Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Asterisk War


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
natchu96



Joined: 03 Jan 2014
Posts: 184
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:34 am Reply with quote
To not disqualify people like the knight from the last round whose ability is just to summon armor, I guess.


Also, pretty sure they'd die in one hit if they got hit at all at this stage, much less bruised. AR-D tried to combine very quickly this time around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15750
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
#844391 wrote:
If he was going to ignore the curtin of fire then he probably should have started a bit earlier. and when the robots were transforming,

Just for the record, have you ever seen an anime fight where the opponent attacks during the transformation or power-up? Even if it takes like 5 minutes of screen time, the opponent just stands there while all the RAAARRRR slam bang zot crash is going on. If there is such a thing as a law that anime always follows that would be it: transforms and power-ups are never interrupted.

True. To get around that, I've always maintained the theory that most transformation sequences are actually nearly instantaneous. They've just been slowed down for dramatic visual effect for viewers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
#844391



Joined: 09 Sep 2015
Posts: 509
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:
#844391 wrote:
If he was going to ignore the curtin of fire then he probably should have started a bit earlier. and when the robots were transforming,

Just for the record, have you ever seen an anime fight where the opponent attacks during the transformation or power-up? Even if it takes like 5 minutes of screen time, the opponent just stands there while all the RAAARRRR slam bang zot crash is going on. If there is such a thing as a law that anime always follows that would be it: transforms and power-ups are never interrupted.

True. To get around that, I've always maintained the theory that most transformation sequences are actually nearly instantaneous. They've just been slowed down for dramatic visual effect for viewers.


In the case of magical transformations I could agree but this is a mechanical transformation involving armor and equipment disassembling, moving and reassembling. It's definitely not going to be instantaneous. In fact, Julis straight out said that their transformation takes forever and they wouldn't let them pull it off which is why RM-C used her covering fire ability.

The issue I have is that then they spend about 20 seconds doing the transformation scene and THEN ayato decides to charge into the covering fire to stop them, after they had already completed it.

It would have made more sense if they had started transforming, he had charge in to stop them and then RM-C used her ability to drive him back when he wasn't expecting it. But making sense is not really a priority here heh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverTalon01



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 2002
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Also, why is it acceptable in the rules that you can hide your badge behind super armor? Why wouldn't all the contestants enter the arena with it sealed in an unbreakable case?


I think the issue is how you do it. I'm sure you couldn't walk into the ring with it behind armor. As in AR-D couldn't have his badge inside his armor. However, using your power to make armor after the fight begins to protect your badge isn't really that different from using your mana to make a barrier to protect the badge. You are in both cases using mana to create a defense.

#844391 wrote:
so, in a previous fight RM-C (female robot) was able to shoot down every bullet another contestant was shooting at her, however now she can't hit ayato with a single shot in this fight. even if he can predict her bullets, keeping both himself and his partner out of the way is kinda...yea. and even when Julis was alone at one point RM-C couldn't hit her.


The bullets have a clearly defined path once fired. That isn't the same as being able to predict where Ayato and Julis will be.

#844391 wrote:
and with the big robot was hit by the fire attack, he survived because he had thick armor, however his badge was on the outside of the armor and is not fireproof but suffered no damage.


I don't think those badges are that fragile. I'm pretty sure quite a few people have been hit by an explosion or similar and not had their badges break. They've always seemed sturdy enough to require a reasonably powerful direct attack. That said, Julis should have just aimed for his badge in the first place if she wasn't going to use one of her big attacks.

#844391 wrote:
Ayato decides to wait until AFTER the robots had already combined before charging in to try and stop them. If he was going to ignore the curtin of fire then he probably should have started a bit earlier. and when the robots were transforming, even if they had covering fire, couldn't have julis fired at them from long range? I doubt their umbrella of fire could have stopped all of Julis's shots.


I think you have to write that off with the uninterruptable transformation sequence (even though Julis specifically mentioned targeting them when they do it. Even if Ayato wasn't going to go in, there isn't any reason Julis couldn't have used that time to hit them with a really big attack. Anyway, I agree that whole thing was very poorly handled.

