• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Cancels One Piece Production

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Ishida-kun wrote:
You ARE aware that edited art in manga is a VERY bad thing. Thanks to it I now by the REAL THING from Japan. What in the world are those idiots editing out of Eyeshield 21? Are youware that Viz DBZ is rated "A" because it has edited and modified art and that VIZ even tell you their manga is edited in the front flap of each volume? Toriyama (a known perfectionist) blew up once over VIZ editing Dragonball back in the original English manga. Changing art is a sin,imagine someone going up to the Mona Lisa in a museum and erasing part of her face to fit their own liking? Does anybody agree with me?

I agree with you, and I understand your point. I really don't know where Malintex Terek is coming from, seeing as how he hates Viz so much.

from an artist standpoint i understand fully and agree. if they wanna sell the manga up the rating or chuck it. i rather not see it rather than see a wateredown version. a persons art is sacred and should not be touched by hands other than the artist.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
To SetoChaos: E-mails won't work. Trust me on this. E-mail is a disposable form of communication when sent from unofficial resources, and at best we'd only reach a public feedback address. Snail mail is the way to go.

In OP's case, first you'll want to hit up Toei, as they animated OP originally. (You'll need more than one stamp for your letter to reach Japan.) Here's their Japanese offices:

Toei Animation Ohizumi Office
2-10-5 Higashi Ohizumi
Nerima-ku, Tokyo 178-8567 Japan

Toei Animation Shinjuku Office
58 Yokodera-machi
Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-0831 Japan

They also have an American sales office, though I doubt you'll get much help from them:

Toei Animation Incorporated
2029 Century Park East, Suite 422
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Here's VIZ Media and FUNimation's addresses:

VIZ Media LLC
P.O. Box 77010
San Francisco, CA 94107

FUNimation Productions LTD
6851 NE Loop 820
Suite 247
Fort Worth, TX 76180

Okay, so you're going to write a letter. Like I said, this is the best approach; e-mails are throwaway communication when sent from unofficial resources (At best you'll only reach a public feedback address), and if you were to call the companies yourself without knowing exactly whom you're calling, you'll only log general complaints that can get lost in the system.

1. Put a "Re: (Subject)" or "Attn: (Subject)" in the address (Be it One Piece anime/manga or whatever). Until we know a physical person who represents these, we want to give the companies a good idea of what these letters are about, lest they get sent to the general/unsorted bin.
2. Typing or writing in pen is fine, but if you're going to take the latter course of action, WRITE LEGIBLY! These guys aren't pharmacists. And use unruled (unlined) paper. Obviously rough up your letter once until you've decided what you want to say, then rewrite it neatly on a second sheet with pen.
3. Be polite, be polite, BE POLITE! Nobody wants to read a rant, and if you tear VIZ apart for using the dub names in the manga or whatever, or try to rip old wounds in FUNimation, your letter will only reach the vertical file (garbage can). Also, avoid any and all references to "the fans could do a better job", the fansubs/scanlations, etc., that degrades you from "watcher of the show/reader of the manga" to "obsessed Internet otaku". If you're going to do comparisons of the 4Kids dub and the original, you may add that you've seen a few eps of the Japanese release and really liked the music it had playing, but avoid mentioning it if you've actually seen the Japanese eps.
4. ALL YOUR LETTERS HAVE TO BE UNIQUE! If VIZ/FUNimation finds out they're getting letters that use the same framework with various alterations or copies of the same letter, this will really damage how seriously they take future comments/suggestions/complaints.
5. Proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation are your friends! You're not writing a college paper, but every significant typo you make will decrease readability, and thus the respect you get from the person reading your letter. If you're too lazy to proofread your work yourself, you can always find a friend who excels in writing papers and have them proofread it for you.
6. Even if they make a change, keep in mind that it will take several episodes/volumes before the effects of that change show up.
7. Don't attack every single aspect of the show/manga you find imperfect. Just pick your one major troubling factor and focus on that in your letter.

