• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kid's Anime Pretty Rhythm Strips Down Male Idols for New Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
We constantly see naked female characters everywhere, so why are people whining about seeing naked male characters? If you want real equality, you would be fine with both. Or complain about both, not just one. You can't be fine with one and then complain about the other.

Its a spinoff of a kid's franchise. It really isn't about the gender. The original franchise was all females, and if they had limited edition tickets of young girls in the nude there'd be the same concerns brought up.

This it just a really odd choice of movie ticket design for a kid's franchise spinoff.

I'm not saying 'remove it! it's bad!' but it makes me really curious as to what the creative team behind this was thinking for these tickets.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

This it just a really odd choice of movie ticket design for a kid's franchise spinoff.

Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live began getting lots of female (mostly fujoshi) fans due to the choice to focus on the voice actors that voice the male idols. In the past, they had hot idols with hot VAs, but they were never focused on so much.

Pretty Rhythm has NEVER had tickets or bonuses like this. They've had the girls in swimsuits in one or two episodes, and those were honestly really harmless children's swimsuits:

In DMF, they even had the girls in the onsen in full swimsuits (as I remember, at least a majority were not in tankinis, but in one pieces).

(larger version of that image)

Even as a long-time fan, YEAH if they had the girls naked or covered in whipped cream or something in official material I would have a problem. Absolutely. This isn't a matter of sexism. This is just a matter of what kind of a show this is.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
We constantly see naked female characters everywhere, so why are people whining about seeing naked male characters?
Because it's a kids anime. You don't see naked girls in advertisements for the Precure movies. Hell, I've seen advertisements for ecchi anime whose sole target audience is horny straight men that were more modest than this.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
This does bother me, considering Pretty Rhythm is geared towards kids (even if this is about a spin-off series).

I understand wanting to cater to a (new/emerging) fanbase, but doing it like this? Not a good idea.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
It's showta time!

But seriously, even I (as a dirty fujoshi) prefer younger boys to be cute and adorable rather than showing their abs and trying to look sexy.

Looks like this franchise is gonna go the wrong way, which is a shame.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
brucepuppy wrote:

But seriously, even I (as a dirty fujoshi) prefer younger boys to be cute and adorable rather than showing their abs and trying to look sexy.

Fujoshi aren't the problem, I apologize for my wording. It's fujoshi who don't really care about the work itself and are just like BRING OUT NAKED BOYS AND VOICE ACTORS. In a kids' show.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
i can't believe this is real

.. im still gonna watch it though
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, count me in with the people who are confused about why they're marketing a children's show like this. I don't mind the fact that they're portraying naked men, but what makes me a bit puzzled and a bit disturbed is that this is supposed to be for kids (and, if I have these shows straight, for little girls). Does sex sell to that young of an audience?

It kind of reminds me of the little girl at that Jonas Brothers concert many years back who said that watching the boys "makes [her] gyny tingle."
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
We constantly see naked female characters everywhere, so why are people whining about seeing naked male characters? If you want real equality, you would be fine with both. Or complain about both, not just one. You can't be fine with one and then complain about the other.

I see no problem with seeing more anime like Free! coming down the pipeline. However, this just comes off as a little unnerving because unlike stuff like Free!, Pretty Rhythm has a primarily kid audience from what I can tell.

Not for long. Expanding their audience? I can see one potential audience this might play to, but probably not the intended group.

Personally, I don't need to see either types of these characters naked, thanks. That's fair, right?
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
This. . . is weird. I'm not behind it, but I'm torn because I appreciate the rare instances we get of (sexualized) fanservice directed at any female audience.

On the otherhand, I'll chance a guess and say this is the Aikatsu! effect. A 4Gamer article a while back mentioned that after the young girls, older women are the biggest fans of Aikatsu!. Which. . . I totally see reflected, and also understand. PriPara seems to mirror that, going by what I see in the fandom (the Japanese, and US side).

They're probably trying to target the older women more in an effort to get more money out of them, but I don't think this was the way to do it. Aikatsu! manages to do so, and PriPara (Pretty Rhythm as a whole) has a done a pretty fair job without going this direction. Hopefully they won't keep at it from this angle.
marvel knight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
Considering these are teenagers and not even adults, I think having them buck naked is disturbing considering the usual audience of these type of shows. It would be barely acceptable even if they were wearing pants. And I'm a fujoshi! We don't get enough service directed to us, but that doesnt mean it should come from places like this.

However like some people have mentioned before, this seems to be a new direction they're taking due to the well received reception to these male idols. And looking back at the show, while the girls always had very tame swimsuits and the like, The ginger haired boy filmed a shirtless commercial in episode 31, and the main trio just wore skimpy towels at the onsen in episode 39, so this kind of fan service isn't exactly coming out of nowhere, but that's no excuse.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I find this hilarious. Imagine a popular Western cartoon like Adventure Time doing this. You've still got it, Japan! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jirg1901

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Pretty Rhythm (on its own) is not an active children's anime franchise. Nothing being made at this point (eg. the app game) will be aimed at a young girl audience because they're no longer making any arcade machines or merchandise for them, it's for the dedicated older fans. By the time this movie comes out it will have been nearly three years since it aired and even those young girls will have largely moved into the evening anime demographic where you get pretty transparent female targeted fan service in things like AU Gundam and Kuroko no Basuke.

Rainbow Live in the first place was despite those background marketing concerns aiming for a pretty expansive audience between the plot and storytelling, overall casting, and inclusion of fujoshi bait to even out the intrinsic yuri bait of any girls show, this movie is fan service for a particular part of that audience. Understandably some of the other parts aren't going to like it.

It's a bit extreme but PR wasn't really memorable for backing away from things either.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone, male or female really want to be naked in a rose garden?? Shocked Mad
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:
. By the time this movie comes out it will have been nearly three years since it aired and even those young girls...

I'm going to have to stop you there to make a counter argument. In 2013 when Rainbow Live started (a lot of the girls watching Pretty Rhythm didn't necessarily begin with Aurora Dream in 2011), these girls were around 6-10 years old. I went to a convention where a lot of them were (to see material for the anime) right before Rainbow Live started, and that's the ages they were. So what, after two years, they're 8? Maybe 10? 12? That's still the target age demographic. If they still loved Pretty Rhythm, what do you think would be their reaction? According to staff comments, Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live ended up failing because its adult content really confused kids, though it still had lots of popularity among children.

So, to have this when there are still kids that love it... That's like making a "Bikini Warrior Shizuka-chan" Doraemon movie without any male characters and Doraemon not present.

Also, not active isn't exactly true. Pretty Rhythm was a big part of this year's Pripara collab film. It was a clip show, yes, but there were specific showings focusing on Pretty Rhythm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3