• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:51 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
meiam wrote:
Oh one thing... did Africa take over europe?

Your eyes do not deceive you. Africa owns both Europe and most of the Middle East as well. In addition, Russia owns Alaska and Canada, and we have been occupied by South America.

Mari Okada clearly has been looking at the migrant, Russian aggression, and immigration issues and came up with bleak results in all cases for the Western world. I am somewhat surprised that Lauren did not catch onto this.

Before you think she's just picking on us, she has China conquering Japan on that map too. There is also a giant hole where Sydney should be. So yeah. Bleak.
I'll grant you that the name "African Union" makes it pretty unambiguous as to where the centre of power lies in that economic bloc, but for the others it's not quite that clear. "Strategic Alliance Union" is pretty nondescript, so its HQ could be anywhere, while "Arbrau" is even more meaningless. Sure, as a Russian I did initially assume a Russocentric interpretation ("So we gave up Kaliningrad, the south Kuriles, um, The Peninsula That Must Not Be Named, as well as any and all claims to dominance in the post-Soviet space in exchange for all of Canada, Alaska and Svalbard? Pretty good deal, if you ask me!"), but for all we know it could be Canada that devoured us and not the other way round.

As for the fourth bloc, the name "Oceanian Federation" seems to imply Australian dominance more than either Chinese or Japanese one. However, that would be odd, since the gaping hole in Australia implies that it had suffered the same fate as in the original Gundam. NZ dominance, perhaps?

Oh, and apparently nobody wants Greenland.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
I'll grant you that the name "African Union" makes it pretty unambiguous as to where the centre of power lies in that economic bloc, but for the others it's not quite that clear. "Strategic Alliance Union" is pretty nondescript, so its HQ could be anywhere, while "Arbrau" is even more meaningless. Sure, as a Russian I did initially assume a Russocentric interpretation ("So we gave up Kaliningrad, the south Kuriles, um, The Peninsula That Must Not Be Named, as well as any and all claims to dominance in the post-Soviet space in exchange for all of Canada, Alaska and Svalbard? Pretty good deal, if you ask me!"), but for all we know it could be Canada that devoured us and not the other way round.

As for the fourth bloc, the name "Oceanian Federation" seems to imply Australian dominance more than either Chinese or Japanese one. However, that would be odd, since the gaping hole in Australia implies that it had suffered the same fate as in the original Gundam. NZ dominance, perhaps?

Oh, and apparently nobody wants Greenland.

Hehe "with the help of our armored moose and our engineer corps special beaver mobile suit we shall overtake the Russian gunbear cavalry"

China taking over japan is a given, so no surprise there. Oceanian federation being dominated by Australia could make sense, maybe they saw whatever happen coming and so invaded everything around to evacuate Australia. Or new Zealand armored sheep, one or the other, there just as likely.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Before you think she's just picking on us, she has China conquering Japan on that map too. There is also a giant hole where Sydney should be. So yeah. Bleak.

Sydney should get it in every Gundam, even Build Fighters.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The inspectors travel to Mars to figure out what Major Coral is trying to cover up, but why is he concealing the failed military effort? His own pride? If he admits what happened, it makes sense that Gjallarhorn would provide him with reserve mobile suits to deploy on Mars.

While I agree the the political situation could use more clarification, it seems pretty obvious to me that Major Corals actions aren't sanctioned by Gjallarhorn's top brass/leadership or at least not officially. Its possible that someone within Gjallahorn's leadership is supporting Major Coral, but if so its probably being done secretly. Sending back a request for more mobile suits might raise too many red flags and result in a more thorough investigation.

Another possibility is that if Major Coral requests more mobile suits it will mean he failed his objective and will be severely punished.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I'm just glad Todo is gonna be out of the story soon, hate it when joke character suddenly become important in the plot. I could only guess Orga already figured out he's gonna betray them, can't see any other reason why he wouldn't actually take part in the negotiation himself otherwise.

If it turns out that they have not been aware of his subterfuge all along, tables will be flipped. He can't even wait until they leave to start evilly smirking, so if they actually trust him, they're all too stupid to live.

