• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - One Good Turn

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiro94

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Turn A Gundam is what made me a Gundam fan. My brother has been a Gundam fan for over 15 years and I never could get into it no matter what series i'd try to jump in and watch with him. I started Turn A from the beginning and loved every minute of it. I think it's a great segway into the franchise.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:50 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I could never find anything other than this which read ∀ as Turn-A so I have to agree. Seems like poor english, and it should be upside-down A. It was a rather clever name for the series given what Tomino intended Turn-A to be though.

Watch the opening of the series. It says what it's supposed to be called.

I know what the name of the series is, but that doesn't mean it isn't a case of Japan using shit english. Unless you have some source suggesting Turn-A is a legitimate way to read that symbol normally. Turned-A works. Upside-down A is at least visually accurate.
Kurai_Seraphim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Could someone tell me if turn A is a one that I can start my gundam journey with?
I know that it is it's own self contained universe. I do not know though if it is a bad one to be your first gundam though because you should understand stuff before watching it,

Turn A takes the core Gundam message, which is that conflict should be avoided because war is horrible and innocents will suffer, and backs it away from the giant space battles and heavy military setting.

A typical Gundam series tries to work in at least one robot fight per episode while slowly exploring each side of a conflict, typically with the protagonist deciding that both sides are horrible and using their powerful mech to try to find a solution that doesn't end in total destruction of the enemy.

Turn A Gundam, on the other hand, replaces the war overtones with more of a colonialism type of story. You've got one technically advanced culture working through first contact with a less advanced (but not less civil) culture of indigenous people. Rather than fighting grand battles all the time, it's about misunderstandings, apprehension, and ultimately someone who loves both cultures doing what he can to seek integration rather than supremacy.

Rather than big robot fights all the time, you might get a political meeting, a festival, a formal ball, or some other avenue to explore differences.

Make no mistake though, there will be robot fights. Most Gundam series start small and escalate as the story goes on, and that definitely happens here, but it's at a much slower and more natural pace than you'll find in the other shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2