• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Column - It's Always Tsuneo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sprocket

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
Huh, this guy has made absolutely nothing then, Twelve Kingdoms was garbage.

Big words coming from someone who thinks Giant Robo is "so-so" and "not as good as Big O" (Ending? What ending?)...
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Seriously, though, I'm sad to hear of Tsuneo's passing, and I'm going to join others in absolutely recommending Twelve Kingdoms. It's one of the best anime of its time, taking what could have been a cliche premise and going in a completely different direction with it.

Unfortunately, those people that follow the "3 episode rule" (or who give up on a series even sooner) probably won't persevere.

I remember when I viewed it looking after the first 2-3 episodes thinking something like, "How many of these do I have to slog through?", but then later wishing the series had been 100 episodes or more.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
I read the novels before watching the anime of Twelve Kingdoms, so maybe that's why I felt iffy about the two insert characters until I found out they were created with purpose to bring out something difficult to convey from the novels into the anime. A critique with that knowledge on a second viewing helped me enjoy it even more. I, too, recommend the series.
The last several episodes aren't necessarily cut short out of nowhere. They conclude one of the books, but the book's story continues. Unfortunately, even the novel series isn't finished, and may never be. It's been on hiatus since longer than the anime existed, I believe.

I just watched Naruto -The Last- yesterday, the day when the rental store finally had a DVD copy free (BD will be impossible to catch in stock for a long time to come). It was the first time a Naruto film (of the first many I watched) felt important and actually contributed, no less thanks to its importance in the actual canon story. And despite the meh antagonist, the actual story it conveyed was surprisingly spectacular. I'll certainly keep these fresh feelings in his memory, now that I know he's gone.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
I will now forever read "Boruto" as "Bort" in my head. -And I'm perfectly okay with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2