• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Announces Partnership with Sumitomo to Create Company to Co-Produce Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
This is just a recipe for disaster.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
I have mixed perceptions about this, I am not sure what will happen next...

ZODDGUTS wrote:
As long they avoid adapting light novels considering most of them are garbage. Here's hoping they produce good adapted works and also original ones.

Especially this thing please.
kuso_battlive

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Worldwide except Asia, that is.

Jesus Christ, why are we Asians always become an exception?
bahamutzero89

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
Would be nice if this leads to production of series that cater more to western tastes, pretty much like Gonzo in the old days.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
It's way too soon for me to have much of an opinion on this. It could be good in that it might inject some variety into whatever gets made. Then again, it could flop since anime already appeals to all sorts of people, despite being mainly created for a Japanese audience. I guess we'll have to see after they produce something.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
kuso_battlive wrote:
Worldwide except Asia, that is.

Jesus Christ, why are we Asians always become an exception?

Worldwide except Asia indeed. And that of course means no India. Sad
Very few shows are available in India, especially new shows.

Which is why I just import from Japan.

That aside, I hope this goes well for Crunchy.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
bahamutzero89 wrote:
Would be nice if this leads to production of series that cater more to western tastes, pretty much like Gonzo in the old days.

Pretty sure this is exactly the mistake people made in the 90s. In the mid 00s bubble some people learned better and not everyone make that mistake. And to just dismiss this kind of thing by caling it bubble is being silly. Investing in anime from the top when it is your business's lifeblood makes a lot of sense. Sure, it also means you can screw it up more, as more is at stake, but that doesn't mean companies should stop trying.

I feel they just want their own version of Sidonia, because it's not like people would subscribe to CR just to watch Wooser.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
I don't buy all the pessimism from some of the posters. If Crunchyroll invests in shows that have potential appeal to Western fans, this could work. They will need to be very selective.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I don't buy all the pessimism from some of the posters. If Crunchyroll invests in shows that have potential appeal to Western fans, this could work. They will need to be very selective.

I think the main thing is this could either go very poorly or very well. And it could start in one direct and do a quick u-turn if the wrong/right decisions are made. I'm hopeful we'll see some good things come from this though. It's going to need a fair bit of luck to be pulled off well.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
bahamutzero89 wrote:

Japan has tried doing that in the past. The result was that most of them (Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell being exceptions) ended in failure.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Great news! They can even get some great advice from ADV films and Media Blasters!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
This can be a good thing and a bad thing
Good as shows that didn't do well in Japan, but did in the west, can get sequels. So simply by continuing to watch a show weekly via streaming, more episodes can be made.
The bad part is trying to tailor make it to the west, in other words America. A lot of the most popular Anime out there was not made for a western audience, yet succeeded in them.

Go Nagai once said that his works are popular in the west, despite them being made solely for a Japanese audience.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
This can be a good thing and a bad thing
Good as shows that didn't do well in Japan, but did in the west, can get sequels. So simply by continuing to watch a show weekly via streaming, more episodes can be made.
The bad part is trying to tailor make it to the west, in other words America. A lot of the most popular Anime out there was not made for a western audience, yet succeeded in them.

Go Nagai once said that his works are popular in the west, despite them being made solely for a Japanese audience.

Well, we live in different times now. Anime won't be able to reach western mainstream fans so easily, so I don't think they would try making something very different from what western anime fans are used to. And making anime for an established western audience seems much better to me than doing more otaku catering stuff.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I want a third season of Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow this is a great idea so long as they remain balanced and keep licensing the other anime out there, and don't over-extend themselves. I can't wait to see what comes out of this partnership!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4