#844391 wrote:
When kirin is going to rescue flora, flora is obviously saying "stay away, its a trap" but Kirin completely ignores that and starts to untie her. and somehow the trap still misses her even though she was on her knees and unaware of it until it actually went off.

shadow ninja guy was at a complete advantage until he decided to fight kirin head on, he said he didn't care about his life and since he was a kidnapper he's probably not the honorable sort. he had already trapped saya and wounded kirin and could have easily taken her out by sticking to the shadows and attacking from range. Hell he could have won even after she wounded him if he just had disabled saya from the start.


The only thing that was really understandable was Flora saying 'Don't come.' I'm not sure if Kirin was actually even suppose to be able to understand that though. She already knew the guy behind this liked traps though so her being ready to dodge that one isn't unbelievable to me.

As for the head on fight, I agree that clearly wasn't advantageous to him in terms of just fighting Kirin and Saya. However, you have to remember it isn't just the two of them who are there. Those traps aren't going to keep the other two busy forever. He doesn't even know who the others are based on him not recognizing it was Kirin and Saya until they entered the room with Flora, and in fact for all he knows more people could be coming. Even though Kirin and Saya aren't in top form and he could probably wear them down eventually, they showed their ability to defend pretty well against his shadows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlackPoint.



Joined: 23 Oct 2015
Posts: 643
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
This final match at ep21 just proved once more for me how much better Rakudai was, makes me sad every time when i think about it that rakudai got only 12ep while asterisk 24ep. I just hope that someday we get a 2nd season for rakudai because its simply better at every single thing compared to asterisk....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FenixFiesta



Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2565
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
This final match at ep21 just proved once more for me how much better Rakudai was, makes me sad every time when i think about it that rakudai got only 12ep while asterisk 24ep. I just hope that someday we get a 2nd season for rakudai because its simply better at every single thing compared to asterisk....

Both series were underwhelming especially in the early episodes (you know, the ones where you are trying to hook the audience)
All these LN adaptations will eventually jumble together and be forgotten as they have the sin of featuring a hopelessly bland male lead with arbitrary super powered status.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ittaku
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 28 May 2016
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
This final match at ep21 just proved once more for me how much better Rakudai was, makes me sad every time when i think about it that rakudai got only 12ep while asterisk 24ep. I just hope that someday we get a 2nd season for rakudai because its simply better at every single thing compared to asterisk....

I couldn't agree more. Even more so since the stories are so incredibly similar - one anime shows us how to do it while another shows us how not to do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
jomkingal



Joined: 08 May 2011
Posts: 1
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I hope there will be no NTR scene with Haruka-sama.... I want this to be a nice clean harem~ I really hate that chairman...]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
FenixFiesta



Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2565
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Ittaku wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Even more so since the stories are so incredibly similar - one anime shows us how to do it while another shows us how not to do it.

I really don't understand it when people continue to follow series that are according to the viewers own opinion "they aren't worth following" save them being some sort of regular show reviewer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15750
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I really don't understand it when people continue to follow series that are according to the viewers own opinion "they aren't worth following" save them being some sort of regular show reviewer.

There are a lot of completists out there, people who are firm about finishing out a show no matter what once they've gotten to a certain point in it.

I'm sometimes like that myself, but I will definitely give up on a title that frustrates me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
#844391



Joined: 09 Sep 2015
Posts: 509
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
I just wish there was a bit more thought put into the fights. The badges seem to be explosion proof considering the number of times the robot got blown up, enough to crack his armor yet the badge is completely unharmed the whole time. Considering that the winning condition of the fights is to destroy the badges it seems like it would be an opportunity for people to be creative with their abilities and focus on ways to destroy the badges instead of beating their opponents down. Is there any point in even having the badges if all the fights just end up being fought pretty much as normal? I'd say the most intelligent fighters were the really annoying twins combining invisibility and illusions. they could have probably won if they had focused on just destroying the badges instead of playing with their opponents.

And was there any point in him upgrading his sword, at the end he was aiming at the badge and hit it because of his speed and technique. having a fiery sword as opposed to his normal OP sword doesn't seem to have made much difference. Or does the fire give him a +100 to his speed stat or something?

anyway, I don't really expect anything much at this point and am in the crowd that is just here to finish the series for some closure, although it seems more like its going to be a "read the novel" ending.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlackPoint.