Did they deliberately sabotage the cornpicker to make it dump half the crop on the ground for them to glean? At the rate that was leaving ears behind, it would be more efficient to just contract some Human Debris and harvest it all manually, keeping some back for food.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
One thing I like about this series is it actually acknowledges the sticky legal situation of taking over a military contractor firm by force. And making sure all your ducks are in a row before making your next business move. Bureaucracy!
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
So far this Gundam series has yet to disappoint which is a good sign... or it could be a setup for a very, very big fall towards the end. Only time will tell.

I'm actually quite surprised at the mention of Gundams showing up at various turning points in history. That's a bit of a meta comment.
Radrappy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Really, REALLY enjoying this series so far. Im liking how political everything is and love being part of a fun underdog team for once. Celestial being was very pretentious and un-relatable. These guys are just trying to make a living! The fight choreography has also been a lot of fun so far.

My only major complaints are that

-Kudelia Bernstein is an incredibly worn out trope of a character and I'm not really interested in her whole Relena Peacecraft-esque story of an aristocrat learning to get her hands dirty.

-The Gundam looks great but the mecha design for everything else is especially uninspired. I hope they can be more creative with later mobile suits. Grunts are really what end up defining each series.

- the Character designs in general are very bland. The blonde rival is pretty embarrassingly boring.

apart from that, really enjoying myself and I hope it can keep up the pacing and fun of this week's episode.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Radrappy wrote:
Really, REALLY enjoying this series so far. Im liking how political everything is and love being part of a fun underdog team for once. Celestial being was very pretentious and un-relatable. These guys are just trying to make a living! The fight choreography has also been a lot of fun so far.

My only major complaints are that

-Kudelia Bernstein is an incredibly worn out trope of a character and I'm not really interested in her whole Relena Peacecraft-esque story of an aristocrat learning to get her hands dirty.

-The Gundam looks great but the mecha design for everything else is especially uninspired. I hope they can be more creative with later mobile suits. Grunts are really what end up defining each series.

- the Character designs in general are very bland. The blonde rival is pretty embarrassingly boring.

apart from that, really enjoying myself and I hope it can keep up the pacing and fun of this week's episode.
Relena never really got her hands dirty. In fact, she hardly did much of anything. She talked a lot, and for the most part nothing really came of it. Heero and the other Gundam pilots did pretty much all of the work. Kudelia strikes me as more interesting because I could definitely see her becoming a mobile suit pilot at some point and not staying a pure aristocrat the whole time. And even if she doesn't, she is at least trying to bring herself down to their level, physically helping out when needed.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

I'm actually quite surprised at the mention of Gundams showing up at various turning points in history. That's a bit of a meta comment.

That we kind of a weird thing to bring up. It actively makes me wonder if this a stealth sequel to something. Like far in the future of Turn A or something
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Nyren wrote:

That we kind of a weird thing to bring up. It actively makes me wonder if this a stealth sequel to something. Like far in the future of Turn A or something
Nah, that G-Reco. Tomino confirmed it was actually a Turn A sequel, except like 3,000 years later or so. Which explains why Ameria was still a place and there was only one space colony.

If anything, Iron-Blooded Orphans would make more sense as a Gundam X sequel, but that specific scene implies this has happened quite a number of time, not just once or twice.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
so he's ok now? no physical problem spoiler[(bleeding)] when controlling the mech?

which was odd... did they upgrade the system or something?
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
so he's ok now? no physical problem spoiler[(bleeding)] when controlling the mech?

which was odd... did they upgrade the system or something?
I think that was just the initial shock/melding of man and machine. One that's over it's perfectly fine to continue using. Unless it has other effects that we haven't seen yet.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Nyren wrote:

I still like to think that this timeline is somehow connected to Gundam AGE.
Mars and the appearance of the mechs are what did it for me.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Remnants of Zeon hid out on Mars, and humans have been sending ships out to Jupiter, as is confirmed in Zeta Gundam. While I don't hate AGE, there's enough of Mars around in other universes to give reasonable doubt that they're nodding to any one timeline.

As to Orphans as of episode 5 I find it wonderful I can be expecting so much from a Gundam and still be surprised by what actually happens. The writing is done in such a way that my usual complaints are lessened. Okada Gundam is a good Gundam, so far.

When Orga grins, I smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 47