• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Delta TV Anime Unveils Teaser, Staff, Characters, Valkyries

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote
This looks like it should be a game, not a TV series. Everything about this PV screams "generic anime," and the CG doesn't mesh with the 2D animation. The CG actually looks inferior to the CG of the 20 year old Macross Plus.

I would rather see an anime version of Macross the First a la Yamato 2199 (as long as they can get it right).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:17 am Reply with quote
I have to say, this captures the trends of today quite nicely. Plus points for having a squad of idol girls piloting as well!

Man, now I wish Mari Okada was on THIS project instead. She probably has some crazy relationships all mapped out ala Aquarion Evol and/or use some leftover plot elements she wasn't able to use in AKB0048.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
those CG models look atrocious WTF. it looks like a major step down for Macross Frontier in terms of CG integration with 2-D elements, it makes no sense
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
those CG models look atrocious WTF. it looks like a major step down for Macross Frontier in terms of CG integration with 2-D elements, it makes no sense

Are you referring to Frontier TV or Movie Frontier?

Of course it'd look inferior to the movies as those had a movie budget. TV Frontier's CG was pretty mediocre though. They didn't nail it until the movies and this is already looking better than the original Frontier's CGI.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
Frontier TV. The CG in the teasers looks worse then Macross Zero!

Only somewhat hyperbole.
pureevil4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
Not nearly enough love for Macross 7 here.

Red at ~0:55 -- Zolan? Don't think we've seen those since Dynamite 7 and the space-whaling.

If this is Macross 7 strikes back, I'll probably love it. Hard to say at this point, no use deciding until we get a whole episode or two.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:31 am Reply with quote
I was looking forward to this announcement so much, but just about everything about it disappointed me, especially the main staff. Yasuda completely botched Arata the Legend, and I find Nemoto a mediocre writer who really falters when he's working on original works instead of adaptations. And the fact that Kawamori's not getting his usual "supervising director" credit gives me the distinct impression that this will be another Aquarion Logos, or worse.

At least the character animation looks nice, even if the CG doesn't. And no word on who's doing the music?

darkchibi07 wrote:
Man, now I wish Mari Okada was on THIS project instead. She probably has some crazy relationships all mapped out ala Aquarion Evol and/or use some leftover plot elements she wasn't able to use in AKB0048.

I was fervently hoping she'd be this show's head writer, but I lost hope once they announced she'd be working on Gundam IBO and Kiznaiver.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
They better have a really good composer if they're not gonna bring back Yoko Kanno, Aquarion Logos OST is so generic and dull.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure If I am watching this. The Idol designs are very generic, and the guys too.

The little love for Macross 7 is because pretty kitschy in its own, That's why I loved it. (And at least is better than the non-canon Macross II.)
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
I'm really excited about this and I can't wait for the premier.
Thank you for mentioning previous idol groups like the Milky Dolls from the VF-X game - some responses I've read act like idol groups are a forbidden thing that's never been done before.

But what I seem to take away from the key visual is that the idol group will be the pilots for the VF-31 while the wind dudes will be the pilots for the Sv-262 so they could be enemies and if that's the case than I think that's an interesting approach? (could it be reminiscent of the Zentradi & Meltlandi conflict from DYRL? eh?) obviously just a theory for now.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I'm really excited about this and I can't wait for the premier.
Thank you for mentioning previous idol groups like the Milky Dolls from the VF-X game - some responses I've read act like idol groups are a forbidden thing that's never been done before.

But what I seem to take away from the key visual is that the idol group will be the pilots for the VF-31 while the wind dudes will be the pilots for the Sv-262 so they could be enemies and if that's the case than I think that's an interesting approach? (could it be reminiscent of the Zentradi & Meltlandi conflict from DYRL? eh?) obviously just a theory for now.

I predict all 5 bad boys will be romantically linked to all 5 good girls by series end. Which is predictable, but hasn't been done in Macross yet.

Also, I notice quite a few characters have 'elf ears', these are 'Zolans' from 7 right? another humanoid Protoculture derived race?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
only if they make the pretty boys sing too, that would be interesting.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
manapear wrote:
The more I look at the image with the idols, the more I realize that artist did not know what the hell they were doing.

I kind of want to watch the trailer, but I have just been so put off basically everything (original) by Satelight since. . . Macross F. And really, F was all over the place. I'm interested because it's Macross, but I'm also ready to be disappointed because it's Macross and Satelight. :/

If you disliked Frontier, retry the Frontier movies. Its not just a copy-paste of the series, but a retelling with a lot of junk cut out. In fact things go in a different direction, as in who lives and dies. I was not entirely happy with Frontier as a series, but Isamu cameos for a second in the Frontier movies. The character name is in the voice credits.

As to Delta, I'm hyped. Idols In Space seems to be a thing Satelite does well. However I'm not looking forward to the combat. The franchise ameks the mechs too fast/streamlined to be any interest to watch. They're gonna fly around and transform faster than I can comprehend and then fire off a bunch of weapons, an obligatory Itano Circus, and then end just as fast.

I like Frontier for the movies, characters, and music. Nothing more or less with that statement. The rest of the series is crap and well, the movies to me are also what saved it. I even watched that crappy Macross 7 crossover movie which was a clipshow of all of 7. Very little of it was new material but at least the footage was HD. Smile
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Frontier TV. The CG in the teasers looks worse then Macross Zero!

Only somewhat hyperbole.

I rewatched Frontier just last year, and yeah, the CG here looks like its gone backwards in budget and modeling. That's really disappointing and I can only hope that it's just early teaser stuff and the show proper isn't airing until Spring, so maybe they'll get more complex and detailed? I'm gonna be very afraid if this is a Winter series.

Besides that, Macross Frontier is just such an amazing series (for its first seven episodes, the middle section of the anime sags tremendously) that Delta is going to have to live up to what came before, and shouldn't just be push-through non-thinking material like Logos, or as light as AKB0048.

Then there's the music. It's gonna be hard to top what Sheryl did as far as teen idol space pop is concerned, and this looks like it's gonna be very teen idol poppy. If it's not Yoko Kanno, then this Macross might suck a big one.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
You committed no hyperbole Mr Adventure. Macross Zero has better CG than this trailer but it was also an A-level OVA. So does Macross Dynamite 7. The TV version of Frontier (the canon one?) became a mess after the first act from a writing standpoint but the visuals were again some of the best that year had to offer too. I also agree that Delta looks like an add for a bad (PS3) VN game.

Edit: I just learned that Macross The Ride (it sounds like an equally awful remake of 7 Trash) exists and we could have gotten more Astro Plan instead so there is still room to sink deeper...

Last edited by residentgrigo on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3