• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Sex-Obsessed Cyberpunk Dystopia of Shimoneta

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
valoon wrote:
Great article! However, the show is not flawless I must say.
It may be in contrary to the premise, but I think the SOX Members should be more open to this topic and not freak out and beat the main character when they see him having a boner like it's seen in the opening, since that destroys the whole show for me. We could also see it in the last few episodes...

I think it said more about her character. That despite being very open on the topic of sex, making a lot of jokes about it, it did not make her a sex loving maniac who would be excited by every dick she saw. It largely put her as contrary to Anna who said she hated indecent things, but it created problems In understanding where she had little actual control of things.

I found the series both an interesting topic, and also very amusing. The slippery slope of sexual ignorance is a totally possible thing. I wrote it off largely as trash at first, but it was smarter. The way Anna was used in particular also of notice. Like saying Anna's female on male attempted rape is funny, but also asking why there is such a double standard, and how extreme that is kind of translating to comedy in itself. And there was equal opportunity like with the yaoi stuff, it was uncomfortable to the lead character, but arguably Goriki was a totally nice guy and actually came off as sweet at times.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
at the very least Shimoneta is like, say, Harrison Bergeron where a philosophical or political idea is taken to its extreme. In this, it just shows how detrimental and stupid it is to avoid the issue of sex and how lack of education about it just creates a mess. It's why it's so perfect that Anna, the daughter of the husband-wife team that were the architects of the whole thing, is one of the biggest sexual deviants in the series, being a crystallization of just how much of a failure the whole establishment is and why it doesn't work (and has never worked throughout history)
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
I've always been put off by the idea of using a character's rapey habits for humor so honestly Anna alone may have made me skip on the series. I don't care if someone is a close friend, secret crush or whatever. If they did any of the shit Anna did they would be hit with a restraining order. Period. I don't even see how Anna is supposed to be a representation of how the system fails. She's just a genuine sociopathic rapist who doesn't suffer any consequences because the MC isn't a normal human being. By making an EXTREME exaggeration of what a society devoid of sexual knowledge would do to the youths you LOSE any hope of sending a proper message. I honestly think this one of those shows that people stake way to much into when it's clear the writers didn't really give a shit about about what they were doing (another example being Akame ga Kill).

I personally think a smart/clever writer could make a premise like this actually give a proper commentary on the issue of censorship. Yes it in some instances it has been ridiculous but when doing this sort of thing you need to fairly address BOTH sides of the issue not just paint the other in a light beneficial for your argument. Renaming the series "Strawman" instead of Shimoneta makes more sense to me.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I honestly think this one of those shows that people stake way to much into when it's clear the writers didn't really give a shit about about what they were doing (another example being Akame ga Kill).

There were people looking for meaning in Akame ga Kiru? I find that funny. Those people must be the type that spend too much time commenting on MAL. Clearly the purpose of the show was to induce seizures on its viewers through fast paced action scenes.

I watched the first two episodes of Shimoneta but then, even for me, the show became too obscene. As of today I still don't "get" Shimoneta and don't plan on ever doing so. It's like performance art.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:06 am Reply with quote
It took ANN forever to properly cover the themes of this show instead of the usual bashing it gets for being centered around a sexual revolution and being so sexual comedy focused.

Thanks for this article. FINALLY a fair look into the themes and some of the potential scariness of excessive censorship could look like.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
FINALLY a fair look into the themes and some of the potential scariness of excessive censorship could look like.

I'm more inclined to believe in "The Purge" where everyone is allowed to murder almost anyone they want for a single day than think any of this would happen. Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

You seem to forget that not everybody owned a nice piece of land to cultivate and before there was an industrial revolution in need of cheap labor, families still had 10+ children for a very simple reason, social security (in the number of children).
On the contrary, I know only too well. My own family history is nothing but commoners working for someone else's manor, or farm and later factories and mills. Even my dear lady wife's family were tenament farmers, though tenaments were handed down to the younger generations as long as the rent was paid every month. Her father was one of 12. 2 died at an early age, 3 were killed in WW2 and the rest worked the land of someone else until their retirement or death. Indeed my father-in-law was a dairy farmer for 40 years without a holiday and did not own the farm he worked until shortly before his own retirement when the Lard of The Manor offered it to him for sale to which he did purchase and sold it there after shortly after his daughter and I were married. That was 38 years ago. Her mother was one of only two as her own mother could have no more after her. Aye You might be forgetting that right up to the middle 20th Century the rich were always served by the poor infact one could say it's still happening at this very minute in a way. Wink
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
In the past couples had lots of kids because

That, and another important point: In those days people didn't have access to effective birth control.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Whis-pur wrote:
How is this cyberpunk? Dystopian I can see, futuristic, sci-fi, and what nots I can also see, but cyberpunk? Please help...

My thoughts exactly. There are no "cyber" elements and it's completely missing the atmosphere (the "punk" part).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
In the past couples had lots of kids because

That, and another important point: In those days people didn't have access to effective birth control.
Yes they did. it was the phrase "No thank you." or "Not tonight. I have a headache". Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4