• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Do The English-Speaking Actors In Japan Come From?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Also relevant: in the early days of game localizations, especially in the PS1 era, they were responsible for providing English voice work for Japanese games. Think Tenchu: Stealth Assassins and Mega Man X4.

Needless to say, those dubs are pretty infamous nowadays.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that professional English speakers aren't used more, like Donna Burke:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/drive/the-australian-voice-of-japans-bullet-train-and-metal-gear-solid/6758248.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
What gets me is when the studio hires native English speakers and then gives them dialogue on the level of "All your base are belong to us."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqAitC_3-8c

That being said, not all English-language performances are bad. The ones in the first episode of Eden of the East stand out as being so good you'd have a hard time distinguishing the original language track from Funi's dub.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Where do native English speakers come from ? Take a wild guess.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
There was an anime that was a co-production with, I believe, Singapore, where they originally recorded the lip-synced the production to the English language (which was recorded in Japan), while the Japanese language track came second. The series in question was One Stormy Night and the English version is available on Hulu, in case anyone's curious enough to check it out. Although the voices themselves weren't too bad and it did seem like the actors had some experience, the voice work was still not fantastic. It didn't help the studio they used had a very limited pool of actors.

I believe it was the same pool of voice actors used in the Arc Rise Fantasia dub released in the west. Not sure if the same director, though.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
and then there is kiniro mosaic.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the performances are often so terrible that it might even ruin the scene they're in.

IMO nowadays this is inexcusable for two reasons. The first is that with the internet, it is quite plausible to get next day native talent in their native countries by contacting (or even having an established business deal) overseas talent agencies (by the same ticket, some japanese voice actors might get small roles in foreign productions). Why get scraps quality voice acting if you can get dubbing as least as good as what the cartoon network or nickelodeon gets? The second is streaming, when you are making money by selling said streaming rights to foreigners, it is quite disrespectful to have a substandard voice acting in English or Chinese, even if said series are comedies, the joke is not about how awful the voice acting is in other languages.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
They are tourists that never left? or foreigners who are living/working there

a classmate of mine from college is working over there atm as a teacher.

only today that i found out you don't need a Visa to travel to japan (if stay less than 90 days) and you can bring in about $8415

that's $3000 more than some places..
0nsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Tonagura had some scenes with surprisingly good English in it.

Last edited by 0nsen on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, the fun about listen "weird languages uses" are everywhere. This happens also in many english or U.S. shows

In many tv series or movies, mostly the U.S.A. ones i laugh a lot when a char, mostly to seem intellectual or cultured use the latin formula "qui pro quo"

QUI PRO QUO means " to mistake something (qui) for (pro) another thing (quo)", so it means simply " to make an error" or litterally "mistake this for that" but the english speaking people usually confuse "mistake" with a "trade" so it become in many U.S.A. shows: i give this for that, and it is simply wrong for everyone who knows the latin language.

the right latin phrase for an exchange is DO UT DES: i give (do) in order that (ut) you give to me (des)

this exemple is only to show that people can laugh about the engRish used and the poor use of the english language from the japanese actors and seyuu, but well, it's the same the world over, japanese can't speak english propely in the same way english one can't really speak latin, italian or french and are funny to listen when they try.

When i listen an american actor use latin, not only about the pronunciation but also about the meanings of the sentence, for me it's the same.

Last edited by Scrap on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the best English speech by a seiyuu that I've heard was in Karen Senki. Urara Takano's English was pretty much perfect (and she also speaks English in her voice sample (starting 4th minute):
http://remax-web.jp/woman/T/takano_u/voice.htm.
As for the non-Japanese seiyuus, Jenya, Russian-born seiyuu, played an american girl in "My Sister is American" web-manga and her English there was great
http://mcs.ensoku.club/con/357
If we speak about popular seiyuus, Tomokazu Sigita spoke pretty nice English at Assassination Classroom.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
and then there is kiniro mosaic.

Yes, I loved the first series, even with the weird English, haven't seen the second series yet (and it's good to include the hyphen to make it Kin-iro Mosaic to clarify how it's written in Japanese, きんいろモザイク).

After a while one gets used to some of the ways that Japanese can sing or speak English, as in the Kin-Iro Mosaic ED "Your Voice":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVkqnN7Bl9g
0nsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
@Scrap: They don't say "qui", they say "quid". "Quid pro quo".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quid_pro_quo
Scrap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
@Scrap: They don't say "qui", they say "quid". "Quid pro quo".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quid_pro_quo

qui pro quo or quid pro quo is the same.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiproquo

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qui_pro_quo

:wave:
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Japanese studios should throw a Youtube celebrity a bone or other YT content creators who do voice acting, it's not only cheaper especially if you get one that's popular but not partnered but it gives the content creator some exposure. Just watch the streaming numbers increase if even one episode had some character voiced by Pewdiepie or Markiplier, they wouldn't be able to handle the traffic for the rest of the month.

Last edited by Hoppy800 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7