• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Concrete Revolutio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
IT'S THE FREAKING 60'S/70'S!!! What did you expect?

Just because it was a fictional trope then doesn't mean it was the actual truth of the time period. If it were, there wouldn't be any old lesbians now. So there's no reason to resurrect that trope when a period story is being told by 21st century writers who know better (even in Japan) and aren't being forced by any media codes that require a bad end.

I finally got around to watching 14 and 15 and while I agree it made more sense that last season, I'm still not sure I care. If I could marathon it, it would undoubtedly make more sense, but I can only stand to watch a couple episodes at a time before I burn out. I think I'll probably just read the reviews and see if I can piece the story together that way. The time hopping was sort of fun in the first episode, but I really don't see the narrative advantage over a linear timeline that's gained by telling the story this way. It just seems to be confusing for the sake of confusion.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
This felt like a more of a down time episode, a good one. But honestly I prefer the episode with a lot going on, the show has a lot going on, and to side track to a smaller event, while not bad, is taking up an episode that could of been put to greater use. I hope this linear narrative was a decision they had made, not caving into demands, the none linear narrative gave the show more mystery as we led us wondering why certain events in the future had happened.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is the message about respecting the environment, honoring it along with human activity? This is indicated near the end when it's suggested that the events are "so human-centric" that the forest gods "must get a little lonely." Concrete Revolutio has had "respect the environment" episodes before, so it's not puzzling (especially since it aired on Earth Day). It could also represent how Japan's push to modernize and be respected among the post-war international community can lead to neglecting its history and traditions, which the forest gods could also represent. Early in the episode, we hear characters discussing how this competition, like earlier ones in the era (such as the 1964 Tokyo Olympics), will show the world that Japan is "post-war" now. Concrete Revolutio has also dwelt previously on learning the lessons of the past, and the forest gods, representing ancient knowledge and tradition, reflect that past. In Amato's case, he saves the day with his connection to that past: by recalling and recreating the forest ritual from his boyhood. It also refers back to his worry about not being able to represent his nation. In a way, Amato manages to represent Japan better than anybody else.
There's also an additional angle to consider here - that of the indigenous people of the area, the Ainu. Unlike the latest episode of Kuma Miko this show acts a little more typically of Japanese media by seemingly going out of its way not to use the A-word, but the name of the god is a clear reference to their culture. It's widely known in Japan that pirka (or pirika in Japanese pronunciation) is an Ainu root: some will know that it's a word meaning "good" or "beautiful", while others will recognize it from geographic names like the Pirika Dam or the Japanese word for "tufted puffin", etopirika. That pi is Ainu for "seed" can also be easily confirmed (though some sources say it's piye, possibly reflecting dialect differences).

The massive Japanese colonization of Hokkaido started as part of the massive push for modernization that was the Meiji Restoration, so Ainu culture can be said to be one of the biggest victims of said modernization in Japan. Modern day descendants of Ainu are almost completely assimilated into the mainstream Japanese culture, while the Ainu language is all but guaranteed to go extinct within this century, if not much sooner. Now I don't know how common it was for Shinto shrines in Hokkaido to incorporate Ainu rituals into their practices, but the fact that Amato was apparently raised in a community that upheld a tradition honouring an Ainu deity may hint at another reason why he was hesitant to represent Japan. His character design, when compared to most other characters, might be another hint:

Wikipedia wrote:
In 1893, Anthropologist Arnold Henry Savage Landor described the Ainu as having deep-set eyes and an eye shape typical of Europeans, with a large and prominent browridge, large ears, hairy and prone to baldness, slightly flattened hook nose with large and broad nostrils, prominent cheek bones, large mouth and thick lips and a long region from nose to mouth and small chin region.

