• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Haikyu!! Second Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
konxeptionz wrote:
I haven't started the second season yet, but I've been reading the manga. Does the beginning of this season closely follow how that manga is going?

It just happens that I have reread the this part of the manga. The most noticable change is that in the manga the encounter with Ushikawa (Shiratorizawa's captain) takes place when Kageyama and Hinata leave Yachi's home after some tutoring. In the anime they move that encounter to episode one in order I presume to clearly define from the start the final boss for season 2.

I also noticed that in order to reinforce the scene where Yachi fears to be the target of Shimizu's fans for speaking with hear, in the anime they make her cross the path of Karasunp's yankee coach.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
timber wrote:

It just happens that I have reread the this part of the manga. The most noticable change is that in the manga the encounter with Ushikawa (Shiratorizawa's captain) takes place when Kageyama and Hinata leave Yachi's home after some tutoring. In the anime they move that encounter to episode one in order I presume to clearly define from the start the final boss for season 2.

I really doubt they're gonna make Ushiwaka the final boss of the season, there's too much manga material left to cover. The opening suggests that most of the 1st cour will focus entirely on the Tokyo training. I think S2 will end either (manga spoilers) spoiler[after Seijou vs Datekou or after Seijou vs Karasuno] depending on the pace
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I wish they found a place to show the "face off" lineup panels from the manga, team A vs. team B, since usually there are at least a couple players on each team doing goofy things Smile they're quick and fun; if IG didn't already start a habit with the serve-practice commercial eyecatches, that would be a good place for them. Otherwise, just a couple seconds before a match starts would work, especially for these practice sessions.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That the two boys can set each other off not only makes for great doujinshi fodder – it also threatens the very core of the newly powerful team, to say nothing of Hinata's sense of security.

I must be the only Haikyuu fan on the planet that doesn't support this ship mostly because rival OTPs just aren't my thing. So long as those doujin fans buy the actual product, the pandering will be tolerated.

More importantly, major props to the key animators on the spoiler["fight"] scene. Again with those little touches like the spoiler[snarls on their faces or tugs of shirts as Kageyama twirls Hinata toward the ground.] All the tension from earlier with Hinata trying to convince everyone that he has the potential being released little by little. As someone who prefers to work alone and focus on my own development, I felt bad for Hinata who desperately wants to grow for the sport he loves.

Glad Yachi, even as a minor character, can relate to Hinata on that base level since the other teammates are older, experienced players and just want balance. Daichi and the others totally shrugged off responsibility for actually talking to Hinata though. Maybe it won't bite them in the butt later...maybe.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Glad Yachi, even as a minor character, can relate to Hinata on that base level since the other teammates are older, experienced players and just want balance. Daichi and the others totally shrugged off responsibility for actually talking to Hinata though. Maybe it won't bite them in the butt later...maybe.

This is one minor problem with the anime reordering the events from the manga. It's really obvious in the manga that the rest of the teammates are themselves looking for ways to improve after Hinata's outburst when spoiler[the teacher calls them the weakest team then says they have room for improvement and can steal from the other teams there. At that point, those other teams are first introduced and you see the key Karasuno players reflected in those teams' specialties, foreshadowing the moves they'll steal.] The way the anime presented it, it does kind of look like the other players are keeping their heads low and trying not to rock the boat.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I find it really interesting how Haikyu!! does its "level up" arcs if you compare it to things like Kuroko or Eyeshield 21. Both of those shows are heavy on the friendship, and while Haikyu!! does have some team camaraderie, it feels less intense than in those other shows. Kind of like the team found their footing, but doesn't know how to use it to the team's full potential. Yet.

But more than that, this is one of the few rivalries I can think of that feel legitimately like rivals. Not just tsundere-esque match ups where the pair are honestly just frenemies. I also think Hinata's ambitions are portrayed a little more uniquely. Not really sure how to put it, exactly, but when I'm trying to improve myself artistically, there's always this little bit of spite and jealously driving my ambition. Most sports anime just go for the "I wanna' be stronger" shtick, but Haikyu!! seems to have this slightly darker edge to that idea that just feels more realistic to me.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:

It's really obvious in the manga that the rest of the teammates are themselves looking for ways to improve after Hinata's outburst when spoiler[the teacher calls them the weakest team then says they have room for improvement and can steal from the other teams there. At that point, those other teams are first introduced and you see the key Karasuno players reflected in those teams' specialties, foreshadowing the moves they'll steal.] The way the anime presented it, it does kind of look like the other players are keeping their heads low and trying not to rock the boat.

Never read the manga (since it wasn't licensed until recently) but, I appreciate knowing this now. For the anime, it does paint the seniors in a negative light particularity Asahi's thoughts about Hinata "eating his spotlight" or how both the coach and Suga sided against him when Kageyama was against perfecting their special move. Helped the atmosphere remain uncomfortable all the way through.

