• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rise of Incarnates PC Game Shuts Down in December

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. producer Ryuichiro Baba previously stated in an interview that Rise of Incarnates was developed in part due to Bandai Namco Entertainment's reluctance to localize the Gundam Extreme Vs. series (which features similar 2-on-2 gameplay) in the West.

This seems like such strange logic on Bandai Namco's part. They should let the developers release the actual good game here.
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
The official excuse Baba gave was "Arena fighters don't tend to sell well in the West", and Incarnates was supposedly Bamco's way of testing the waters for Extreme Vs. Now we're more worried that they'll point to this game's failure as proof, and we'll never get ExVs over here.

Of course, I wonder how many arena fighters actually HAVE been released in the West in the first place. Virtual On, of course, Dissidia Final Fantasy...does anyone know any others?
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
AmuroNT1 wrote:
The official excuse Baba gave was "Arena fighters don't tend to sell well in the West", and Incarnates was supposedly Bamco's way of testing the waters for Extreme Vs. Now we're more worried that they'll point to this game's failure as proof, and we'll never get ExVs over here.

Of course, I wonder how many arena fighters actually HAVE been released in the West in the first place. Virtual On, of course, Dissidia Final Fantasy...does anyone know any others?

By "the west" you mean the United States, right? Anime dazed
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
AmuroNT1 wrote:

The official excuse I read was licensing.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-19/producer-tells-why-bandai-namco-has-not-localized-gundam-vs-games/.78932

Really the whole thing was handled incredibly badly. Releasing a F2P game with no established IP among an enormous number of F2P games in a genre they admit isn't really established was already pretty risky. But then they went and launched it with an absolutely awful P2W pay structure. Supposedly that is fixed, but too late.

Then there is the gameplay. Even if you are fine with EXVS having the gundam part taken out, the gameplay is crap in comparison giving no one already playing EXVS any reason to switch.

They also pulled their other F2P fighter (a soul caliber). Seems like they were just blindly diving into the F2P market trying to make a buck and it backfired.
chao8971

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
While it sucks that the failure of this will probably mean we will never have a U.S. release of Extreme VS, this game really was no good from my time with it. I remember getting into the beta for this thing and it has this F2P stuff going on, but with no way to actually earn characters without straight out buying them. There was even a in-game currency that you earned that you could not spend on anything, this problem consisted well into the actual release of it over here.

Oh and might I mention that the game when first released started on pretty high settings and a weird resolution that could not even be changed in till you beat a tutorial of three rounds, which made it so I was the only person actually able to play it out of my group of firends, even though their computers were past the minimum requirements.

This game was handled incredibly poorly, no matter what genre this is. I barely put up with it, and I can understand why most people did not. This failure I don't believe was the game/genre's fault, but the fault of how everything with this was handled. Seriously Bandai if you want to test the waters, release a good arena fighter without all this bull and more than like 8-ish characters. For now I'll stick with my imported copy of Full Boost.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
chao8971 wrote:
This game was handled incredibly poorly, no matter what genre this is. I barely put up with it, and I can understand why most people did not.

If they don't want to bring EXVS over, fine, but I'm happy the piece of crap they tried to pawn off on us sunk like a rock.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
NB should've localized Gundam EXVS instead and we wouldn't have these issues.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
NB should've localized Gundam EXVS instead and we wouldn't have these issues.

Eh, I don't really see any issues. PS3 is region free. You do need a JP PSN to play online, but unlike the vita you can just swap accounts.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
If you want to send a message, import the English version of Extreme VS Force.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
If you want to send a message, import the English version of Extreme VS Force.

I don't think they really have any easy way to tell how many copies were imported versus sold in the Asian market as intended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1