×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the new ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Edited-For-Television Versions Of Anime Get Preserved?


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CatSword



Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 1418
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
In terms of "edited for TV", Toonami/Adult Swim has gotten looser (From what I've seen). Just look at SAO II and Parasyte: "S---" has been uttered and some gruesome violence.


The spoiler[dick arm] got censored out of Parasyte though, which makes no sense because it's spoiler[not actually a dick]. Still, I'm sure one day someone will be disappointed because they wanted to share Parasyte with their children or queasy lover and they can't find the TV version with that awful spoiler[dick arm] removed...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 04 Oct 2002
Posts: 2111
Location: Springfield, MO
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
And by Discotek in the US.

It was released by NISA (Discotek released the first movie, which I don't think has an Animax dub), and it's also streaming on Crunchyroll.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Polycell



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 4623
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
One of the better TV edits I've seen would be Samurai Champloo since Geneon used record scratches instead of beeps to edit language, which fit with the show itself. Honestly, I thought the record scratches instead of swearing was a stylistic choice that was actually part of the show until I bought the first DVD. Since beeps are the standard way of editing language without recording a sanitized version, I guess I assumed at the time that nobody would bother getting a little creative with the audio.
This reminds me of the first episode of Sealab 2021: they were originally going to leave the FCC lines unbleeped for the release, but decided against it when they stopped and compared the two versions and realized the bleeps were funnier. Unfortunately, whether or not the broadcast master was created in time, I'm not sure the folks at Funi would much care for the idea of bleeping out cussing on the home video version for any reason(didn't they have the Strawhats cussing like sailors in a damn children's shown?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrno2



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 6157
Location: USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
Once it reaches the Internet, it will be preserved for as long as technology and fans exist. And for card captor Sakura (not the best work from clamp) I would prefer the subbed. I haven't heard it in any other language besides English and Japanese, but the English version was horrible.


Ah the memories of "Cardcraptors".
Why couldn't they just release the show and not try to cater it to young boys by switching the eps around. Oh the days that me and my friend would watch an episode of the real JP version from a friend who had them raw on tape. Then turn on the TV on Sat morning and the same ep would show up cut and bastardized.

I could understand some of the things they had to edit out but I could not understand why they screwed that show up that badly. Hell, there was so much buzz around it before the days of YT and social media that people literally began to enjoy making fun of those eps. Becoming the topics of Fanfiction.net and forum discussion. I miss those days of laughing in anger. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 7163
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Ah the memories of "Cardcraptors".
Why couldn't they just release the show and not try to cater it to young boys by switching the eps around.


Supposedly, it's harder to sell toys to an action show when the protagonist is female unless you market it exclusively as a girls' show (like with The Powerpuff Girls). On the other hand, if the protagonist is male, toys can be sold to both boys and girls.

This is my best guess anyway. Obviously, with shows like Star vs. the Forces of Evil, it doesn't seem to be the case anymore, with both boys and girls watching, though Star (a girl) and Marco (a boy) get roughly equal screen time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darkabomination



Joined: 17 Mar 2015
Posts: 83
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
Steven Universe might be getting similar treatment, now that there's finally going to be merch for it next year. Sucks such an outdated system burned a lot of good cartoons, because execs wet themselves at the thought that girls might be viable customers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EricJ2



Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 4016
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Ah the memories of "Cardcraptors".
Why couldn't they just release the show and not try to cater it to young boys by switching the eps around.


Supposedly, it's harder to sell toys to an action show when the protagonist is female unless you market it exclusively as a girls' show (like with The Powerpuff Girls). On the other hand, if the protagonist is male, toys can be sold to both boys and girls.


Also, it was more PC in the US to say that the heroine loved action (she's always roller-skating and cheerleading, you know), than the cute Japanese running gag about Sakura getting "Ho-eee... Anime smile + sweatdrop " cold-feet about going into battle.
So, most of the "I'm too embarrassed to fight in this outfit!" gags had to be altered for empowered Western audiences, and suggest that Sakura was an adrenaline junkie who couldn't wait to fight the MOTW.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 7163
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've worked with a lot of kids, and at least as early as 2003, I saw that boys had little to no problem with, say, playing as female characters in video games or getting merchandise of female characters, though they are a bit hesitant unless they also get a male character.

