• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heavy Object

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The whole sequence feels rushed to the point of being more footnote or epilogue than fully developed plot point.

It's exactly that in the novel - the epilogue. The anime actually expanded on it by having an actual Object battle, the novel just kind of ends with the Councilor turning an Object on and Havia and Qwenthur on their way to destroy it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
At least with a book you have a title page or some other indication that time has passed. I thought Funimation's player had skipped part of the episode. One second Qwenther is lying on his back bleeding and the next Meilinda is fighting another object. I thought HO,HO, HO girl had attacked her. Then I saw Qwenther lying on a ridge providing guidance and I realized time had passed. That was a really poor transition.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
At least with a book you have a title page or some other indication that time has passed.

Well, the big give away was that Flide is said to be in a safe country so the fact that Froyletia was there with him clearly meant the scene was taking place later on.

Alan45 wrote:
I thought HO,HO, HO girl had attacked her.

But they told you that Object was the Exact Javelin before they started fighting.

Alan45 wrote:
Then I saw Qwenther lying on a ridge providing guidance and I realized time had passed. That was a really poor transition.

I'm not really sure how much. Qwenthur and Havia were still beat up so it seems like the anime is suggesting Qwenthur, Havia, Froyletia, and the princess all went directly over there.

I agree it was a poor transition though. If they were going to rush it, they should have just followed the LN since that would have taken less time at a normal pace. But oh well, just a minor complaint.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone notice that the Baby Magnum actually won one for once?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Quote:
But they told you that Object was the Exact Javelin before they started fighting.

I'm enjoying this show. I do think all the technical talk adds to the show. However, I'm not so into it that I'm keeping track of all the object types. Was that laughing girls object? She seems to be a continuing character.

It was nice to hear Meilinda triumphantly proclaim the victory of experience over superior tech. Of course it makes me wonder just how long she has been fighting. On a battlefield, it is not unusual for age and experience to win. It is just seems odd to think of her as an old soldier.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I'm enjoying this show. I do think all the technical talk adds to the show. However, I'm not so into it that I'm keeping track of all the object types. Was that laughing girls object? She seems to be a continuing character.

No, she pilots the Rush which was the twin gatling gun object that blocked the Baby Magnum earlier in the episode. She a continuing character, though a minor one.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
Thanks
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 was certainly rushed, especially at the end. They must be under tight schedule. I hope it don't get worse.

Though i also hope that things change up little they get defeated once in while. Being on winning streak maybe bit boring after so long, lacks some drama.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Quote:
Though i also hope that things change up little they get defeated once in while.

The problem with this is that in war, defeated usually means dead. As it is, all of their wins have been of the come from behind variety. In the first arc even their object lost.

Since the whole premise is foot soldiers taking on super tanks, it be very hard to see them surviving a complete loss.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Episode 8 was certainly rushed, especially at the end. They must be under tight schedule. I hope it don't get worse.

I think that is mostly due to the anime choosing to expand the epilogue. They could have cut that down significantly by just sticking with the book version and done it as a tid bit after the ending to free up some more time for the last part of chapter 3. I don't so much care that it is different from the books, but if they want to do something like that, they need to make sure they actually have the time for it rather than forcing it.

They're in general taking this quite slowly, at least so far. 8 episodes per volume is way higher than average for adaptions.
ChaseM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the episode, it will actually have meaning in the next arc. This will connect what happened in this episode to the multi part we will be seeing. Remember the cut cables and the missing power supply for the weapons. I won't say anymore to avoid spoilers for those who have not read the light novels.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9:

As usual a number of things didn't make much sense but whatever -- it was a lot of fun anyway.

Pro tip: if you are operating in Antartica and are wearing something that lets you be cold then you are under-equipped.

"That was far too straight forward a demand. But ..." LOL. Atta girl.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to like ep 9, but the anal retentive part of me kept getting its hackles up at some of the blatant silliness.

Qwenthur isn't rated to carry an infantry rifle?? Okay, at the start of the series, I might buy that. It's a bit ridiculous for a modern military to have anyone in the service who isn't qualified to actually fire a weapon, but this is the world of Objects and "clean wars" where grunts exist to shovel snow (the snow plow being long forgotten by history) and fart around avoiding work (actually pretty realistic), so I'll buy that.

But by the time you are sending the poor guy to the front lines to combat a battleship with his bare hands, or go on recon missions in the jungle with a single other infantryman, maybe you should teach the guy to defend himself.

If you have a counterterrorism operation that needs doing, either send in someone who is trained for it (there are presumably still people trained for hostage situations or ground recon in the future, right?), or...actually, there is no or! Don't send in your freakin' mechanic to take out a terrorist group in the harshest terrain on the planet! And if he absolutely needs to be there for some mission-critical reason, at least send him with more than one other dude and more than a single gun to split between them! Anime cry

Honestly if this organization ever gets wikileaked, the uproar from the public about how the military kept sending these poor schmoes into situations with a blatant disregard for force protection, proper training, or common darn sense will make Benghazi look like deflategate.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
^

I agree with you on this but then, who will not like the penguins scene. It is very hard to resist it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
@steelmirror

This is one of those series where you have to accept the background as stated and not think about it from a real world perspective. The idea that overwhelming force could stop all other forms of combat is simply silly. However, that is one of the stated propositions of the series.

Our heroes are sent in because they are the only combat hardened ground troops available. That is ridiculous but that is the premise of the story. If you question that, the whole thing falls apart. This show is too much fun to ruin with reality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12