Joined: 23 Oct 2015
Posts: 643
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
BlackPoint. wrote:
This final match at ep21 just proved once more for me how much better Rakudai was, makes me sad every time when i think about it that rakudai got only 12ep while asterisk 24ep. I just hope that someday we get a 2nd season for rakudai because its simply better at every single thing compared to asterisk....

Both series were underwhelming especially in the early episodes (you know, the ones where you are trying to hook the audience)
All these LN adaptations will eventually jumble together and be forgotten as they have the sin of featuring a hopelessly bland male lead with arbitrary super powered status.


For me personnaly i wont forget Rakudai so soon bcz the main characters had simply such impact on me and the way they made the animation just remember the ones on the end for example it was mostly black and white i just loved how they showed with that the emontial state of Ikki and some battle scenes spoiler[Toka vs Shizuku] simply left me like WOW, so yeh idk for the rest but ill surely remember rakudai for years to come while asterisk ill barely remember any of the battles after the anime ends....I also had pretty high expectations with asterisk 2nd season due all the battles, well some were oky but this last final was just kinda dissapointing kinda makes no sense when the other battles were more interesting then the finale one...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverTalon01



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 2002
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So that's a lot of revelations to give the series future direction, but assuming that this season is also 12 episodes, is there enough time to actually do anything substantial with any of them? All of them seem like bait for long-term storylines rather than a three episode arc, which gives the feel of the series just tossing out hooks willy-nilly in the hopes that something sticks. There's no sense that they coherently go together to form a bigger picture, unless the whole point is that all of these parallel schemes are running amok in Asterisk City.


I was already pretty sure since the opening animation hints at a character from the 6th LN, but the next episode title confirms they're just adapting the 6th LN. Ending the series now would probably be better, but the next novel is kind of a bridge between the first story arc and the next so that isn't a horrible way to end it. Give some closure, but build some hype for another season.

I'm not sure what you're really looking for though. Shouldn't you want the series to be laying the ground work for a larger plot? Or were you just wanting it to stay with just school tournaments? I'm not really sure where a lot of the stuff is going yet, but I'm pretty sure everything will connect to the same big picture. You wouldn't want it to be immediately obvious where a series is going would you? That seems boring. I would much prefer all the seemingly unconnected bits and pieces that get dropped across a large number of LNs ending up connected somehow after all.

#844391 wrote:
And was there any point in him upgrading his sword, at the end he was aiming at the badge and hit it because of his speed and technique. having a fiery sword as opposed to his normal OP sword doesn't seem to have made much difference. Or does the fire give him a +100 to his speed stat or something?


The 'fire' part was irrelevant. He was faster because the usually massive sword became smaller thanks to Julis. The point was to show it was Julis's power that was giving shape to it. It was already a 'fire' sword that burns everything it touches or whatever the line was.

FenixFiesta wrote:
Both series were underwhelming especially in the early episodes (you know, the ones where you are trying to hook the audience)
All these LN adaptations will eventually jumble together and be forgotten as they have the sin of featuring a hopelessly bland male lead with arbitrary super powered status.


Well I see your point about early episodes of LN adaptations. It almost seems like the publisher has a list of set ups and the author just grabs one. I disagree that they will all jumble together and be forgotten though. It is entirely possible for them to take a basic set up and do something interesting and memorable with it. I think Rakudai managed that for a lot of people, but others like Highschool DxD, Index, SAO I think will be remembered as well as the popular anime original titles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8169
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I'm not sure what you're really looking for though. Shouldn't you want the series to be laying the ground work for a larger plot?

Not if there's not enough time for those threads to be woven into that larger plot. If they know they've got another 25 or 50 episodes to work with, great, but if you've got half a dozen storylines going that never get resolved, that kinda sucks. You're better off sticking with the tournament.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LightningShadow55



Joined: 06 Mar 2016
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Well they finally fixed one of my 2 main problems with this show the main characters over sized sword now all they need to change is the main characters hair color brown or black would be nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group