• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Neverending Debate over the End of Naruto

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
totherpage95

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Not even going to touch this again. Kind of already said my piece on the Kishi interview. Let's just say Hinata/Naruto is one of the WORST developed pairings I've seen and is a huge disappointment for one who actually rooted for the pair at one point. I see this article as a rather baseless defense of poor writing because "ACTION manga means you can't do romance at all!" and really the pairing didn't even make sense until Kishi needlessly killed off Neji to force them together. No to mention.............(grabs pills).......................nevermind Confused

the last didn't even use that moment with neji Laughing why
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
totherpage95 wrote:

the last didn't even use that moment with neji Laughing why

Because someone likes "screwing" Neji to the wall.
Kyiba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I am one of those people who think NaruSasu makes more sense than 80%+ of the pairings that ended up canon in the end, but I can look past this. What I will never get over is Sasuke ending up with Sakura at the end. It's the absolute worst pairing I've ever seen happen in an anime. It just proves how desperate and stupid Sakura is to get with a guy that doesn't even love her. I would have even looked past them having one night together, which resulted in Salad, but actually getting married? Not everyone has to get married at the end Kishi. That's just bad writing.

Typical raging yaoi fans, they ignore Sasuke relationship with Sakura but think Sasunaru makes more senseDo tell , how could a ship which lacks Mutual development much less a development in their friendship be better than a ship which hassurpassed more than that.The only complaint you keep saying is that Sasuke doesn't love Sakura when you had ignored Sasuke's thoughts and conversation for Sakura (even in 693).But magically you think it existed for Naruto .
Lol
Kyiba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
The weird thing is, Naruto and Hinata is the one couple that makes sense the most out of all of the people who end up together, poorly developed as it was.

Sai complimented Ino once. Now they're married. Sai is completely socially inept, so the fact that Ino never realized that this compliment meant nothing speaks volumes for her stupidity.

Don't get me started on all the horrible, horrible things Sasuke did and how Sakura deserves to die alone and afraid. Sasuke never, EVER, even before defecting, showed any interest in Sakura. Sakura, by all accounts, seemed to have gotten over Sasuke by the time the final arc began. This pairing was the most forced by far.

Temari and Shikamaru... this one could have worked if Kishimoto hinted at it a bit more, but the fact is, there wasn't a single scene where the two have shown any romantic interest in each other. The only times they were together were on village business.

I dunno if the shounen genre is really guaranteed to have bad romance, but this didn't need to be romance. Kishimoto just had to show the characters play off of each other somewhat and it would have been a respectable attempt. Instead, Kishimoto just assumes that if you're a guy and a girl likes you, you'll probably get married to her regardless of circumstance, a lack of attraction to the woman in question, and even regardless of whether or not you know the woman well. Sasuke loathed Sakura. Sai never thought anything of Ino. Shikamaru found Temari to be... who knows, but Kishimoto dropped zero hints, so I don't think he knew until the epilogue!

I bet if Jiraiya was alive, the epilogue would have him suddenly propose to Tsunade because the two of them interacted with what could vaguely be interpreted as sexual tension.

I'm not a shipper in any sense. My problem isn't that "Sasuke would be better with Karin" or "Temari would be better with Kiba" or whatever. My problem is that none of these pairings make sense in execution. In theory, they could work.

