• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chivalry of a Failed Knight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
The encyclopedia says Dad's voiced by Sho Hayami, assuming Dad's name is "Itsuki."

Good to know about Mysterious Portly Villain!

Also, I assume that this was the not-quite-sex scene that people have been talking about in this thread? Smile
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
The encyclopedia says Dad's voiced by Sho Hayami, assuming Dad's name is "Itsuki."

Good to know about Mysterious Portly Villain!

Also, I assume that this was the not-quite-sex scene that people have been talking about in this thread? :)

Itsuki is Ikki's dad, yes. Sho Hayami, huh? I knew I'd heard his voice before, but he was a different dad than Rikiya.

And yes, this was the scene from Volume 3 that people were excited about ;).
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Also, I assume that this was the not-quite-sex scene that people have been talking about in this thread? Smile

I can only speak for myself and say the end of volume 1 which was adapted on episode 4 and episode 5 is what I was waiting for personally. Now, I'm just waiting for the end to come as well. Razz
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:20 am Reply with quote
The Mysterious Portly Malevolent Boss Man's appearance has resulted in important foreshadowing for Vol 4 of the source LN being removed from the plot this episode.

spoiler[In the novel, the rock golems were NOT sent by Portly to harm Ikki.
They were sent by another person to test the strength of Touka’s Blazer powers. This other person’s appearance foreshadows the plot of Vol 4, which introduces the recurring villain group for the next arc covering the 7-Star Sword Games. The person is a member of said group.
The Okutama trip was also made at the behest of the Student Council who wanted help investigating some strange disturbances happening there, which were caused by the golems.
]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
The Mysterious Portly Malevolent Boss Man's appearance has resulted in important foreshadowing for Vol 4 of the source LN being removed from the plot this episode.

They were sent by another person to test the strength of Touka’s Blazer powers. This other person’s appearance foreshadows the plot of Vol 4, which introduces the recurring villain group for the next arc covering the 7-Star Sword Games. The person is a member of said group.
The Okutama trip was also made at the behest of the Student Council who wanted help investigating some strange disturbances happening there, which were caused by the golems.
]

spoiler[Ohhhhhhh... That was Hiraga, wasn't it.

I just got that. Wasn't Ouma in the room also? And I think Wallenstein?]
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
zztop wrote:

]

spoiler[Ohhhhhhh... That was Hiraga, wasn't it.

I just got that. Wasn't Ouma in the room also? And I think Wallenstein?]

spoiler[Reread it. It was Ouma and Hiraga Reisen, the clown man.]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
spoiler[Reread it. It was Ouma and Hiraga Reisen, the clown man.]

Given those changes, it's probably safe to say that a season 2 has been thoroughly disconfirmed ;__;
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Last week we learned that she would have to compete against student council president Toda Toka

I believe her name is Toudou Touka.

As for Shizuku, she decided to love him both because he's a good person who didn't forgive her negative behavior and because no one else loved him, so she decided to love him enough to make up for everyone else's hatred.

And for the ending...

Well, it should be somewhat conclusive from one point of view, at least. A second season would really be nice, though... RIP Alice focus.
chito895

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the episode went from "let's give Shizuku some background" which actually didn't explain anything, to a really nice fight with tons and tons and TONS of freaking exposition about the techniques (I hate that), then to MORE exposition from the annoying loli, which led to some bad fan-service (Stella can be, and has been, more than just the boobs of the show), then to the inevitable victory of Toka.

BUT THEN ALICE, OH GLORIOUS ALICE, SAVED THE EP. I love her/him (bah, I don't care, the character is too damn good for this show). Easily, that little hug was way better than the 5 minutes of Shizuku's background story. Oh Alice, I want someone like you in my life.

I'll give this episode a 2.5.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Yup, put an "a" instead of an "o" at the end of her family name - sorry about that. The single "o" rather than an "ou" is how the subs spelled it, though I prefer the way it looks the other way. *shrug*
Rensie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With only a few episodes left, I'm beginning to worry about story resolution, and it seems almost certain that we will be left without any solid conclusions and a cheery, “Read the books, kids!” sort of ending.

Seems the case, only Oreimo and Shana were fully adapted, for what i remember.

Btw, hope they make a sequel for Koukou Rettousei since the novel sell like bread, i like strong and unbeatable male leads. Smile
Kidpolly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
very good
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying both this and Asterisk War.
I will rate this significantly higher.

Chivalry feels like a story, Asterisk feels like an anime.

Does that make sense?

I am way more invested in what happens here than in Asterisk, but am entertained by both.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I hated what the did in this episode. It stopped being a story and switched to cheap tricks and cheaper villainy. This so called atmosphere and mood was lazy and served one purpose: Simplification.

They no longer have to bother with the overly long tournament, they no longer have to actually deal with genuine emotion and the organic development of the story. They certainly don't have to bother with fight animation. All they had to do was go two dimensional with the conflict (bad man is bad, he is mean to our hero- feel sorry for our hero).

It's really too bad, The director lady was saying something like "let me deal with it" so I was hoping to see some of that... and they may still do some of that, but only after the time-saving cruel and unusual punishment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Desa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
I really dig the "Sin-City-esque" coloring they did for the OP sequence so it was nice to see it used more in the actual show. It oozes a certain style you don't see very often nowadays.

But is it really ending next episode? What happened to his promised rematch with Stella? Unless this is a mid-season break, as a narrative it would feel strange to end with an Ikki v Touka match considering Stella only had like one good match which was the one with Ikki at the beginning of the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8