• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Anime Season 1 Gets DVD Release With English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I personally look forward to buying this, as I somehow doubt a 40+ volume series without a big name behind it would ever get licensed. I've heard good things about the manga and hope the anime lives up to it. And I hope they get season 2 (in case I enjoy s1). I don't buy manga Funi releases, so that I plan to buy this is quite rare (I mostly buy Discotek and Nozomi series these days, I like older things)
MysticLeviathan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I personally look forward to buying this, as I somehow doubt a 40+ volume series without a big name behind it would ever get licensed. I've heard good things about the manga and hope the anime lives up to it. And I hope they get season 2 (in case I enjoy s1). I don't buy manga Funi releases, so that I plan to buy this is quite rare (I mostly buy Discotek and Nozomi series these days, I like older things)

The anime is not as good as the manga, like most series, but it's argably detrimental to the series the way the Toriko anime was. The animation is a total turnoff right from episode 1. It's also heavily censored and marketed more as a shonen, rather than as a seinen the way it's classified, which does hurt. And it ends up skipping an arc or two and changes around some of the story content. It's not horrible, but I really don't think it'll encourage you to follow the series the way reading the manga would. This isn't HxH quality anime, which is a real shame.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
MysticLeviathan wrote:
It's not horrible, but I really don't think it'll encourage you to follow the series the way reading the manga would. This isn't HxH quality anime, which is a real shame.

See, I'm having the complete opposite experience in a sense. I haven't seen the show yet, but my friends did when it was airing, and they both absolutely loved it. They both also saw the second season & then became fervently obsessed with the manga, and both of them are up to date with the fan translations of the manga.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
MysticLeviathan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
MysticLeviathan wrote:
It's not horrible, but I really don't think it'll encourage you to follow the series the way reading the manga would. This isn't HxH quality anime, which is a real shame.

See, I'm having the complete opposite experience in a sense. I haven't seen the show yet, but my friends did when it was airing, and they both absolutely loved it. They both also saw the second season & then became fervently obsessed with the manga, and both of them are up to date with the fan translations of the manga.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I'm thrilled there are people who loved it, and I really hope you start to love the series as well. For me, when I first started streaming it, I honestly thought my Flash Player was acting up, as my computer at the time was very old and slow and was prone to choppy video at times. But nope, it was the video itself that was choppy as hell.

If you can get past all that, it's pretty darn good overall. I just feel like there are a ton of people out there who will try and watch the series, but can't get past the first episode because of how awful the animation is, and then not even bother going to read the manga. Or maybe they'll watch the manga and some of the changed/censored scenes might not hit them the way the scenes in the manga did, and they might ask "isn't this series supposed to be great?".

I guess I probably should've just said that if you love the series, then great, but if you can't get through it or maybe the series isn't as gripping as you thought it might be, that you should try checking out the manga.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
Strange that the default is subs... hmm... oh well... as a dub only viever, i just have to switch it on the menu and be done with it Wink
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
I hope the sales will be good so they will license the second season as well.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
shuusei wrote:
kinda disappointing that they don't plan for blu ray

I don't think there is even a Japanese bluray release for this...

This is possible, it's the same for One Piece, Blu-rays don't exist till around Punk Hazard, Funi can't put out something that just doesn't exist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2