• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scrapped Princess (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zliplus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
spoiler[Especially in the episodes when Pacifica loses her memory (though I kind of hate memory-loss tricks) ]

I agree with you completely here. Most of the time, memory-loss is just used as a gimmick or a senseless plot device, but in Scrapped Princess it actually seems reasonable. spoiler[Pacifica has already been developed as a weak, whiny character, so her breakdown and amnesia is semi-realistic (or at least understandable).]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
zliplus wrote:
spoiler[Pacifica has already been developed as a weak, whiny character, so her breakdown and amnesia is semi-realistic (or at least understandable).]

Yes, she's not that tough but on the other hand I think she has the ability of making people be better persons. spoiler[I mean, look for example at the way Fulle stood up for her and how all the other persons that came in contact with her (most of them) have changed for the better. Shannon doesn't want to kill the people that he fights with because he thinks at how she would feel.]

Regarding the spoiler[memory loss... I liked on the other hand how she remembered everything. That scene is most moving. Shannon's words are simple but so powerful and determines her to remember everything (but to forget about Fulle Rolling Eyes ). What can I say?! Memory has its own tricks. Shocked ]
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
And btw, I have to agree with Key.
Key wrote:
Quote:
Also has one of my all-time favorite quotes from an anime (spoken by Shannon in episode 19, I think): "What is the worth of this world if my little sister can't live in it?"

Definetly something to remember.

I thought I would mention that I agree as well. I had forgotten about that quote for a while, but for nearly a year after I first watched it, I would occasionally go back and watch just that one episode just so I could hear that one line spoken in context. This is one of my absolutely favorite lines from any anime, no... it is my favorite line.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
godakame

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
Add me to the list of people who liked Pacifica. Sure she dosen't contribute anything to actual combat, but uh...I like her springy hair. Actually it would be easier for me to say "I concur with most of what Key". So I concur with most of what Key said.

Anyway SP is one of my favorite animes by my favorite animation studio, Bones. The only thing preventing it from taking the top spot in my list would be those ugly ass football shoulder pads that everyone is sporting Confused .
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Vuwazy wrote:
Past wrote:
I love it and it is one of my favorites but people, especially FMA fans, seem to regard it as a knock-off of Fullmetal Alchemist or it just another adventure anime.

Why? I know they were both produced by studio bones so I see what they might be on to.

It's just an observation I picked up from several anime fans, nothing to do with the actual production values of either of the shows.

Oh I'd like to tell my interesting story about my discovery of Scrapped Princess. I was browsing through the latest issue of Animedia. I can't remember where I got it though but it must have been just after or a few months before it started airing in Japan because it was at least 2 years before I discovered it was being released by Bandai. The issue of the magazine had this beautiful full page artwork of the 3 main characters and I instantly fell in love with the designs. No other anime that year sparked my interest from just character design artwork like Scrapped Princess did. Plus at the time I think I was looking for another anime that was similar to Slayers, which back then was my 2nd or 3rd favorite series. Unfortunately, it took me over a year before I discovered what this anime was called - when I happened to run accross it on cdjapan.com - almost bought it - then a few months later it started being released by Bandai.
I.D. Evo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I really, REALLY, liked this series. The characters and their interactions were so incredibly believable (minus just a few things, but no reason to go into detail) and the story was extremely well done to boot. In fact, my only complaint about this show is the horrible subtitling job that was done. Typo's, the wrong words being used, and it happens all over the place. Btw, they are going to release the whole show as an anime legends collection for $50 march 2007. I for one will be saving my money to buy all of the LE versions so I can get the lil figurines with them (yes I'm that lame Anime smile)

Anyways, does anyone know how well this anime did, or how popular it was? I'm just curious as to why it's not more popular than it is (or maybe it is as popular as I would like it to be, and I just don't know it?)
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
I.D. Evo wrote:
I really, REALLY, liked this series. The characters and their interactions were so incredibly believable (minus just a few things, but no reason to go into detail) and the story was extremely well done to boot. In fact, my only complaint about this show is the horrible subtitling job that was done. Typo's, the wrong words being used, and it happens all over the place. Btw, they are going to release the whole show as an anime legends collection for $50 march 2007. I for one will be saving my money to buy all of the LE versions so I can get the lil figurines with them (yes I'm that lame Anime smile)

Anyways, does anyone know how well this anime did, or how popular it was? I'm just curious as to why it's not more popular than it is (or maybe it is as popular as I would like it to be, and I just don't know it?)