In a way, I respect the writers and directors for trying something new for the anime only viewers. I was curious when spoiler[the teacher stated that as a learning experience, the team should note how the stronger teams played] but, this was clearly meant as a Hinata focused episode. Good chance that the show will mentionspoiler[ which specific characters took what from their opponents moves] later on. Hopefully, they will be more unified by then even though its not guaranteed.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

I must be the only Haikyuu fan on the planet that doesn't support this ship mostly because rival OTPs just aren't my thing. So long as those doujin fans buy the actual product, the pandering will be tolerated.

You're not - I actually tend not to ship at all, but since a lot of people do, I didn't want to discount that angle.

I'm also very interested to hear how the manga differs - I was on the verge of ordering it in French when it got licensed in English, so I haven't read it either, but I am very much looking forward to it, especially as I hear more about it in this thread.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
H2 Episode 6

I absolutely loved this episode! While I do agree that a couple of short scenes of them post-fight would have been interesting, I can't quite visualize how to shoehorn that in within the time constraints, and I think they transitioned quite well without it.

Last week left me feeling a little - how to put this - not quite liking some of the characters so unreservedly? I understood where they were all coming from and I didn't hate anybody or anything, and I didn't think any of it rang false, but it was unsettling to see them take sides so quickly, or show jealousy (esp. for characters who had been unfailingly patient up to then). I'm not explaining the why so well, but "unsettling" is the keyword here. Smile

But this episode felt like everyone was back on track and doing what they do best. I loved the time spent with Grandpa Ukai, and his "chibisuke" and "chibitaro" names, and watching Ukai the younger learn from him. Yui's moment with Sawamura was great (if there's ever going to be any romance in this series, it should be here*), the Kageyama and Oikawa meeting was hilarious when it wasn't being serious, and pretty much everything else was hitting on all cylinders for me.

*if anyone should feel the urge to tell me what to or what not to expect, please spoiler tag it so I don't have to read it. I'm just fine with waiting to see what the anime does or doesn't do. Smile Thanks.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
As a teacher, I wholly applaud his move; as viewer, I'd have liked to see how they were able to cope after their fight last episode.

I'm holding off on the "everything's fixed now" idea til the next episode. Judging by the preview, it seems like they've got a lot of kinks to work out after everyone went off and did their own thing for a while, so hopefully we'll see some nice catharsis/re-unification stuff there.

Overall, I liked the episode, though I didn't quite love it. It was nice to see the other team members react to Hinata's outburst from the practice match about wanting to improve and taking it to heart. Though Tsukki seems off/more aloof than usual, so I hope we'll see him grow next week!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

I'm not quite sure I get why Hinata and Kageyama still aren't talking to each other. It would be one thing if they were both still off in "I'm right, he's wrong" land, but both of them have had their eyes opened, and Kageyama especially knows he was wrong and has been working on a new approach. So why haven't they discussed that instead of waiting until they were on the court in the middle of a game to suddenly whip out new techniques the other wasn't prepared for? If Kageyama can humbly bow to Oikawa, surely he can mumble an apology to Hinata and start strategizing again.

Can't wait to see little Tsukki next week!
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I haven't commented much, but so far this season has been knocking it out of the park pretty much from the start Anime smile
Season 1's second half lost me a bit (those games just went on an episode too long apiece for my taste) so I'm really glad S2 has been paring it back to character pieces and training - Hinata and Kageyama's fight in episode 5 was distressingly good.

I'm excited to see where Tsuki's story is going - clearly he's got some heavy baggage when it comes to the old "hard work vs talent" dynamic, which is rife for good conflict in sports series (my favorite sports manga, Cross Manage, built its entire final game around it to fantastic results) and his kind of character isn't one that gets explored too often in these kinda shows. It's nice to have at least one or two characters on the team who aren't super driven wells of determination and teamwork, just for flavor Laughing
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tsukki fans, your episode has come.

*nods head knowingly*

We stuck it out and now we are getting repaid with some high quality screen time with him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
my favorite sports manga, Cross Manage

I'm not seeing that in the Encyclopedia. Is it really obscure or did you mean Cross Game? If not, what sport is it about?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
lossthief wrote:
my favorite sports manga, Cross Manage

I'm not seeing that in the Encyclopedia. Is it really obscure or did you mean Cross Game? If not, what sport is it about?

Doesn't look to have an ANNcyclopedia page. Here's the MAL listing. It's about girl's lacross, and ran for a little less than a year in Shounen Jump between 2012 and 2013. Viz simulpublished it while they were just started their same-day release of select jump titles, and have all 5 volumes available digitally.

I really recommend it for anybody who's big into sports series, especially Haikyuu
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6