*applause*
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Ishida-kun wrote:
You ARE aware that edited art in manga is a VERY bad thing. Thanks to it I now by the REAL THING from Japan. What in the world are those idiots editing out of Eyeshield 21? Are youware that Viz DBZ is rated "A" because it has edited and modified art and that VIZ even tell you their manga is edited in the front flap of each volume? Toriyama (a known perfectionist) blew up once over VIZ editing Dragonball back in the original English manga. Changing art is a sin,imagine someone going up to the Mona Lisa in a museum and erasing part of her face to fit their own liking? Does anybody agree with me?

I agree with you, and I understand your point. I really don't know where Malintex Terek is coming from, seeing as how he hates Viz so much.

from an artist standpoint i understand fully and agree. if they wanna sell the manga up the rating or chuck it. i rather not see it rather than see a wateredown version. a persons art is sacred and should not be touched by hands other than the artist.

Here is the thing though. Even in Japan, the form of a manga, as it is released in a serial or as a graphic novel, cannot be 100% proven to be the original author's intent, unless it happens to be a fan comic (not nessecerally based on licensed media. Haibane Renmei for example, is a fan comic, simply meaning it's more independantly produced). The reason being is that they have to go through editors, who will advise and alter things so that the finished product is appropriate for their intended market (as to how much they can enforce is a case by case basis. Violence Jack got a lot of flak from editors and such for being far too violent, considering where it was published, but no one really wanted to shoot him down over it). It could be said that an artist, publishing their work through a studio or corporation that activley alters their work from the very beggining or even 'influences' it to be more appealing to a target audience is not, infact, producing art (which is a load of crap TBH).

What we see is that it is art, but it's not sacred, and really, you do not need any more justification for editing here than the Japanese take for editing there. It sucks, I know, but I'm being devil's advocate here and saying this because it's how it happens all over the world, in all manners of print media.
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

What he's saying is that it wouldn't be totally out of the ordinary if Toei just pulled the license if 4Kids left it stagnant for too long, not that they had anything to do with them stopping.

Emerje

Ah, okay. But since Toei hasn't done that in the past, there's no reason to think they would now. I obviously don't know the details of the contract they signed, but if Toei was compensated according to the agreement, then I'm fairly certain they can't do anything. 4Kids, unless they're in breach of contract, are the primary license holders for the first 104 episodes of One Piece in North America until 2009. Toei doesn't give a squirrel's nut what they do with it, so long as they get paid what was agreed upon. Toei trying to pull the license without cause would be like you leasing a car and making all the payments, but because you don't drive it, the leasing company comes and tows it away.
becharm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I knew this day would come sooner or later, but it would be best if they make this decide earlier. Just look at how Viz makes Naruto and Bleach popular here in the USA. 4Kids really did rapped that chance from One Piece a long time ago. Hoefully, it will get redub sooner.

Let all send letters/e-mail a fav. dub company of your choice and ask them nicely about leasing the license and redub them. HOWEVER, I THINK IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO SEND LETTER TO CARTOON NETWORK, BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALSO AIRED ONE PIECE ALL ALONG TOGETHER WITH OTHER SHONEN SHOWS. IF THEY GET ENOUGH REQUEST FROM FANS, MAYBE MIRRACLE WILL HAPPEN.

This is the greatest present this Christmas. Wink

4KIDS better sale the license before they go bankrupt.
Ishida-kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Kahn doesn't even have the guts to admit defeat by giving us a press release.

In Stimpy's words "For shame".

In Yoichi Hiruma's (from Eyeshield 21) catchphrase "YA-HA!".
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
Emerje wrote:

What he's saying is that it wouldn't be totally out of the ordinary if Toei just pulled the license if 4Kids left it stagnant for too long, not that they had anything to do with them stopping.

Emerje

Ah, okay. But since Toei hasn't done that in the past, there's no reason to think they would now. I obviously don't know the details of the contract they signed, but if Toei was compensated according to the agreement, then I'm fairly certain they can't do anything. 4Kids, unless they're in breach of contract, are the primary license holders for the first 104 episodes of One Piece in North America until 2009. Toei doesn't give a squirrel's nut what they do with it, so long as they get paid what was agreed upon. Toei trying to pull the license without cause would be like you leasing a car and making all the payments, but because you don't drive it, the leasing company comes and tows it away.

