundam came from White Base's decent to earth and the numerous famous(in anime history) battles against famous(in anime history) characters that all occured while they were on the run during part of a larger conflict. IBO seems to be aiming for some of that similar magic.

That's been a trope in every TV installment (G, and W being exceptions)

Last edited by Black Thunder 6 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first two episodes of Iron-Blooded Orphans, and although I like the premise and story so far, overall there's just way too much cringeworthy exposition and annoyingly melodramatic character-building for me to enjoy the series much at all. It really feels like Orphans is trying too hard to narratively convince me that I should be taking the show seriously, which instead winds up making me aware of those attempts to the point that I'm taken out of the story (it's like the writers are in that teenage phase trying to prove to their parents that they're mature adults, I feel a lot of Fremdscham from that). Also, the "chemistry" between the two lead male characters almost seems like purposeful dojinshi bait, which makes every interaction seem like the opening scene to a bad fan-fiction. I'm also personally not keen on the portrayal of most of its lead female characters so far, as mopey pacifists or gratingly cutesy children (the series could definitely stand to have more Allenby's or Lt. Noins). Anyways, I might give Orphans another few episodes to adjust, but so far I've spent more time facepalming at the character dialogue and interactions to at all like the show.
SayuriUliana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
People trying to compare Iron-Blooded Orphans to Aldnoah/Zero simply because of the Mars setting and the Princess-Peace Broker and then declaring they're similar seem to be missing the forest for the trees, shortsightedly focusing on superficial similarities. It's like taking a poodle and a carpet, and calling them the same because both are wooly. While there is technically some truth since they share some traits, it obviously ignores the larger and more nuanced differences between them. In the case of A/Z vs IBO:

A/Z - Is the story of how a young group of reservist school students attempt to survive an invasion of Earth from technologically superior Martians, with their fates accidentally intertwined with a Martian princess who may hold the key to stopping the war.
IBO - The story of a ragtag group of child soldiers who try to eke out a living among the harsh conditions of Mars, with their latest client being a young female with political influence who seeks to broker independence from Earth.

They share some details, but otherwise the focus and execution of both series are vastly different. There have been so many stories told throughout millennia of history that truly original stories are incredibly difficult to come by. Execution and presentation is what will differentiate one title from another though, and whether it'll be memorable, or forgettable.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:

I always wonder what this site think mature and grown up is. People here seem to think shooting someone means grown up which would explain why A/Z received such high marks here 3 episodes in.

"This site" doesn't think anything, because it has over a dozen writers with completely different tastes, and the reviewer for Aldnoah.Zero daily streaming (Theron Martin) is a completely different person from the reviewer for Gundam: IBO (Lauren Orsini). In fact, both of them are completely different individuals from the ones who reviewed the full first cour of Aldnoah.Zero as its own thing (Nick Creamer) and the first Blu-ray release which contained six episodes (Rebecca Silverman). The site has at least three completely different takes on Aldnoah.Zero alone (if you ignore the preview guide), and "the site" doesn't think any one specific thing about the show. Bylines exist to be read. Reviews don't pop fully formed from some amorphous wad of what a site of this size "thinks", (which is a silly concept to begin with), they're written by completely different individuals that the site publishes under their completely different names.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Black Thunder 6 wrote:

"This site" doesn't think anything, because it has over a dozen writers with completely different tastes, and the reviewer for Aldnoah.Zero daily streaming (Theron Martin) is a completely different person from the reviewer for Gundam: IBO (Lauren Orsini). In fact, both of them are completely different individuals from the ones who reviewed the full first cour of Aldnoah.Zero as its own thing (Nick Creamer) and the first Blu-ray release which contained six episodes (Rebecca Silverman). The site has at least three completely different takes on Aldnoah.Zero alone (if you ignore the preview guide), and "the site" doesn't think any one specific thing about the show. Bylines exist to be read. Reviews don't pop fully formed from some amorphous wad of what a site of this size "thinks", (which is a silly concept to begin with), they're written by completely different individuals that the site publishes under their completely different names.

{Quit the soapboxing. ~nobahn}
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:

All of which are positive for the exact same reason IBO is lauded while GBF and G-Reco was slammed. Funny how that works. Rolling Eyes

Largely unimpressed B- review, another largely unimpressed B- review, and a preview guide where two out of three writers admit to watching the show purely for ironic enjoyment. All told, comprising three different writers on staff with wildly different tastes. And you're comparing it to the work of one writer for Gundam so far, who has never written about Aldnoah.Zero to begin with.

Okay, I got it. You don't actually read the content you complain about, and everyone should ignore your criticisms. Thanks for letting us know.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
{Quit the soapboxing. ~nobahn}
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 47