• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Launches App on Nintendo Wii

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
How timely.

Another vote for New 3DS...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
They sold 50 million Wiis in America alone and by all accounts plenty of people still use them. I would imagine development for this app was dirt cheap and thus it wouldn't hurt to throw one out and see how many people still use it.

Not a bad test for "are people still using this old console with streaming capabilities enough for us to support it".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Anddo wrote:
You ever wake up in the morning and think "let's do some absurdly nonsensical shit"? That's what a Netflix executive went through with this announcement.

Nah, the Netflix executive, after waking up in the morning, did some exercise routines on Wii Fit, played a round of Wii Sports tennis with his wife, and drove off for working thinking of more ways he could use the Wii in his house. Meanwhile, his son keeps complaining that he can't play Super Mario 3D World or Splatoon on that Wii. it says "Wii U" on the box, but what difference does that make? It's just a letter!

But yeah. Mario Kart Wii continues to sell well, so that should be an indication of the system's continued popularity. And I still meet plenty of people who STILL don't know a Wii U is not a Wii with a tablet connected to it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Dang, I haven't used my Wii in quite a while. CR, where were you when I was bingewatching series via Wii on a regular basis with Netflix?

I kinda wanna do some WIi bowling too...I should get my Wii out...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the glorious Dead or Alive news this week, this is the 2nd biggest thing to happen this week related to a game console.
LEGOF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Might have been cool a few years ago? Honestly Nintendo, your resources could have been better allocated to the 3DS instead.
flackenstien

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:28 am Reply with quote
>still no 3DS app.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
Wiiware has been such a desert for years that the big userbase defense doesn't hold much water. Wii's digital adoption was always lower than the competition, presumably due to the kind of audience it attracted. I can't imagine much of its active userbase in 2015 are checking the eShop anymore and are interested in anime.

A 3DS app sounds bad. Have you guys tried watching Youtube or Netflix on it?
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Huh. Took a long time but better late than never I guess. I got a couple new Wii games, maybe I should try them out...
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Wiiware has been such a desert for years that the big userbase defense doesn't hold much water. Wii's digital adoption was always lower than the competition, presumably due to the kind of audience it attracted. I can't imagine much of its active userbase in 2015 are checking the eShop anymore and are interested in anime.

A 3DS app sounds bad. Have you guys tried watching Youtube or Netflix on it?

I've actually streamed YouTube and Netflix on a 2ds before. The quality is just horrible and the small screen on the 2ds makes it even worse.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
This app is extremely late! It should've been released a few years ago when, you know, more people were still using the Wii.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
Wii is pretty much almost only Just Dance and Brawl mods for now.

Hey? Not that Ninty just cut the Online in the Wii?! I am confused.

The actual online functionality of the Wii still works fine, most online Wii games no longer have service. However, with homebrew mods you can get unofficial mod servers up and running.

I sometimes play Mario Kart Wii on these servers, the competition is intense as hell since basically everyone on there is a hardcore competitive/clan player. There are Brawl servers too. And how could a user named "FalconPunch" forget about F-Zero GX? I still play that on my Wii religiously though I often emulate it these days, on my PC it's gorgeous.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
FalconPunch wrote:
Wii is pretty much almost only Just Dance and Brawl mods for now.

Hey? Not that Ninty just cut the Online in the Wii?! I am confused.

The actual online functionality of the Wii still works fine, most online Wii games no longer have service. However, with homebrew mods you can get unofficial mod servers up and running.

I sometimes play Mario Kart Wii on these servers, the competition is intense as hell since basically everyone on there is a hardcore competitive/clan player. There are Brawl servers too. And how could a user named "FalconPunch" forget about F-Zero GX? I still play that on my Wii religiously though I often emulate it these days, on my PC it's gorgeous.

I love F-Zero GX so much, is the best racing game ever in the GC. Thanks for cleaning up my mind about the Wii net servers.

I also heard one COD of the Wii is still played online.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2