• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prince of Tennis, MÄR Coming to Toonami

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
IT'S CALLED DRIVE B BECAUSE THE BALL BOUNCES IN A B-SHAPED LINE WHEN IT IS USED. HOW, HOW, HOW DO YOU MIS-TRANSLATE THE LETTER B?

I don't know how they could have possibly missed it either with a visual aid, so that really annoys me, but at the same time, it's easy to mix up the letters V and B. They translated the whole phrase to "Drive Volley" I think, to try to make the V actually make sense, but the sounds of V and B in Japanese are similar.

Still, not really an excuse when the serve looks like a B or if the original actually had the English letter, you're right. Some of their translations do bother me. I don't remember which volume, but a friend of mine pointed out they did a bad job translating the character's ages too, and if I find it and it is wrong, it's dumb because Japanese numbers are not that hard to learn.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some of their translations do bother me. I don't remember which volume, but a friend of mine pointed out they did a bad job translating the character's ages too, and if I find it and it is wrong, it's dumb because Japanese numbers are not that hard to learn.

Kyuriko...ages, names (Oshitori??), special moves -- absolutely EVERYTHING is wrong. It's beyond shocking. It's appalling, and should make the editors cower with shame for even letting such a travesty go to print. It's especially ridiculous when so many things ARE IN ENGLISH! Eeeeeengggliiiiiiish. *sighs wearily*

I really don't understand how Viz's translation quality can be so radically different for each title. Why even bother licensing a series if you're not going to care enough to do a decent job? Sad
emory

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
I really don't understand how Viz's translation quality can be so radically different for each title.

Because they're all done by different companies/different people.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:59 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:

Because they're all done by different companies/different people.

I am quite aware they are done by different people -- I'm certainly not ignorant enough to believe Viz's entire catalogue is being translated by a single person, and indeed I have met several editors and translators for different manga companies over the years -- I'm saying that since they obviously think the titles they decide to license have marketable potential why don't they want to produce the highest quality possible? I don't think everything has to be painstakingly researched and have 20 pages of notes explaining cultural references and in-jokes (although of course that would be nice), but SIMPLE ERRORS and gross misstranslations should be corrected and noticed and not be allowed into print. Pick a translation and stick with it (Rizembool/Risembul? Lin/Ling? Drive ABCDEFWTFEVER?), and make sure the translation you do pick is the most faithful and accurate to the original material. There's nothing wrong with adapting for a foreign audience (and can sometimes be fun and interesting), but mutilating the original script and/or artwork for no reason is pointless. Not to mention quite amateur.

I really don't want to start an argument, because I am very excited about this news, if only because it means there will hopefully be a dvd release in the future, and that I can definitely support 100%. Smile
Grenzer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
The dub for Prince of Tennis is nowhere as bad as some of you people make it out to be. While the cast size for it is smaller then Naruto because of a more limited budget, the actors are all very good at their roles (a few mispronunciations aside). Complaints about it being "butchered" are also baseless; the original music is kept, none of the footage is edited, and none of the characters names were actually changed. There was a problem in the first nine episodes related to the Seigaku regulars being addressed by their first names, but they corrected it afterwords.

Please, do not color other people's perception of the dub just because you love the original Japanese voices more.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
Grenzer wrote:

Please, do not color other people's perception of the dub just because you love the original Japanese voices more.

Actually, I am personally bemoaning the state of the manga more than the dub -- earlier in the thread I did say that it wasn't the worst dub I'd ever heard, but some casting choices were just ridiculous and completely out of character, not just from the original seiyuu but simply the personalities of the characters themselves. But again, it could have been much, MUCH worse. I am going to watch it on Toonami, if only to laugh my arse off (or wince in pain, whichever comes first ;- ). And I fully support the dvds, when and if they ever arrive.