And that's why we should write letters to Toei. Better yet, we should suggest that they take a page from Studio Ghibli's book and start instituting a no-edit policy on ALL their properties that see American release.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
dentedonion wrote:
I wonder why they chose to treat the One Piece manga differently from Bleach and Naruto? You mentioned earlier that they did a poor job handling the One Piece manga; do you mean name and dialogue changes? I saw that they had changed marines to navy, are you talking about those sort of differences? Or advertising? I'm just interested in knowing what it was they did.

I do not think the disparty of treatment between OP, Naruto, and Bleach was all that noticeable prior to when the anime were licensed; if anything, Naruto and OP had the advantage of being in Shounen Jump while Bleach was released faster, so I suppose those two factors even out. All three were promoted equally.

When Naruto premiered, though, VIZ Media devoted a lot less energy to promoting One Piece; it was bad enough they hardly promoted either series prior to Naruto's big debut (since, even in their dying stages, the DBZ and YGO franchsies were heavily promoted by VIZ) but following it OP was basically forgotten. Even when 4Kids had actually started airing the program, there were few ads devoted devoted to the manga by VIZ, and of course there were the controversial changes to the manga that got a lot of people

I believe this was the wrong route to go; it's obvious to even the most casual browser that One Piece is a highly unconventional anime, so VIZ Media needed to put its whole marketing might behind promoting the series to actually get people to look past the artwork, outrageous fighting and strange atmosphere to actually get into the themes, which is probably what distinguishes OP from all other shounen in the eyes of nearly all the fans.

Even Kounosuke Uda, the director for the OP anime, realized that the series was unusual but recognized its potential and how easily that potential could be lost; he had to rework the anime's opening episodes to a storyelling style the average television viewer would be "accustomed" to.

In regard to treatment now, VIZ Media basically neglects the manga; the dialogue is incredibly childish without "pseudo-swears" to make it seem more mature than it really is, not to mention there are numerous translation and spelling errors. Take, for example, the December 2006 issue of Shounen Jump; Monkey D. Luffy's bounty is mocked by several Baroque Works agents as being "300,000,000 berries", which is an error since at that time his bounty was "30,000,000 berries" and was written IN ENGLISH on a wanted poster several chapters before. This indicates that not only do the translators/adaptors/editors neglect to check for consistency, they don't even look at the artwork.

Additionally, there is a complete omission of double entendre/puns that Eiichiro Oda puts into his work. If there's potential for a pun, Oda will put one in, and almost everything is a pun in this sense; take Zoro's attack "Onigiri", which could be read as either "demon slash" or "riceball". This hidden cultural meaning isn't even referenced with a footnote in the VIZ manga; instead, many of the references are for trivial stuff, like imbedded sailing nomenclature that wasn't originally in the story or a huge paragraph meant to explain why some fat Manmer had a small manji on his gut.

dentedonion wrote:

But in general do you think they were trying to market the manga to young children to be congruent with 4kids, instead of targeting teenagers as was the case with Naruto and Bleach? Maybe if they had aquired the rights to the One Piece anime things would have been different and they would have had complete control over marketing for each product. But, eh what's done is done.

I do not think any of those titles are aimed at teenagers, they're all geared for the youngest common consumer, a child. The issue with OP is that, like The Rocky and Bullwinkle show, there's a lot of hidden stuff in the manga for adults to enjoy that are not necessarily in Naruto or Bleach. One Piece's major failing is that it has a lot more "intelligent" humour than either Bleach or Naruto yet it has a far more childish art style.

Granted, Naruto and Bleach do use cultural legends and stuff, but that's no different from Western comic books using legends; the stuff in Eiichiro Oda's manga is, in almost every instance, fresh/original writing.

As my associate Ubiq once pointed out to make, take God Ener's sentence, "Watashi wa kaminari". "Kami" is God, "nari" is the bearng of fruit, and "Kaminari" means thunder; God Ener is a Logia Devil Fruit user who has the power of thunder and lightning. That's an incredible meaning, and given VIZ Media's track record, they would probably only translate that as "I am thunder".

