• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Heads to Steam

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
Given what Spike Chunsoft owns, this could be a big deal. Zero Escape (aka Better Danganronpa) is the obvious next step, but they also own other story-based titles like Twilight Syndrome, Portopia and 428. Those three have only received official Japan releases, but if they put in the work to translate them we could potentially get them. And Portopia already has an unofficial translation they could adopt.

They also own Michigan, a Grasshopper-developed PS2 game that only got an English release in PAL format, so putting that on Steam could open it up to more people.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Given what Spike Chunsoft owns, this could be a big deal. Zero Escape (aka Better Danganronpa) is the obvious next step, but they also own other story-based titles like Twilight Syndrome, Portopia and 428. Those three have only received official Japan releases, but if they put in the work to translate them we could potentially get them. And Portopia already has an unofficial translation they could adopt.

They also own Michigan, a Grasshopper-developed PS2 game that only got an English release in PAL format, so putting that on Steam could open it up to more people.

Definitely interesting possibilities. I wonder about zero escape making it to PC because I've yet to play since everyone says you should play 999 first. Not that it's expensive i can just never bring myself to order it from amazon lol.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:10 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

Definitely interesting possibilities. I wonder about zero escape making it to PC because I've yet to play since everyone says you should play 999 first. Not that it's expensive i can just never bring myself to order it from amazon lol.
Having played through 999 three times over the course of two weeks, I can assure you it is worth whatever it is you'd have to pay for it, cheap or otherwise.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:26 am Reply with quote
Great news Very Happy . Something I would most likely pick up again since I already have it on vita but wouldn't mind it on PC too.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
Throw in "Persona 4: Golden," and I officially have no reason to get a Vita.
lanierd2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
this may be the greatest time ever to be a PC gamer. If Atlus is paying attention, they would be smart too and bring Persona over as well.

Danganronpa is a story telling masterpiece and i personally will be buying both of them. PREORDERING them both. That is for sure.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Will never happen but you get points for your boldness.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
I can see them bringing over the Zero Escape series,though the dual screen of the Nintendo DS actually played an important role in the narrative and in a huge plot twist of 999,so it would lose a bit of the impact like the IOS port did.
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Either you don't know japanese to get the many (MANY) other great games in there, or maybe you just dislike visual novels (since most of them are this)... Which would be kinda hypocritical, knowing that Persona is basically a VN with more gameplay than reading (still got itself 35-40 hours of pure text).
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Either you don't know japanese to get the many (MANY) other great games in there, or maybe you just dislike visual novels (since most of them are this)... Which would be kinda hypocritical, knowing that Persona is basically a VN with more gameplay than reading (still got itself 35-40 hours of pure text).
I'm kind of in the same boat as King, I only have the Danganronpa games, Persona 4 Golden, and Freedom Wars for my PSTV. Everything else I was looking at is getting ported except for Dancing All Night which is on my list. But Freedom Wars is definitely a must have for Vita. It may get a bit repetitive, but it's so fun and the premise alone is enough to give it quite a bit of time.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Vita doesn't sell much in the West, so if they want to sell to the West, it makes business sense to also port to Steam, which has a much bigger buying pool (virtually everybody has access to a computer).
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I have about 25+ Vita games. I would have more but I don't buy censored games , or digital only games which is why I don't care for Steam/ modern PC gaming.

-Stuart Smith
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
But Freedom Wars is definitely a must have for Vita. It may get a bit repetitive, but it's so fun and the premise alone is enough to give it quite a bit of time.

It's an okay game if you don't mind a shallow story, flat characters, and some wonky difficulty here and there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1