I will agree and say that this show was definitely worth buying at preorder prices and is a steal at Legends prices.

I didn't buy the LE editions since the screenshots of the Pacifica figure (in a goofy pose) with DVD 1 didn't impress me. Also the fact that the figures only cost $20 more than the standard edition made me worry, since most quality 1/6 - 1/8 PVCs go for around 4000+ yen. Also the figures in volumes 3-6 seem to be more like gashapon figures in size, although I'm just guessing by the online pics. $10 would be somewhat steep for something that small. Anyone here buy the LE versions of this series?

As for how popular, I believe the novels were moderately popular and the series did very well in Japan. I believe I recall seeing it on Amazon's top anime list during it's release, but might be my memory playing tricks since it was a few years ago. I do recall seeing 12 Kingdoms being on the the amazon list with every new volume, and have a theory that anime based off of novels tend to do better in Japan than in the US. Then again the lists have been nothing but Gundam from top to bottom these last couple years.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:59 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I.D. Evo wrote:

I will agree and say that this show was definitely worth buying at preorder prices and is a steal at Legends prices.

I didn't buy the LE editions since the screenshots of the Pacifica figure (in a goofy pose) with DVD 1 didn't impress me. Also the fact that the figures only cost $20 more than the standard edition made me worry, since most quality 1/6 - 1/8 PVCs go for around 4000+ yen. Also the figures in volumes 3-6 seem to be more like gashapon figures in size, although I'm just guessing by the online pics. $10 would be somewhat steep for something that small. Anyone here buy the LE versions of this series?
Yeah the subtitling wasn't really up to par with normal standards--sure, the names were more correct than the fansubs, but I seem to remember a number of it's/its -type errors that a little more QC would've fixed. Not to mention the inconsistencies in the dub with Cyn/Cin/Sim/Suin/whatever you call her. Kind of unfortunate, but whatcha gonna do?

I bought all the LEs, and while I'm not the world's best judge of figure quality, I can say that the smaller figures are about 1.5-2.0x gashapon size, compared to the Negima LE gashapon figures. And yeah, since it's Bandai, I pretty much expected a rediculously cheap Anime Legends collection sooner or later. At least they had enough sense to wait over a year since the last volume (January 2006-March 2007).
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 1-4

I loved Scrapped Princess, but I only ever saw it once. My roommate, though, hasn't seen it at all, so we're watching it. We both enjoyed Chaika, and this being an older series from the same author, I figure she'll enjoy this one as well. I do wish, though, that more than 3 of the novels came out in English.

At its basics, Scrapped Princess is a very standard fantasy series. You can practically make a checklist of standard tropes and mark them off as you go:
Young boy/girl on a quest? Check
Young boy/girl has no fighting ability? Check
Young boy/girl accompanied by protectors? Check
Young boy/girl has mysterious destiny? Check
I could go on, but it would be more of the same. At the same time, the way it weaves things together is more unique.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The novels are fantastic! I'm in the middle of the 3rd one. Very engaging and full of character details that they just didn't have the time to translate to the screen. Raquel in particular has more time to shine in the novels, I feel that she barely got characterized at all in the show. It really makes me wonder how things differ in the novels with other details. Are there different plot points? Maybe if the Chaika novels do well in the English market we'll get Scrapped Princess.

I just watched episode 23 (the penultimate one) and came here to say: spoiler[I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! I knew Prince Forsythe would stab Paciifica! I didn't expect him to stab himself as well, but that makes a lot of sense given his kind and empathetic character. Damn! I'm sad that he won't make it, and that the twins never got to know each other. I'm sure Pacifica will survive somehow, [b]how]/b] is up in the air. And even though it was extremely stupid to allow Pacifica to meet his brother, I understand why they went through with it-i-t fits in with one of the overall themes of the show: choice.]
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 5-20

Well, I'm impressed with my roommate. She hasn't figured everything out, but she did figure out spoiler[that it's an artificially controlled world created by technology] in Episode 6. It took me much longer to figure that out.

Watching this, and now knowing that it's based on light novels, I'm really curious how it lines up with the novels. There are some instances that feel like they must be their own novel. The stuff with spoiler[Cin] for one, and the stuff with spoiler[Elfitine], for another. But without knowing how many novels were adapted, I can't tell how good the pacing is.