But the idea that boys get cooties or such if they associate with girls is gone, at least around here.

Oh yeah, and regarding the edited version of Cardcaptors: I never thought for even a second that Li was the protagonist. Their editing didn't convince me, I guess, though I always thought it odd that marketing referred to the two as "Li and Sakura."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4138
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
That's kind of a massive bummer to be honest. I know that I would be far more willing to lend certain anime series to my little siblings if I could get my hands on these edited versions.

That being said, I still have a quartet of VHS tapes that contain the Toonami version of Gundam Wings, as some of those "bowdlerized" lines are actually my favorites. I need to find a way to convert them digitally so that they can last longer . . .


well one bit to advice.

NEVER LET THEM SEE THE EDITED VERSIONS OF CCS!

It might just turn them into those dub hating sub only elitists like my sister.

that hack that nelvana did was downright atrocious and would have been worst ever if 4kids didn't massacred one piece and shaman king(which still haven't been rescued by a respected company cause of those hack edits)

personally the only edited tv versions should be preserved are the DIC version of sailor moon (for young girls in the 7-10 category & which i currently have their VHS releases) and saint seiya (for boys in the 7-12 age category) considering those edits were way back in the 90's, as well as the Ocean Studios version of DBZ which was brought back by funi(probablyfor a nostaliga feeling).

not to mentioned the edited versions of gundam wing and g gundam which helped the franchise become popular during the toonami era.

HOWEVER, the edited versions of those series i mentioned should only be aimed at little kids in the 7-12 category to get the younger audience influenced into the anime universe before getting them involved with their uncut versions as well as other series that are basically not for kids.

show them very bad edited series like the hack that 4kids did (excluding pokemon) as well as the atrocious versions of series did by nelvana and it might make them into sub only otakus & thereby those hacked up versions must be erased from existence,never to see the light of day again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lann



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 240
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I have all the ADV DVDs of the English version of Medabots. Its got great quality. Love it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Paiprince



Joined: 21 Dec 2013
Posts: 593
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
bj_waters wrote:
That's kind of a massive bummer to be honest. I know that I would be far more willing to lend certain anime series to my little siblings if I could get my hands on these edited versions.

That being said, I still have a quartet of VHS tapes that contain the Toonami version of Gundam Wings, as some of those "bowdlerized" lines are actually my favorites. I need to find a way to convert them digitally so that they can last longer . . .


well one bit to advice.

NEVER LET THEM SEE THE EDITED VERSIONS OF CCS!

It might just turn them into those dub hating sub only elitists like my sister.

that hack that nelvana did was downright atrocious and would have been worst ever if 4kids didn't massacred one piece and shaman king(which still haven't been rescued by a respected company cause of those hack edits)

personally the only edited tv versions should be preserved are the DIC version of sailor moon (for young girls in the 7-10 category & which i currently have their VHS releases) and saint seiya (for boys in the 7-12 age category) considering those edits were way back in the 90's, as well as the Ocean Studios version of DBZ which was brought back by funi(probablyfor a nostaliga feeling).

not to mentioned the edited versions of gundam wing and g gundam which helped the franchise become popular during the toonami era.

HOWEVER, the edited versions of those series i mentioned should only be aimed at little kids in the 7-12 category to get the younger audience influenced into the anime universe before getting them involved with their uncut versions as well as other series that are basically not for kids.

show them very bad edited series like the hack that 4kids did (excluding pokemon) as well as the atrocious versions of series did by nelvana and it might make them into sub only otakus & thereby those hacked up versions must be erased from existence,never to see the light of day again.


Way to demonize a huge chunk of the overseas anime fandom just because of their preference. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 7163
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I should say that I subsisted on those kinds of dubs for a while. I never became a sub purist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group