Naruhina happened due to Naruto maturing, then again people continue to ignore Naruto saying "he doesn't understand a woman's feelings".The Last pushes a mature Naruto to understand Hinata's feelings though some fans who lack understanding looks at it the wrong direction.
You ignore the Ino tsukyomi, where you know she COULD have Sasuke for herself, instead it's a big brawl between Sai and Sasuke over dating Ino.Which if anybody can see this means Sai has been talking to Ino more than once.
Sasuke showed alot interest in Sakura from the waves arc , to the chunin arc to the Gaara arc to the hospital scene where Sasuke has shown gratitude and care for Sakura.Sakura already shown that she had loved Sasuke in mature way and NOT in some.childish crush as many people who insult her character see it as.Its forced to some who ignores their moments or have terrible reading comprehension. In regards Sakura's love for Sasuke reminded him of his entire family (693) .Not to mention Sakura got that far with Sasuke without the help of Itachi (looking at Naruto).
Shikatema like Asuma and Kurenai happened due to reasons of them being too close.Those who su spectacular this were always on target.Nor surprise there.
Shounen always isn't in the romance department, thought it's projection of romance are always hinted by a close interactions between characters.
Jiraya doesn't love Tsunade! He knows Tsunade's heart belongs to another man and wouldn't force his personal morals on her in return for sexual or romantic favours.How bad are your comprehension in understanding the basic of common human analysis.
None of these pairings make sense, though the guy who writes the story gave no crap about what you think and tells you to deal with it.Maybe brush up on your reading skills next time you wanna read anot her manga.God forbid the ones you misinterpret.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
Kyiba wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
The weird thing is, Naruto and Hinata is the one couple that makes sense the most out of all of the people who end up together, poorly developed as it was.

Sai complimented Ino once. Now they're married. Sai is completely socially inept, so the fact that Ino never realized that this compliment meant nothing speaks volumes for her stupidity.

Don't get me started on all the horrible, horrible things Sasuke did and how Sakura deserves to die alone and afraid. Sasuke never, EVER, even before defecting, showed any interest in Sakura. Sakura, by all accounts, seemed to have gotten over Sasuke by the time the final arc began. This pairing was the most forced by far.

Temari and Shikamaru... this one could have worked if Kishimoto hinted at it a bit more, but the fact is, there wasn't a single scene where the two have shown any romantic interest in each other. The only times they were together were on village business.

I dunno if the shounen genre is really guaranteed to have bad romance, but this didn't need to be romance. Kishimoto just had to show the characters play off of each other somewhat and it would have been a respectable attempt. Instead, Kishimoto just assumes that if you're a guy and a girl likes you, you'll probably get married to her regardless of circumstance, a lack of attraction to the woman in question, and even regardless of whether or not you know the woman well. Sasuke loathed Sakura. Sai never thought anything of Ino. Shikamaru found Temari to be... who knows, but Kishimoto dropped zero hints, so I don't think he knew until the epilogue!

I bet if Jiraiya was alive, the epilogue would have him suddenly propose to Tsunade because the two of them interacted with what could vaguely be interpreted as sexual tension.

I'm not a shipper in any sense. My problem isn't that "Sasuke would be better with Karin" or "Temari would be better with Kiba" or whatever. My problem is that none of these pairings make sense in execution. In theory, they could work.

Naruhina happened due to Naruto maturing, then again people continue to ignore Naruto saying "he doesn't understand a woman's feelings".The Last pushes a mature Naruto to understand Hinata's feelings though some fans who lack understanding looks at it the wrong direction.
You ignore the Ino tsukyomi, where you know she COULD have Sasuke for herself, instead it's a big brawl between Sai and Sasuke over dating Ino.Which if anybody can see this means Sai has been talking to Ino more than once.
Sasuke showed alot interest in Sakura from the waves arc , to the chunin arc to the Gaara arc to the hospital scene where Sasuke has shown gratitude and care for Sakura.Sakura already shown that she had loved Sasuke in mature way and NOT in some.childish crush as many people who insult her character see it as.Its forced to some who ignores their moments or have terrible reading comprehension. In regards Sakura's love for Sasuke reminded him of his entire family (693) .Not to mention Sakura got that far with Sasuke without the help of Itachi (looking at Naruto).
Shikatema like Asuma and Kurenai happened due to reasons of them being too close.Those who su spectacular this were always on target.Nor surprise there.
Shounen always isn't in the romance department, thought it's projection of romance are always hinted by a close interactions between characters.
Jiraya doesn't love Tsunade! He knows Tsunade's heart belongs to another man and wouldn't force his personal morals on her in return for sexual or romantic favours.How bad are your comprehension in understanding the basic of common human analysis.
None of these pairings make sense, though the guy who writes the story gave no crap about what you think and tells you to deal with it.Maybe brush up on your reading skills next time you wanna read anot her manga.God forbid the ones you misinterpret.

