• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Asterisk War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yeah, if that doesn't come back to bite her in the ass before this is over... well, actually that's about what I'd expect from this series. :/

SilverTalon01 wrote:
I feel like that was explained more for our benefit. Would be kind of weird if the fight had her constantly bypassing his barrier by doing what doesn't seem to different from what anyone else tried.

Possible alternate way: internal monologue, like "So I was right, doing this and that will have an effect." Instead, we get an eye-rolling moment of "plzz explan how u manage 2 hit me," "OK." Other possibility, comments made by others, like the doll creators, or from the other characters. Or maybe have a small flashback to both Kirin and Saya having a pre-fight discussion. That information could've been conveyed in a number of ways that doesn't involve the ridiculous "pause the fighting to explain how awesome I am" trope.
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
^ I agree. There are many ways to convey this information in a more graceful fashion than just asking for her techniques during the battle, when it's just begun. I guess this is the worst cliché in this type of battle anime, and the one that irritates me the most.

I think this show did it better before, during the first season during a battle between Kirin and Saya vs another school, where there were almost no words during the fight scene. Even the 2nd season premiere fight between Ayato and Julis vs the bald guys from Jie Long didn't suffer this problem as the last one did, because the ones who commented (not even a long ass explanation like Ep 16's) on it were the guys from Jie Long just after everything happened. No words from Ayato nor Julis.

Hopefully next episode will be more intelligent with its info dumping. The girls are too cool to be ruined by unnecessary explanations and dialogues between battles.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Its looks like the robots could be done. but i do remember that she said the girl was the limiter for the male robot.
so we must hope that he gets destroyed first. or it will be ugly.

Now that he has 1 hr of power do we think that this will change the capability of the team to win. or will they use the insufferable cat girl to get Julis off of her game. aka loose or she dies.

i hate a predictable plot dont you still i will watch and hope for a suprise
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Rockweaver wrote:
Now that he has 1 hr of power do we think that this will change the capability of the team to win.

Well that was the only thing that has ever slowed them down. Even with Irene, Ayato had to rush due to the time limit. With an hour, they could have opted to wear her down as high power consumption was mentioned as a weakness of Gravisheath, and even with her sister's blood there is a limit. Granted Ayato would probably still have gone with the all out offense strategy to break Gravisheath.

It was holding Julis back too. That one match she had to use a lot of her power on the giant fire wall for the trick to make up for Ayato's weakness, and this last one she ended up with a 1v2 while Ayato was powering back up.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I won't spoil it to Key, but after the tournament ( which wraps up in volume 5 of the novel), there will be a nice aftermath mini arc (volume 6) that both serves as a resolution to the previous foreshadowing and build-up/expansion for the future developments, and a clear indicator of how good our protagonists REALLY are against the world's very best.

A pretty good way to wrap up the second season, I guess; albeit possibly leaning towards "go read the novels" side
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17 Review wrote:
(It could also be a case where the equipment was split between two robots because the entrants had to be a team, but the other case makes better dramatic sense.)

If it was that, wouldn't they just make 2 of them? Even if they didn't have the time / parts to make two full power ones, I find it unlikely they wouldn't have an older generation of equipment they could put on a second one. They also didn't have to have 2 robots. 2 contenders sure, but there isn't any reason they couldn't have had a person fight as the partner.

Engineering Nerd wrote:
I won't spoil it to Key, but after the tournament ( which wraps up in volume 5 of the novel), there will be a nice aftermath mini arc (volume 6) that both serves as a resolution to the previous foreshadowing and build-up/expansion for the future developments, and a clear indicator of how good our protagonists REALLY are against the world's very best.

The first season did 3 books so I think you're right that the second will conclude with LN 6.

And I'm not sure about that last part. spoiler[It seems to me that the Divine Revelations girl is likely stronger.]
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

The first season did 3 books so I think you're right that the second will conclude with LN 6.

And I'm not sure about that last part. spoiler[It seems to me that the Divine Revelations girl is likely stronger.]

Yeah...spoiler[I am aware that they got overwhelmed pretty hard Smile] in order to make the sentence sounds as neutral as possible, I deliberately word it that way. spoiler[Although for LN readers, they know that the protagonists still got a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng way to go, even after releasing the third seal, when fighting against the top dogs. ]
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18 Review wrote:
I guess these guys got as far as they did because of the knight's difficult-to-penetrate armor and experience, but even so, I have to think that they benefited from a weak quarter of the draw. Any of the robots, the twins, Kirin and Saya, or maybe even Irene could have also taken these guys down easily.

