• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers Broadcast Dubs for Dance with Devils, Shomin Sample, Heavy Object

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Cool, mostly ones we expected outside of Shomin (and perhaps Dance).

Looking forward to AoT and Heavy Object, I think HO might even be more fun dubbed with all the exposition, and nice to see them indeed continuing the ones that back with new seasons like Noragami and Seraph as hoped/expected.

Knight-Hart wrote:
The one downside to the SimulDubs is that they don't seem to be releasing BluRays as well.

I'm sure in those cases they are waiting for blu-ray materials for those to be finished, with all the animation fixes and lack of censoring, etc.

The first season of Noragami has been released on blu-ray for example.

Omens1 wrote:
Well, I am looking forward for the Attack on Titan Junior High simul-dub.
Hope the quality is as good as the main series

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I really hope they are getting all of the cast back too otherwise I'd rather wait.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

The first season of Noragami has been released on blu-ray for example.

The first season of Noragami never got a broadcast dub though. Funimation hasn't released any show on DVD/Blu-ray yet that they've done a broadcast dub of. But they also haven't released shows that aired before broadcast dubs even became a thing. Terror in Resonance, which aired the season before Funimation's first broadcast dubs of Laughing Under the Clouds and Pschyo-Pass 2, isn't even being released till Jan 2016. I would expect to start seeing physical releases of some of their broadcast dub shows sometime in 2016.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Here's MY question:

Mike McFarland ADR Directed both Noragami and Attack on Titan. So is he gonna ADR Direct Attack on Titan: Junior High AND Noragami Aragato at the same time? Because that sounds like a lot of work...
OR maybe he'll just direct Noragami Aragoto because it's a true sequel to the first show, unlike Attack on Titan: Junior High, which is kind of a different thing.

Well, whatever happens happens, I guess Razz
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't be the first time the same person was the ADR Director for 2 broadcast dubs at the same time. Christopher Bevins is listed as the ADR Director for both Gangsta and Arslan. But as you say AoT: Junior High is so different from Attack on Titan that it probably wouldn't matter much.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to put it out there Varkyrie Drive -Mermaid- isn't getting simudubbed say whaaaat!!! Still glad to see AOT Junior high and shomin sample though Smile
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Wouldn't be the first time the same person was the ADR Director for 2 broadcast dubs at the same time. Christopher Bevins is listed as the ADR Director for both Gangsta and Arslan.

Oh, really? Had no idea.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I'm just going to put it out there Varkyrie Drive -Mermaid- isn't getting simudubbed say whaaaat!!! Still glad to see AOT Junior high and shomin sample though Smile

TPTB probably finally learned a lesson that should've been obvious from the start.

Dub a censored simulcast when an uncensored version is available on AT-X and people who have editing skills will take advantage of you.

DxD BorN's sales will probably suffer when eventually released on DVD/Blu-ray. The uncensored dub is already out there illegally...

Besides waiting for a proper dub means it actually has a chance to be good even if it means 18 months of waiting. If Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid had a broadcast dub now it'd probably be as terrible as Prison School's broadcast dub (bad casting, bad acting, bad scripting)

Real fans deserve better.
Tusilos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
Too late Funi. Why can't you at least announce something before i get used to the original voices?
quippie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
Sweet! I'm really enjoying all of these and would love to rewatch Dance with Devils to see the finished project. Noragami's first season's dub, I thought, was better, so awesome.
Jedi Master Kirito

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
What fun; broadcast dubs are the future, it seems. I shall switch to the dubs.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
Shomin Sample is definitely a surprise. A pleasant one at that. Funimation have a good track record with comedy anime. I actually expected them to dub Aria AA at first since the dubbed S1 already, but after hearing about the sales I realised why dubbing the show would be a terrible idea.

Kind of shocked about AoT Junior High as well to be honest. I mean sure it's Titan but wouldn't it be a massive pain in the ass to gather all those actors from LA just for some crappy comedy spinoff? With Nagato Yuki-chan they just could just outsource the whole thing to LA but Titan has a mix of both Texas and LA talent.

If they managed to bring in Bryce Papenbrook and Matthew Mercer for this then they truly are insane.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
From screencaps I've been seeing around Funimation's doing some really Japanese subs for Shomim Sample, so I wonder how their dub script is going to be.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:06 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I actually expected them to dub Aria AA at first since the dubbed S1 already, but after hearing about the sales I realised why dubbing the show would be a terrible idea.

Wait where did they say they weren't dubbing AA? Unless you just meant them not simuldubbing. I absolutely loved the original series and was very excited when I saw them pick AA and was looking forward to the dub. They'll probably just dub it when it releases on bluray as even if it didn't sell so well I doubt they'll release a sub only set to a spin off of an already licensed and dubbed main series.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:26 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Dance with Devils and Noragami on the list! Noragami was pretty much a given for getting a dub, but glad it's in stone now. And Dance With Devils I wasn't expecting seeing as otome anime aren't usually Funi's thing, but happy none-the-less! Really want to see the cast list before I decide just how happy I am though...and whether or not they butcher the songs. I prefer it when dubs just leave the songs alone, but we'll have to wait and see I guess.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Kinda strange I'm the first one to bring this up, but has anyone else noticed how completely newcomer unfriendly their new DubbleTalk block is? Two shows are continuations (Seraph of the End and Noragami) and the third is a spin-off that requires at minimum knowledge of a third show to understand the jokes (Attack on Titan Junior High). That's a 24 episode requirement and a 25 episode kind of optional but kind of not watch just to be involved in the post-show discussion. While they're also dubbing Shomin Sample, Dance with Devils, and Heavy Object; those likely won't get much mention beyond the first episode, and will also miss out on discussion during the DubbleTalk post-show. So they've basically made the equivalent of the grown-up table and the kiddie table during Thanksgiving. Anime has enough problems with gatekeeping fans, FUNimation extending that feeling doesn't help matters.

EDIT: Took a better look at the thread and it seems I'm not actually the only one who noticed.

EDIT2: I should also note that I have nothing against FUNimation's picks for Broadcast Dubs in general, they're all solid choices. I just have a problem with them making DubbleTalk into something not accessible for people just now subscribing. Especially with that pretty solid annual subscription deal they have going right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3