Maybe due to his heritage he wasn't fully secure in his identity and, consciously or otherwise, felt a disconnect from the officially and unofficially promoted idea of Japanese-ness (it wasn't until 1997 that the state even acknowledged the existence of a distinct Ainu identity). Additionally, maybe the requirement to undergo superhuman modifications in order to stay on the team could be a metaphor for tacitly enforced assimilation. In the end he does save the day for Team Japan, while also making it clear that he was first and foremost motivated by the love of the sport and respect for the athletes' efforts rather than a desire to contribute to some grand national restoration project.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
It's a pity that ConRevo didn't have Earth-chan show up for Earth Day.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
@vonPeterhof: That's really interesting. I didn't know as much about the Ainu's specific history with modernization/urbanization, but you're probably right!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edl01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It could also represent how Japan's push to modernize and be respected among the post-war international community can lead to neglecting its history and traditions

This was the message I got from the episode, although the points of @vonPeterhof are extremely interesting to read. Trying to move towards the future by burying and ignoring the past is often something that turns out very poorly.

The other interesting theme delved into felt to me kind of like an expansion on previous episodes idea that, "Rainbow Knight was a Super Human", specifically in how it portrays an ordinary person going above and beyond to save the day in the same way a Super Human would, raising the question as to if there is really a difference between them, kinda like the X-men to draw a kinda forced parallel.

Wasn't too huge a fan on this episode at first honestly, but honestly after mulling on it for a bit I quite liked it. Not my favorite episode for sure but it was just generally well done and interesting.
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote
I really liked this episode, had a nice touching/moving scene there.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else get End of Evangelion flashbacks when she appeared on the surface as a giant head?
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's nice that the writers are finally getting the story's many tracks under control and not introducing any new stuff until everything is in sync.

Actually I think this is more because we've had a lot of guest writers this season, if I can re-find the list of who's doing what episode I will but the past two have been guest writers IIRC, hence no time skips.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
iirc the first cour/season was also filled with guest writers, was it not?
I don't really like this backhanded compliment style of assessing the series only in comparison with the first season, as if that was a jumbled mess that nobody liked/made sense of. I felt like even the more message-like episodes in the first season were better than the last two because of the way the characters were used. Devila and Devilo, plus Dude-In-Ski-With-a-Forgettable-Name seem completely one-note and not likely to reappear or influence anything.
I also felt the last episode had some really awkward animation all around, though that's been a thing in like every other episode by this point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought episode 17 had a pretty strong theme, which to me was about immigration and kind of like the situation with things like Muslims. There was the general idea about the demons being monsters, and a need to blame them for disasters, that the people think that an earthquake destroying a tunnel has to be the fault of the demons, much like people look for the reasoning with supposed terrorist attacks. The response to her having bare breasts is that the show is sexualising this female character, that in some way she is being oppressed as a tool to excite certain parts of the audience, but that reasoning is also somewhat of a problem as Devila is clearly as strong as she has different morals to the culture above. The catfish decides to be the bigger man in removing himself from the conflict, but doing this does not always get the message and just makes them think they beat a monster, and Devila then does the same thing and tries to do the same thing and tries to get the message across that they never had any intention of invading, and although she might be big and scary, being scary is not all in that there is also a beauty to it.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
iirc the first cour/season was also filled with guest writers, was it not?
I don't really like this backhanded compliment style of assessing the series only in comparison with the first season, as if that was a jumbled mess that nobody liked/made sense of.

Agreed. The first season might not have been particularly easy to follow, but I enjoyed it very much.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:02 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I don't really like this backhanded compliment style of assessing the series only in comparison with the first season, as if that was a jumbled mess that nobody liked/made sense of.
There seems to be a big disconnect between fans of the series, and people just watching it. season 1 had an ongoing narrative with a few standalones to introduce new characters. I fear this season may of been changed to appeal to the none fans in an attempt to bring them over, which explains why the reviewer has liked season 2 more. But it is a shame for those who liked the first season.

So far this season has been only standalones, which worries me. If this continues how will the show be resolved? I really hope they start an ongoing story soon.
Hououin Wooser

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I quite don't understand the years. I mean, in season 1 and 2's reviews they speak like they're in the 60s and 70s, but in the episodes the numbers they show are in the 40s. Can anybody be polite enough to explain me this?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
It's the Japanese year system, year x of y era, which in the case of the show corresponds to the 1960's and 1970's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10