In my view, either the triple meaning of that case be footnoted or some type of localization be applied; I suggested a translation of "I'm just JOVIAL", which is a pun toward Jove, the Roman name of Zeus the Greek God of the heavens (who weilded lightning) and sarcastic annoyance, which is typical of Ener.

Yet, even something as amateur as that kind of localization is completely avoided, which is a trademark of either no effort, poor writing, or a lack of caring. One Piece deserves better than that.

dentedonion wrote:

And it's true that both groups (children and teenagers) are solid demographics to appeal to, but since a popular manga like Naruto is uncut and is read by both teens and young kids than shouldn't they edit less or even leave it uncut? That way they could appeal to both groups and it might boost sales.

Naruto in its current form is selling well, breaking all records in fact; as such, the market is receptive to the treatment VIZ is giving Naruto and nothing should be changed. It appeals to people in all demographics and transcends sterotypes about manga, thus promoting Japanese culture (which is unalienable, since Naruto has a Japanese setting).

Additionally, Naruto as a manga pretty much *is* uncut, aside from the translation of certain attack names and the artwork sound effect edits. One of my colleagues mentioned on Arlong Park that the a recent Naruto English volume contained Neiji Hyuuga's manji, which was censored in its original Shounen Jump run.

However, this "uncensored" treatment isn't exactly working for OP; it's not really uncensored, nor is it it fully localized. Rather, it's in limbo, trying to appeal to all demographics at once yet failing to land a solid footing in any of them. What should happen is VIZ Media produce a manga and then let an audience be attracted to it, not try to pre-emptively appeal to a certain audience.

In the case of One Piece, that sort of approach has shown itself to be ineffective, so some active attempt to appeal at a certain demographic must be employed; VIZ should have promoted One Piece as a sort of "no-rules, no-parents do-whatever-the-heck-one-wants" kind of story (think Pleasure Island in Pinocchio) with a fresh mixture of intelligent, crude, and absurd humour. The primary audience in this case would be children, since the children would be attracted to the "bad behaviour" of the main characters (while entertained by the action and "crude" humour), while the adults would read into the story for the deep themes and "intelligent" humour.

SetoChaos wrote:

This is a Dragonball Z situation. When that was butured FUNimation fixed it and look how well its done now. Its still being released, HD edition next year.

Except at the time of DBZ most people didn't know it was butchered, they thought the dub was great; DBZ popularity went down for a bit after FUNimation, who *had* the license all the time (they were just working with the censor-happy Saban) switched to their new style and actors.

What benefited FUNimation was that DBZ already had a huge amount of popularity from its Cartoon Network run, and it was at a "climax" of the series, that is, the final fights of the Freezer Saga on Namek.

One Piece is a whole different kettle of fish; Arabasta has been finished by 4Kids, thus leaving any new group to either redub one hundred and twenty episodes of the series, risking the ire of people considering the new dub "reruns", and the next arc, Skypiea, is extremely convoluted especially in anime form and weeded out a HUGE number of fans gained from Arabasta in Japan.

Couple that with knowledge of 4Kids actually butchering the series and reception is exceptionally poor. Whoever gets the OP license now needs more money than 4Kids to bring it out of the red.

The only company I could possibly imagine with that kind of clout is The Walt Disney Company; so, pretty much, OP is done for at least four more years.

SetoChaos wrote:

Lets look at the situation. 4Kids stops One Piece. Viz has Naruto. FUNimation needs something to have alongside it, how about One Piece? 4Kids may sell their rights to them.

I'd love that, I really would, but Toei doesn't seem to like FUNimation anymore, since they negotiated to take away the DVD distributing rights from FUNimation even though FUNimation distributes the DVDs of *all* other 4Kids properties. There's somewhat of a relationship between 4Kids and FUNimation, but that doesn't mean FUNimation would accept buying the license.

Remember, they're still reeling from Detective Conan, which is Yomiuri's big cash-cow that lost its cable-television slot due to low ratings and is extremely expensive, rivalling if not equalling One Piece. Licensing Detective Conan is almost certainly the reason FUNimation did not pursue the One Piece license; at the time, they couldn't afford it!