I agree they definitely aren't in the top 4 strongest teams participating so they certainly did have some luck getting that far, but I think they really just lost that easily because Ayato and Julis weren't being held back by a handicap. Ser Veresta might have been handy to deal with the armor, but Julis had that covered so not using it didn't really matter. If they had fought the twins again, they would have won in an equally one sided manner.
natchu96

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
If we are to bring social status into the equation for the girls, then in actuality Julis already lost to Claudia a long time ago. She's in a whole different league.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
If they wanted to make the upcoming fight noteworthy they would write it such that Ayato and Julis win in about 30 seconds by figuring out something clever. I don't have much hope of that. They absolutely must must must have A+J beat down to within an inch of their lives and then find some amazing way to win in the last 3 seconds. It's anime.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
They absolutely must must must have A+J beat down to within an inch of their lives and then find some amazing way to win in the last 3 seconds. It's anime.

That is based on a LN series. I like the show's battle scenes and musical scores, but the character interactions and the overall plot are walking down the well-trodden path that many LNs -- and their adaptations -- have walked before. It's a nice, flashy show, but nothing more, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
ep 20,

time to poke plot holes

so, in a previous fight RM-C (female robot) was able to shoot down every bullet another contestant was shooting at her, however now she can't hit ayato with a single shot in this fight. even if he can predict her bullets, keeping both himself and his partner out of the way is kinda...yea. and even when Julis was alone at one point RM-C couldn't hit her.

and with the big robot was hit by the fire attack, he survived because he had thick armor, however his badge was on the outside of the armor and is not fireproof but suffered no damage.

Ayato decides to wait until AFTER the robots had already combined before charging in to try and stop them. If he was going to ignore the curtin of fire then he probably should have started a bit earlier. and when the robots were transforming, even if they had covering fire, couldn't have julis fired at them from long range? I doubt their umbrella of fire could have stopped all of Julis's shots.

When kirin is going to rescue flora, flora is obviously saying "stay away, its a trap" but Kirin completely ignores that and starts to untie her. and somehow the trap still misses her even though she was on her knees and unaware of it until it actually went off.

shadow ninja guy was at a complete advantage until he decided to fight kirin head on, he said he didn't care about his life and since he was a kidnapper he's probably not the honorable sort. he had already trapped saya and wounded kirin and could have easily taken her out by sticking to the shadows and attacking from range. Hell he could have won even after she wounded him if he just had disabled saya from the start.

oh well, now to see how things wrap up next episode
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
If he was going to ignore the curtin of fire then he probably should have started a bit earlier. and when the robots were transforming,

Just for the record, have you ever seen an anime fight where the opponent attacks during the transformation or power-up? Even if it takes like 5 minutes of screen time, the opponent just stands there while all the RAAARRRR slam bang zot crash is going on. If there is such a thing as a law that anime always follows that would be it: transforms and power-ups are never interrupted.
natchu96

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
#844391 wrote:
If he was going to ignore the curtin of fire then he probably should have started a bit earlier. and when the robots were transforming,

Just for the record, have you ever seen an anime fight where the opponent attacks during the transformation or power-up? Even if it takes like 5 minutes of screen time, the opponent just stands there while all the RAAARRRR slam bang zot crash is going on. If there is such a thing as a law that anime always follows that would be it: transforms and power-ups are never interrupted.

Our War Game.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Ep 20 review wrote:
For all of that, though, I can't justify giving this episode a high grade because the main fight lacked punch.

The problem I think has more to do with that over-talkative robot than anything to do with Ayato/Julis. Not that he isn't amusing but there is too much yak yak and not enough fighting.

Note also in this fight by the end of this episode Ayato and Julis were not all that desperate. The formula normally calls for them to be bruised, dirty, out of breath and on their last legs. Here it seems although they didn't make much progress they also haven't taken much damage. Well now that Ayato now has his power-up we'll have to wait and see if that continues.

Also, why is it acceptable in the rules that you can hide your badge behind super armor? Why wouldn't all the contestants enter the arena with it sealed in an unbreakable case?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10