All of these are just things you "interpreted" and by that I mean, you took it a certain way, rejecting my reality for your own. I won't bother pointing out all the things wrong with it, so I'll just bold them.
Kyiba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

All of these are just things you "interpreted" and by that I mean, you took it a certain way, rejecting my reality for your own. I won't bother pointing out all the things wrong with it, so I'll just bold them.

OH great now everything is an interpretation because you refuse to read the manga and acknowledge the respective characters traits.There is no own reality, this is a work of fiction, the character are already drawn and written for your entertainment yet you fail at seeing that?
Scenariou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
i'm a neutral fan and i can say from my perspective that naruto and sakura should have been end game. i can see where a lot of people are coming from. the ending was utterly a disappointment. all the pairings happened out of the blue for the sake of having children for potential sequels. there is nothing in the manga to suggests that naruto was into hinata, it was too one sided. there was not enough screentime between them. The Last made absolutely no sense, it's like it was made in the last minute to make naruhina happen and they went overboard with the romance even though naruto is a shonen manga, that's why it was terrible. sakura and sasuke is even worse, but at the very least i can say they made more sense than naruhina, but still shouldn't have happened. everything is messed up about the ending, kaguya arc was a mess and final battle was a mess, but nothing is more messed up than chapter 700 and the last.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Kyiba wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

OH great now everything is an interpretation because you refuse to read the manga and acknowledge the respective characters traits.There is no own reality, this is a work of fiction, the character are already drawn and written for your entertainment yet you fail at seeing that?

Fine. Lets step away from Naruto for a second. If you think that the author's intent is truly the be all end all, I should explain my stance.

Using Future Diary, or Mirai Nikki as an example. An anime that I loathe. We're supposed to view Yukiteru as a scared kid or a troubled anti-hero. Even when he's slaughtering orphans or his own friends, it's okay because he justifies it with "I can bring them back after I win." When he shoots his friends out of grief for telling him that he can't bring people back from the dead after becoming god, the author does this to show that he's emotionally unstable, but pitiful. Poor Yuki.

The way I see it? Yukiteru Amano is a horrible monster who would kill anyone and anything with the promise that he could just bring them back. Once he finds out he can't bring people back, he kills the messengers. This is a despicable psychopath in the skin of an anxious teenager. The author clearly wants me to root for him, but unlike Light Yagami, who the story portrays as misled and self-righteous, the narrative of Future Diary seems to support the protagonist's actions no matter what. It thinks Yukiteru is Kiritsugu Emiya, but really, he's one of those psychos who would slaughter his whole circle of friends if someone told him that it'd get him a big ol' prize.

Is audience interpretation really so pointless? In my mind, Tobito (yes, that's what I call him) is an unsympathetic idiot who clings to the past and should have gotten over it. Given his backstory, he has the means to become a sympathetic villain, but given his previous personality, he shouldn't have sunken into darkness. I think antihero status would have made sense, but Kishimoto just wanted the big twist of Obito being the bad guy. His last minute redemption felt unreal, and the fact that he dies shortly afterward was eye rollingly predictable.
Kyiba

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Fine. Lets step away from Naruto for a second. If you think that the author's intent is truly the be all end all, I should explain my stance.

Using Future Diary, or Mirai Nikki as an example. An anime that I loathe. We're supposed to view Yukiteru as a scared kid or a troubled anti-hero. Even when he's slaughtering orphans or his own friends, it's okay because he justifies it with "I can bring them back after I win." When he shoots his friends out of grief for telling him that he can't bring people back from the dead after becoming god, the author does this to show that he's emotionally unstable, but pitiful. Poor Yuki.