SetoChaos wrote:

Or maybe because Viz has the Manga they would get One Piece. How well is the Manga doing? I'm sure people who read the Manga would want uncut versions. Also theres the fact that ever since 4Kids stopped releasing uncut DVDs (Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King) FUNimation has pestered them to make more. Didn't happen. This could mean new voice actors. Personally I couldn't care less in One Piece's case due to the VAs being bad. They may keep them should there be an agreement.

The VIZ Media manga is a mediocre sale, less than other properties like Ranma 1/2 or Inu-Yasha, let alone Naruto or Bleach. It isn't exactly well liked, but it does make sales; it just doesn't make proportional sales to its status in Japan, which essentially means its a failure in the West.

Additionally, most of the manga readers are 4Kids anime fans, not the folks like those on the 'net who read the comics from Japan. Cutting off the 4Kids anime would likely result in a drop of interest/sales in the manga.

Finally, I do not think there is any evidence to suggest that FUNimation "pesters" 4Kids for uncut DVDs. The uncuts sold well, but not better than the censored DVDs, so 4Kids discontinued them.

Emerje wrote:

I don't agree, I'd call One Piece much more graphic than Naruto. Your three examples from Naruto were all pretty tame. Kakashi hitting Haku with the Chidori had very little blood to it and done tastefully. Gaara at his worst is usually hidden by the sand and left to your imagination, same with Kankuro's attacks. And Kimimaro doesn't even get on the graphic scale, pulling out his own bones as part of his jutsu, harmlessly and bloodlessly, is more cool and unique than shocking and gory. Naruto does quite a bit to imply the violence, it's rare to see any blood spray or characters soaked in their own blood. Don't get me wrong, it happens, but not nearly on the scale that it happens on in Bleach and One Piece.

So, to clarify, how you're defining "graphic" in this instance is physical violence shown, not necessarily implied or psychological in nature. If that's the case, I'll direct you to this collage I've just made; since I do not own any Bleach volumes or tankobans, panels from that manga are not included:

Violence comparison of One Piece and Naruto.

Just in case,

spoiler[
As you can see from this, the first panel is what I consider the most "graphic" panel in all of One Piece, Zoro's wound from Mihawk. The last panel is the runner up, Luffy's impaling from Croc. In the middle are the various Naruto panels that I thought to be fairly significant; the largest is of course Kakashi v. Haku, which is the goriest image on the entire collage. This is followed by Hayate, who has been cleaved in half, and Dosu, who is much the same.
]

Keep in mind that that the the two OP images are the *most* graphic in the entire manga, whereas the ones in Naruto are only for something like the first ten volumes; that's omitting Naruto v. Kabuto (Sannin), the fights in the "Rescue Sasuke Arc", and especially Naruto II (heck, just check out last week's chapter for another impaling).

Given these two rare instances in OP, the most common "graphic" violence in the manga are bloody clothes, bloody limbs or light flying blood here and there; no gushing, no pools, few impaled bodies and only a single instance of a limb being ripped off. At its most violent, OP isn't even close to Naruto's wanton violence, let alone Bleach.

Emerje wrote:

OP on the other hand loves to push the bar. Every story arc gets more bloody and brutal than the last. The first episode has someone getting their one chopped off and it escalates from there. I thought the fight against Crocodile was rather brutal, there's nothing like that in Naruto and then it goes up in the next arc on the sky island where even Nami, Chopper, and Usopp are soaking up the floor.

This is a different type of "graphic", though; physical violence. The Water 7 arc had relatively little blood, but there were a lot of beatings. Past Luffy v. Croc I there has been little explicit content like an impaling (Lucci did something like this, though, in W7 but it wasn't a killing move), and, as I defined earlier, much of the "graphic" violence were bloody clothes and limbs with some flying blood.

Ironically, Chopper, Nami, and Usopp walked away from Skypiea burnt and bruised, not bloody; few people who did not fight Zoro ended up like that.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:35 am Reply with quote
Ishida-kun wrote:
Looks like Kahn doesn't even have the guts to admit defeat by giving us a press release.

Think about it from a business standpoint: Do you really want to reveal the fact that you just failed royally on a property that you hyped as "The Next Yu-Gi-Oh?"