Given that it seems that some of these arcs that I'd guess were novels are only 2 episodes each, they could very well have adapted most of the 13 core volumes (the other 5 are side stories, according to Wikipedia). I should actually read the 3 volumes I have at one point. Looking at their titles, the stuff with spoiler[Elfitine] may be volume 3, which would mean they're either moving stuff around, or the novels have more to them than I was thinking.

Having just watched spoiler[RahXephon], I'm getting shades of it, especially in the arc with spoiler[the Beast Princess], and then spoiler[Shannon and the Gigases vs. the Peacekeepers].
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The novels are fantastic! I'm in the middle of the 3rd one. Very engaging and full of character details that they just didn't have the time to translate to the screen. Raquel in particular has more time to shine in the novels, I feel that she barely got characterized at all in the show. It really makes me wonder how things differ in the novels with other details. Are there different plot points? Maybe if the Chaika novels do well in the English market we'll get Scrapped Princess.

I just watched episode 23 (the penultimate one) and came here to say: spoiler[I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! I knew Prince Forsythe would stab Paciifica! I didn't expect him to stab himself as well, but that makes a lot of sense given his kind and empathetic character. Damn! I'm sad that he won't make it, and that the twins never got to know each other. I'm sure Pacifica will survive somehow, [b]how]/b] is up in the air. And even though it was extremely stupid to allow Pacifica to meet his brother, I understand why they went through with it-i-t fits in with one of the overall themes of the show: choice.]

Ha ha... yeah. spoiler[ It's a shame that he won't survive...]

spoiler[Seriously though, I do love the happy ending and the show overall, but I do feel a little cheated by the survival of the two of them.] Either way, I love the themes of the show. It's severely underrated. It's a shame Bandai copies are expensive as all heck. I hope Funimation will license this soon.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
The Elfitine incident does indeed take place in the 3rd novel...the events of the first novel are basically skipped altogether, so that would make a particularly good read if you liked the show--it serves as an introduction to the series from before Shannon, Raquel and Pacifica begin their journey. The events at Taurus happen in the 2nd novel. And now I wish we had all the novels again, especially the side stories which the show probably didn't even touch.

Ep 24: spoiler[Egg on my face, the prince did survive! Well that makes absolutely no sense. Just because they live in a VR world doesn't mean anyone has ever survived a fatal wound before (except for Shannon when he was teamed up with Zefiiris.) If Pacifica's power was strong enough to keep people from dying, Fulle wouldn't have died...]

I'll write some overall impressions of the series later.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The Elfitine incident does indeed take place in the 3rd novel...the events of the first novel are basically skipped altogether, so that would make a particularly good read if you liked the show--it serves as an introduction to the series from before Shannon, Raquel and Pacifica begin their journey. The events at Taurus happen in the 2nd novel. And now I wish we had all the novels again, especially the side stories which the show probably didn't even touch.

Ep 24: spoiler[Egg on my face, the prince did survive! Well that makes absolutely no sense. Just because they live in a VR world doesn't mean anyone has ever survived a fatal wound before (except for Shannon when he was teamed up with Zefiiris.) If Pacifica's power was strong enough to keep people from dying, Fulle wouldn't have died...]

I'll write some overall impressions of the series later.

I can't wait to know your overall thoughts, especially with the whole... shock value ending of 23 only to be undone in 24.

spoiler[It's one reason that I can't fully appreciate Clannad like I used to. That reset button ending of Clannad made everything worthless, but here... it's less so. Yeah, the death and revival of Pacifica and... prince brother (I totally don't remember his name) was awful, but I feel that only lowers the show one "letter grade." It's like how Gankutsuou is perfect in every scene, episode, moment, plot development, etc. up until episode 23's... certain climactic scene. Should I really hold it against Scrapped Princess if everything else was great?]

On that note, this was all done with pretty "meh" animation and production. You can tell when watching, but that doesn't lower the quality at all to me. It just proves that powerful storytelling doesn't need big, flashy epicness to reel you in.

I'm interested to know, did you have any favorite characters or moments? Shannon, Leo, and Berkens were some of mine.

As for my favorite moment, it would have to be when spoiler[Pacifica meets her mother in prison.] It was emotional in all the right (or if you dislike feeling sad, wrong) ways. Especially since spoiler[her mother figures out who Pacifica is, but never tells Pacifica who she is.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4