• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Noragami Aragoto

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
secondkas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I was kind of disappointed in how they told the story this episode. It felt too rushed, with not enough emphasis on small moments of significance that would have heightened emotional notes. I get that their time is limited, but it was still less than it could have been.

I kinda agree, but I don't think the episode has turned bad because of it. It's good, it's just that when I read the manga I realize that there was more and I can't help but compare (I don't want to but I can't).

For example, the scene where Yato cut ties with Hiyori would have much more impact had they stated that doing so is the solution to Hiyori's out-of-body problem. It means that she was willing to accept her condition (the one she constantly nags him about) if she could continue being with Yato.

But the shrine scene was so moving. Only one big emotional moment per episode, I guess.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
secondkas wrote:
For example, the scene where Yato cut ties with Hiyori would have much more impact had they stated that doing so is the solution to Hiyori's out-of-body problem. It means that she was willing to accept her condition (the one she constantly nags him about) if she could continue being with Yato.

I dunno, do you really need that spelled out for you? That's been the implication from the beginning of the series. And her distressed reaction to the idea pretty much said what you just said. If she'd stated it any more directly, it would have come across like bad fan-fiction.

One thing I really loved about this episode was that Yato was so proud of Yukine (and not just because it reflects well on him, though that was obviously part of it), and put the spotlight on him while he stepped aside to enjoy Yukine basking in all the praise. Yukine doesn't get to do that much. Very Happy
Aisama

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I like this episode very much. I thought I would be immune to any emotional scene the anime throws at me because I read pass it already via the manga, and I have been well so far, until, Yato crying while receiving the mini-shrine. I got teary eyes. I was happy for him.

I also look forward to the incoming arc because it's my next best liked arc. =D
secondkas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I dunno, do you really need that spelled out for you? That's been the implication from the beginning of the series. And her distressed reaction to the idea pretty much said what you just said. If she'd stated it any more directly, it would have come across like bad fan-fiction.

Nah, if I'm going by anime alone, I wouldn't have thought of that as the solution to Hiyori's problem. And it wasn't spelled out, Yato didn't know how to fix her before; I, as a viewer, didn't know. That was the only reason she stuck around, until they got close. A simple mention of that to her would've added more weight and I don't remember even one sentence about it in the dialogue. It just seemed that Yato doesn't want her in danger, not granting her the wish she had in the beginning. She didn't need to make an emotional declaration, she replied the same thing in the manga (or was it even simpler?). But it felt different if that was added to the context.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
secondkas wrote:

Nah, if I'm going by anime alone, I wouldn't have thought of that as the solution to Hiyori's problem. And it wasn't spelled out, Yato didn't know how to fix her before; I, as a viewer, didn't know.

Anime-only viewer here, and I'd been operating under the assumption that cutting ties was the quickest solution to returning Hiyori to normal. It's been a while, but almost swear there was some mention of it during season 1.
secondkas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
^Hm, then I guess I forgot. Smile But then, why didn't Yato do it before, when he and Hiyori were practically strangers?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The beginning felt off in it's pacing with a quick moment of pause before Yato is about to sever his ties to Hiyori and then time skip and a few moments later, everything is the same.

Also, side note: how is it that no one thinks Hiyori has narcolepsy and treats it like some odd trick? It's not some rare, unknown disorder. I just find that really annoying.

The scene where Yato receives his shrine was excellently done and very moving.
Gabbomatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Ep 7 review wrote:
and looks like a BAMF

Does your mom know you talk like that? Still it's true. I hope we see more of her.

It stands for "boss, athlete, mother, fighter." Surprised
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
The beginning felt off in it's pacing with a quick moment of pause before Yato is about to sever his ties to Hiyori and then time skip and a few moments later, everything is the same.

Yeah, I also found this scene poorly done and confusing, and I didn't realize that Hiyori needed to cut her ties with Yato in order to cure herself. So a little exposition would have helped there.

Was the scene everybody was hinting toward last week the shrine scene? It was very nice, but I'm wondering if a shrine that no one can enter really "counts." Also, has Hiyori ever mentioned a brother before?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Was the scene everybody was hinting toward last week the shrine scene? It was very nice, but I'm wondering if a shrine that no one can enter really "counts."

Yes it was, and I think there should be a scene about whether or not the shrine "counts" next week. Wink
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Was the scene everybody was hinting toward last week the shrine scene? It was very nice, but I'm wondering if a shrine that no one can enter really "counts." Also, has Hiyori ever mentioned a brother before?

It definitely counts because it's a place where people can offer prayers to the god in question, that alone should be enough (or that's my interpretation, I haven't read the manga). Whether it counts towards making Yato a "legitimate" god, I'm not sure, but it definitely counts as far as being a shrine. I'm also not sure I'd ever heard Hiyori mentioning her brother before.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

It's because they changed it from the manga. Originally it was supposed to be a cliffhanger, but they decided to just truncated that portion (and that material got covered in the OVA's). So right to the next dramatic arc.

On a side note they did good work making Yato kind of endearing despite his flaws. He's extremely clingy in a way that would probably be really crappy in real life. But Hiyori is his first real friend/worshipper. Yato is simultaneously overjoyed at the prospect, but is so used to being alone he doesn't know how to handle having actual friends, as well as appropriate behavior.

So as well as being used as comic relief, it's also incredibly sad.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
secondkas wrote:
But then, why didn't Yato do it before, when he and Hiyori were practically strangers?

When they met I think he couldn't fulfill her wish because he didn't have a Shinki to cut the ties (the way he was brandishing Sekki when it seemed he was about to go through with it suggests you need a blade). Also, though he acted like he had higher priority things to do and dealing with her problem kept getting sidelined, I think he actually wanted to have her around for a bit so he'd have someone to talk to since Tomone had just dumped him. Then once he got Yukine, she was a meal ticket. Smile So there kept being reasons not to do it, until it got to the point that he didn't really want to. She was the first human to save him (twice), and that alone made her more special than he would admit even to himself.

But I thought they made it pretty clear (in both the first season and before Suzuha was killed) that once he did whatever to fulfill her wish and get her back to how she was, she wouldn't be able to notice them anymore and would forget them - so I guess the only unclear thing is whether Yato cuts ties with her and she returns to normal, or once she somehow is returned to normal, the ties are then broken because she forgets. The order seems irrelevant to me, since the outcome is the same. The important emotional point is that neither of them want that end result. (btw, I'm anime only too, so that's all I have to go by)
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Also, has Hiyori ever mentioned a brother before?

When she invited Yukine to her place, yeah. Not like he was important, though.
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
When they met I think he couldn't fulfill her wish because he didn't have a Shinki to cut the ties (the way he was brandishing Sekki when it seemed he was about to go through...

Whoa, wait. Now that you mentioned those, I'm starting to remember, like how they said that Hiyori was getting too close to the Far Shore so... But all in all they were just implied, right? Sure, Yato and the gods probably knew it already and one could always put two and two together, but Noragami is bringing in a supernatural world; I won't assume so quickly until it was stated explicitly, at least to Hiyori. In the manga, in Tenjin's shrine, they did explain it to her (though I don't think the effect was a guarantee). I prefer how the events unfolded there because even when she knew her options, she made a conscious (albeit passing) decision to be with Yato, and not as his waiting customer. In the anime, the basics are still there, as you said. Essentially, if you found no loss in that scene, then good for you. I'm just saying that my impressions from the two media are different and that one little thing contributed to it.

On another topic, Yato's little shrine would obviously be regarded as inconsequential--even funny--to the common eye so the fact that he, a guy who has wild ambitions, cherished it so much was very heartwarming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12