Simply put, the reason why he hasn't sent out a press release (much like how most TV networks don't do when they cancel shows) is he doesn't want it to be obvious to investors and the like. That shows that the company could be showing signs of weakness.

That reminds me...maybe one day I should call into Mad Money with Jim Cramer and ask about 4Kids, and say on air the follies of Kahn on why "i'm hesitant on buying that stock." Think kahn might have a heart attack when that airs?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:14 am Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it wouldn't be the first time Toei had pulled a license off someone holding one before it was due to expire. Sailor Moon anyone? Wink

Not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Toei had nothing to do with 4Kids not picking up more of OP. 4Kids decided they didn't want anymore, most likely because the cost was too high and ratings too low to sell merchandise and make profit the way they want to. Licensing costs are making big name, long anime series near impossible to pick up, even for 4Kids. They've said as much, and that they want to start concentrating on their own productions rather than importing as a result.
My point is, it is not unheard of for the licensor to revoke rights from a licensee, if that licensor feels the licensee is not honoring the terms of the license, which is causing very little, or no returns in royalties. Especially if it is no fault of the production itself, but the way the licensee has handled it.

Quote:
As for SM, Toei didn't pull the licenses before they expired. DIC actually had theirs extended for a year, which gave ADV time to put out their crappy uncut sets, since they sublicensed it from DIC. The licenses just expired and weren't renewed, thought in great part to be because of Takeuchi as she now has control over the franchise. Notice the manga license also was not allowed to be renewed, even though TP wanted to release it unflipped.
Thanks for clearing that up, but I still have memory that Toei was involved with pulling some of it's titles away from someone because of bad marketing, or poor sales in the recent past.
Frank0115932

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Finally, there is a God!

Al Kahn may had ruined OP, but he also ruined FFO and UM:T, and he also made another mistake by signing MDRM and MMP (2 shows that has some loli) onto its list.
In response to the guy who wants to give Jim Cramer info about this (even during the famous "Lightning Round" segment), i should say "go for it" and give a "boo-yah" while you're at it...

If you kinda forgot the VM number for Mad Money, here's CNBC's contact us link, since you can also drop a line there:
https://register.cnbc.com/email/EmailSupport.jsp.

Anyways, if the rights of OP should be bought before 4Kids gets canned and my favorite shows on 4KidsTV become canceled (and the world domination to also begin...) i suggest VIZ or Saban should gain the rights.

VIZ is known worldwide for its great dubs, and Saban made Digimon go up in the fanbase for 3 years (and giving MCK some good fixes and fillers, with the main storyline also great, and the voice acting giving the Emeril touch "Bam!").

--The FZ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ishida-kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Ishida-kun wrote:

Buying the real thing.......I take it you also know Japanese for this? Or do you also get scanlations?

Brothers know Japanese and are One Piece fans. I'm really into BLEACH, Yu Yu Hakusho and Eyeshield 21.
Ishida-kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anybody's gonna wanna mess with a Tv flop for a while unless they are really sure they can clean up the mess it left in Toonami viewer's minds. Viz are busy with Naruto,BLEACH,POT and Mar,they likely don't have time or money to gamble on Luffy and the straw hats. FUNimation have been getting a lot of 26 episode crap and really need something with actual depth and length. If they wanna get short series then hurry up and get Ichigo 100%. Also,don't forget that Toei CAN get Ilimatoon to release One Piece uncut like they are with Bobobobobobobo.

The most likely situation is that One Piece should just stay in Japan like Eyeshield 21 and be watched on the net by American's. Like Eyeshield 21 it's got a very unanime feel that the kiddies and newbs just don't click with.

Why bring something to America if you "have to" edit the life out of it to where it looks like something a group of 3rd graders made as a homework project.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Frank0115932 wrote:
Al Kahn may had ruined OP, but he also ruined FFO and UM:T, and he also made another mistake by signing MDRM and MMP (2 shows that has some loli) onto its list.

Yeah i heard HGT was GTRB with MRMRMR and &EWFGJIASF jesus is it so hard to type names of shows PLEASE.