Any TeniPuri is better than none. I am extremely happy it is being seen by a wider audience, because it is crackastically delicious and good for you. I just wish it was in a slightly better form, that's all. Smile
Honeyrider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:16 am Reply with quote
Honestly, the PoT dub is arguably lackluster [the manga down right horrendous. They screw up names far to often. Keigo-> Kippei? Shuichiro->Shusuke? why are they even using first names in the first place? And the managed to call Fudoumine Kamio at some point. gragh.] And for the anime, I think the voice director is doing pretty bad work. You have some decent VA's in there, some good ones, doing some of the worst work I've seen. Kirk Thornton I tihnk could've made a good Tezuka, but every line he dlivers is just so stale. And I gave David Lodge as Fuji a chance (not as Kaidoh. He over does all the tennis grunts and tends to indicate) but he really doesn't act that well, lines are just delievered poorly. Even Wendee Lee sounds sub par; So I'm thinking the voice director might not be all that great. Though Jack Lingo makes a lovely Oishi Smile IMO. I'm sort of nuetral to PoT on TV, I personally dislike the dub, but if by some miracle it gets popular maybe some merch will be more available Anime hyper
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
I also enjoy MAR too, it's just that it doesn't get enough love. But I happy to hear that MAR wiil be on tv, even though I think Spike Spencer doesn't make a good Ginta(I think the VA who plays Naruto would sound better), PoT, I really don't care that much.

I bet this is how Toonami will introduce MAR and Pot

Toonami Annoucer: Coming this December Prince of Tennis and MAr will make their toonami debut and were kicking it off will our like 38th Naruto marathon with 4 new epidsodes and completely forget about Zatch Bell.

Toonami Annoucer: SO MAKE SURE TO CATCH THE NEW
NARUTO MARATHON and the permier of Pot and Mar if we have time.

You would be mistaken. December 23, when these two series debut on Toonami, has already been announced as follows:
7 PM- Poke'Mon Battle Frontier
7:30- Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (new)
8 PM- The Batman (new to CN)
8:30- Naruto (encore)
9 PM- Naruto (new)
9:30- Zatch Bell (new)
10 PM- The Prince of Tennis (premiere)
10:30- MÄR (premiere)
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
I... don't think Mr.Shonen was being literal.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:

I never said he was being literal, but CN does tend to do marathons leading up to their new shows, so if they were having another Naruto maraton, it wouldn't surprise anyone, but they're not having another Naruto marathon. Instead, they're having their regular schedule which I listed.
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Grenzer wrote:
The dub for Prince of Tennis is nowhere as bad as some of you people make it out to be. While the cast size for it is smaller then Naruto because of a more limited budget, the actors are all very good at their roles (a few mispronunciations aside). Complaints about it being "butchered" are also baseless; the original music is kept, none of the footage is edited, and none of the characters names were actually changed. There was a problem in the first nine episodes related to the Seigaku regulars being addressed by their first names, but they corrected it afterwords.

I hope I'm not one of the people you're talking about? I already said I liked the dub, but there are some things I don't like about it either. It's not the best, but it's not butchered and it's entertaining and enjoyable. If you're talking about the translations we are discussing - that mostly concerns the manga release (which reminds me, I also dislike how everybody calls each other by their first name, but it's not a really big deal and it doesn't bother me too much).

Although, for people who really feel the dub is terrible, it is only in the beginning stage. There is a lot of room for improvement and it has a high potential of becoming better and better over time, so the best thing to do is wait and give it a chance, but some people just don't like it and that's quite understandable too.

Gah, I'll stop here, because I really don't want this to turn into another sub vs. dub debate. I'm just happy it will get some more attention and it won't be so (relatively speaking because it is insanely popular around the world) obscure.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

I never said he was being literal, but CN does tend to do marathons leading up to their new shows, so if they were having another Naruto maraton, it wouldn't surprise anyone, but they're not having another Naruto marathon. Instead, they're having their regular schedule which I listed.

I just meant it as a joke because I feel, that Toonami just cares about giving nothing but Naruto. I mean come on, the 8:30 slot could be used to show Hikaru no Go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
since the Jetstream doesn't work for me anymore, I'm happy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
I just meant it as a joke because I feel, that Toonami just cares about giving nothing but Naruto. I mean come on, the 8:30 slot could be used to show Hikaru no Go.

It used to be the exact same way about Dragonball Z, so I'm not really surprised. I hope they do a good job of drawing people's attention to these series, though, and I'm hoping to see some commercials soon. Like rocklobster points out, this'll be great for people who can't watch Jetstream, either. I'd like them to show Hikaru no Go too, but for now I'm just happy with them airing TeniPuri and MAR.
kissmedeadly91

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone kno what channel cartoon network is in canada? Ontario to be more specific? because I really want to watch the english dubbed prince of tennis. I’m not sure how good it’ll be though, because I’ve seen all the episodes with english subtitles and it was really good, but a lot of times english dubs screw things up. But I still want to check it out! Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4