• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Times Anime Went Full Halloween

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
Jessica winning in a landslide? How shocking.

New poll basically amounts to which child would you save from the Nazis.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
I went into the article expecting that the Dirty Pair OAV Halloween Party would be forgotten. Smile
(Even though Kei & Yuri make the Japanese cultural joke about not having the faintest clue what Halloween is about.)

The Maison Ikkoku episode where Kyoko and Godai help out with the kids' haunted-forest, and both get stuck in the well, is more of an August episode, and doesn't count.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
I watched the Cowboy Bebop movie last night/this morning as part of my usual Halloween tradition. Man does that movie hold up. Still the best hand-to-hand combat I've ever seen in anime when Spike takes on Vincent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
The Sgt. Frog manga had a Halloween story with Tamama being an enthusiastic trick-or-treater. Actually, the Halloween part may have just been the opening to a story.
Did that make it into the anime? I would not know because I have seen only the relatively small percentage of the show that Funimation published.

That Haruhi-chan episode was great. I especially liked Nagato advising Mikuru on how to carve the pumpkin.

That Dirty Pair episode was the first thing that I thought of when I saw the title of this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hehaho1830

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
So why the heck isn't Soul Eater #1 on this list? Heck, you didn't even mention it! I mean, if we're going to talk about a show that went full Halloween, all the time, then it should be king!

In other news, I just had the best Halloween costume Idea! Going as that Anti-Tank guy from Pumpkin Scissors... was the anti-tank Invisible 9 unit the 901 or the 903? I can't remember...
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Hehaho1830 wrote:
... was the anti-tank Invisible 9 unit the 901 or the 903? I can't remember...

901 per:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_Scissors#The_Invisible_9

If you are in the US or Canada, you also refresh your memories by viewing the series again:
http://www.funimation.com/shows/pumpkin-scissors/videos/episodes
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
There's also the Hamtaro Halloween special.

Wish somebody would re-release that show.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Sure, Soul Eater never had an actual Halloween episode but, that's like saying "Oh Nightmare Before Christmas isn't a real Halloween movie even though most of the characters live inside Halloweentown". The atmosphere screams spooky, colorful American style Halloween with every classic Hollywood monster imaginable along with witches, spells, and Lord Death himself! Plus, what's scarier than this creepier?

varmintx wrote:

New poll basically amounts to which child would you save from the Nazis.

Actually, that sounds easier if there was a child you honestly couldn't stand. Laughing

Even if you don't like a specific Satoshi Kon work, none of them are outright bad or mediocre and I never heard some say that hated anything from Kon.

I purchased the Dark Horse release of The Art of Satoshi Kon that had artworks of two unfinished animation projects included: the infamous Dream Machine film and a four episode OVA called Phantom. No doubt these two would have been included in Kon's grand legacy but, if I had to choose only three works....Millennium Actress followed very closely to Magnetic Rose and Paranoia Agent.
maoyen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't the last episode of Blood Blockade Battlefront take place on Halloween?
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Although technically not a Halloween episode, the first season of Sailor Moon featured an episode (#20, I think) where the girls are guests in an eerie mansion staffed by characters dressed like classic Universal monsters.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
One of the final chapters of Barasui's Ichigo Mashimaro/Strawberry Marshmallow manga before he went on hiatus in 2012 featured Matsuri and Ana showing up in costume at Nobue and Chika Itou's house and saying "Trick or Treat" in English, with Miu Matsuoka trying to parse the mysterious words to try to figure out what they mean only to think of puns that don't really translate well (so the French-language version just uses different puns like "tricot truite", which translates to English as "knitted trout").

It's a fairly short chapter so it would probably merit, at most, a 10-minute episode segment should they ever make at least a third Strawberry Marshmallow OVA series, if not a second season of the TV series (pipe dream).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
The entire anime Tweeny Witches could be considered Halloween-esque since the entire show revolves around witches. And has an overall halloween vibe and aesthetic.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Hehaho1830 wrote:
So why the heck isn't Soul Eater #1 on this list? Heck, you didn't even mention it! I mean, if we're going to talk about a show that went full Halloween, all the time, then it should be king!

No kidding. Any one episode of Soul Eater has more Halloween in it than all of these combined. Just watch (ANN forum member) Hagaren Viper's This is Halloween AMV if you need convincing.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
The entire anime Tweeny Witches could be considered Halloween-esque since the entire show revolves around witches. And has an overall halloween vibe and aesthetic.

Definitely. The entire world they inhabit has that sort of Jack-o-Lantern and orange/black/purple/green thing.

For the poll, I voted for Bianca and maybe Manya too? I think it allowed two? Either way, I've never played the DQ games but I sure feel like I've learned a bunch just from reading dozens upon dozens of doujinshi. Toriyama lays out a great character design template that allows other artists to project their tweaks upon, really makes for a nice experience too see how close and yet different they can make it.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Umineko Episode 2: Turn of the Golden Witch has a Halloween party.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3