Quote:
In response to the guy who wants to give Jim Cramer info about this (even during the famous "Lightning Round" segment), i should say "go for it" and give a "boo-yah" while you're at it...

He won't do it and on top of it all no one actually cares about what he says. Do it, though.

Quote:
Anyways, if the rights of OP should be bought before 4Kids gets canned and my favorite shows on 4KidsTV become canceled (and the world domination to also begin...) i suggest VIZ or Saban should gain the rights.

This paragraph really summarises why you're honestly not thinking very straight or are several years behind. Viz currently does have home video rights to OP, but it's still sublicensed from 4Kids who, regardless of bankruptcy, will have the show till 2009 (and in a bizzare twist of fate will probably renew the license, just wait for it). Saban doesn't exist anymore since they were incorperated into ABC/Disney/Whatever. And have you looked at Saban's Catalouge for Anime? Sure, it's a tasteful selection, and Samurai Pizza Cats is a noteworthy adaptation, but the rest are basically, sans rap, the same shit that One Piece was- stupidly adapted, badly edited, badly voiced. So you'd want a slightly less retarded, but still retarded, One Piece?

Quote:
VIZ is known worldwide for its great dubs,

er?

Quote:
and Saban made Digimon go up in the fanbase for 3 years (and giving MCK some good fixes and fillers, with the main storyline also great, and the voice acting giving the Emeril touch "Bam!").

Digimon made Digimon go "up in the fanbase for 3 years etc etc", Saban simply handled it appropriatly. If it were shit on a stick, Saban wouldn't be able to make it go anywhere.

This is the problem with 4Kids and One Piece. Yes, 4Kids shot themselves in the foot by doing stupid edits, demeaning their audience and generally doing stupid things like 4Kids.TV instead of CN or whatever. What people don't understand though is that One Piece, from a western market perspective, is an incredibly weird show. It's not like DBZ or Naruto, where the designs are fairly clean-cut and abilities and such fall in to the norm. It's about a rubber boy fighting mutant clowns, gods and walking fish with a chef, a samurai, a walking midget reindeer doctor, Bart Simpson with an elongated nose and a bunch of sluts. It doesn't have that sort of child-epic feel to it, no does it have more 'normal' powers (Shoots fire from his mouth and fires Bees and stuff!).

This helped One Piece well, not succeed aswell. One Piece, as well as Gundam Seed and Detective Conan, enjoy/enjoyed massive success in Japan, because Japan has had the luxury and benefit of fourty years of specially tailored cartoons with an evolving, socially-detached fanbase and kids. Gundam Seed was a success because people have had 20 or more years of Gundam, and this was another notch on the belt. Detective Conan has themes that normally do not carry over for the same western market, and unfortunantly you cannot avoid that. And One Piece, well, same reasons I mentioned above.

Last edited by Steventheeunuch on Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Ishida-kun wrote:
they likely don't have time or money to gamble on Luffy and the straw hats.

They would, but it wouldn't nessecerally go as fast as people would want.

Quote:
FUNimation have been getting a lot of 26 episode crap and really need something with actual depth and length.

Detective Conan is still running. Kodocha is 102 episodes. They haven't done a proper DBZ release. Face it, longer series are pretty expensive to get and to get adequate returns, you need appropriatly expensive advertising, marketting and exposure. No series in Japan ready for licensing will get this much.

Quote:
If they wanna get short series then hurry up and get Ichigo 100%. Also,don't forget that Toei CAN get Ilimatoon to release One Piece uncut like they are with Bobobobobobobo.

No I'd like less shitty harem fanservice schoolgirl pervert crap if that's okay. Toei could, but they probably won't want to, considering not much, if not none, of One Piece has an uncut dub or any uncut materials to work from. Bobobobo bobobo already has, from what I can tell, material to make uncut DVDs.

The most likely situation is that One Piece should just stay in Japan like Eyeshield 21 and be watched on the net by American's. Like Eyeshield 21 it's got a very unanime feel that the kiddies and newbs just don't click with.

Why bring something to America if you "have to" edit the life out of it to where it looks like something a group of 3rd graders made as a homework project.[/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12