• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To Split: Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch/Pure

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I think we should split this series into two seasons, given they have different titles:

anime#2289
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
soaker87

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't disagree, but as I added a lot of the staff credits to it, what to do about that? Remove the ones that are relevant to Pure only? I wouldn't mind editing them if that would make it easier.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
If everyone agrees it should be split, you could remove the staff that are only from the 2nd season from the original entry and re-add them to the second entry.

Piggybacking to add:
Cardcaptor Sakura's seasons should be as well, if there really were 3-4 month gaps between seasons: anime#126
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
I agree with splitting Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch. However, note that when Dan42 made the rule that things should be split into seasons whenever possible, he specifically said not to go back and split old entries unless there is a good reason to do so (see the last post in this thread). You might want to double check with him before splitting anything old into multiple seasons (it might have been that he just didn't want to spend the time himself to split things, or he might have been worried about messing up links to the pages, or the ratings for the series, or something like that).

For Cardcaptor Sakura, I'm not sure if it should be split, or if it is split whether it should be split into two or three entries. I've rarely heard anyone refer to it having seasons in the US (perhaps since the US releases were never divided into seasons), while it looks like the Japanese releases basically treat it as having two seasons (the Clow Cards and the Sakura Cards parts, basically treating what we are calling seasons 1 and 2 as season 1, and what we are calling season 3 as season 2). However, if we want our encyclopedia entries to match how we would have made them if we had made them while the series was airing, then I do think we would have had three entries. So maybe making it into three entries makes the most sense.

However, if you have time to split entries, there are a few things I would rather see split before you get to either of those two.

First and foremost is Super Deformed Double Feature, which is two separate anime made a few years apart by different companies. Doc Watson brought this up nearly a decade ago (see this thread), and I've since made new anime queue submissions for the two anime (here and here).

Second, a couple years ago Dormcat said she would split the Ranma 1/2 OVAs into separate entries (in this error report), but then she apparently never had time to do it. I thought splitting them sounded good at the time, so I would still like to see them split if anyone has time to do so (note that one of the things listed in the OAV episode list does already have its own separate entry . . . see the error reports on the episode list for more info).

Another thing that seems like a very good candidate to be split is The Big O, which had two seasons separated by a substantial amount of time, and also with different production committee members (since Cartoon Network helped produce the second season but not the first, as far as I am aware).

Other things I'm aware of that could be split are Godannar and Girls Bravo. However, those are only things that should be split if you have a lot of time on your hands and Dan says it is OK to split them (he specifically said not to bother splitting things like that in the thread I linked at the top, though again, that might have just been him not having the time to do all the work involved himself).
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
1) I seem to recall Dan being worried about the ratings, in regards to old series splitting.

2)Before this post, I would have bet money that Big O was already in two seasons.

3) dormcat is a dude.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
3) dormcat is a dude.

I'm sure I've made that mistake before, yet I keep forgetting that. Hopefully I will remember that from now on and not need to be reminded again.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
Second, a couple years ago Dormcat said she would split the Ranma 1/2 OVAs into separate entries (in this error report), but then she apparently never had time to do it. I thought splitting them sounded good at the time, so I would still like to see them split if anyone has time to do so (note that one of the things listed in the OAV episode list does already have its own separate entry . . . see the error reports on the episode list for more info).

Sorry, my bad. Separating those high-profile vintage titles has to be very careful (which means time-consuming); the Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters case was still a bit haunting, as well as some unnecessarily separated cases. The case of GoLion / Voltron is another example (sigh).

And yes, I'm a dude. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
One advantage to splitting CCS would be chronology; IIRC the first movie was set between the Clow Card and Sakura Card arcs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
One advantage to splitting CCS would be chronology; IIRC the first movie was set between the Clow Card and Sakura Card arcs.

The first movie is actually set between the first and second season (i.e., between episodes 35 and 36), but the division between the Clow Card and Sakura Card arcs is between the second and third season (i.e., between episode 46 and 47). However, the movie was released between the second and third season. I don't think splitting the TV series would really make it easier to place the movie in chronological position unless we did something like link the movie as both a sequel to season 1 and a prequel to season 2.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Unlike the second movie, which was a grand finale to the series, the first CCS movie has no bearing on the overall story, and is never (to my remembrance) referenced again after the events occur. Therefore, regardless of its placement chronologically, I'd still list it as a side story.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
I've changed the relationship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1