The way I see it? Yukiteru Amano is a horrible monster who would kill anyone and anything with the promise that he could just bring them back. Once he finds out he can't bring people back, he kills the messengers. This is a despicable psychopath in the skin of an anxious teenager. The author clearly wants me to root for him, but unlike Light Yagami, who the story portrays as misled and self-righteous, the narrative of Future Diary seems to support the protagonist's actions no matter what. It thinks Yukiteru is Kiritsugu Emiya, but really, he's one of those psychos who would slaughter his whole circle of friends if someone told him that it'd get him a big ol' prize.

Is audience interpretation really so pointless? In my mind, Tobito (yes, that's what I call him) is an unsympathetic idiot who clings to the past and should have gotten over it. Given his backstory, he has the means to become a sympathetic villain, but given his previous personality, he shouldn't have sunken into darkness. I think antihero status would have made sense, but Kishimoto just wanted the big twist of Obito being the bad guy. His last minute redemption felt unreal, and the fact that he dies shortly afterward was eye rollingly predictable.

OK, discuss this, who is the hero of the series? Naruto? HA fat chance, the truth is there hardly any villains in this series.If you consider Obito a villain then you are clearly whitewashing Konoha as so "goody" .Why when Konoha has commited more crimes against other than the Akatsuki and not to say the Akatsuki worked for the Mizukage ane did work for the Tsuchikage and I'm sure that doesn't count the member s of Akatsuki as the bad guys as well.But I guess you would since they are "not konoha".
As kishimoto given praise to Konoha for being the all goody of the villages. HA no.In the manga Kishimoto had made clear that Konoha is in no way the good guys since they had 1) mistreated Jinchuurikis, 2) Raid and infiltrated other villages causing many casulaities 3) even though other villages have been in 1 or 2 wars, Konoha has been in all 3 of them.Even in the manga had Konoha been given no praise by other Kages/Shinobis whi had rivaled them in the past.Kishimotois basically showing that Konoha isnt perfect but fans are whitewashing to makes non Konoha ninjas the villains.The whole subject behind what Naruto was trying to change was hatred between villages , so in short there really wasn't any villains.
totherpage95

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Kyiba wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

OK, discuss this, who is the hero of the series? Naruto? HA fat chance, the truth is there hardly any villains in this series.If you consider Obito a villain then you are clearly whitewashing Konoha as so "goody" .Why when Konoha has commited more crimes against other than the Akatsuki and not to say the Akatsuki worked for the Mizukage ane did work for the Tsuchikage and I'm sure that doesn't count the member s of Akatsuki as the bad guys as well.But I guess you would since they are "not konoha".
As kishimoto given praise to Konoha for being the all goody of the villages. HA no.In the manga Kishimoto had made clear that Konoha is in no way the good guys since they had 1) mistreated Jinchuurikis, 2) Raid and infiltrated other villages causing many casulaities 3) even though other villages have been in 1 or 2 wars, Konoha has been in all 3 of them.Even in the manga had Konoha been given no praise by other Kages/Shinobis whi had rivaled them in the past.Kishimotois basically showing that Konoha isnt perfect but fans are whitewashing to makes non Konoha ninjas the villains.The whole subject behind what Naruto was trying to change was hatred between villages , so in short there really wasn't any villains.

weren't all the villains leaf ninja though
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Jesus... you're right! Barring Zabuza, and the Sand Village during the Chunin Exam (being manipulated by Orochimaru anyway), all primary antagonists are Leaf Village Ninja! I never noticed.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Out of all the main characters, Yukiteru Amano was the best character of the bunch. He was the only one who didn't choose to join the murder game. It was forced on him, while all the others joined, fully knowing what they had to do. The only reason he survived was because of Yuni's obsessive love.

Really, what average school kid is going to handle multiple psychotic assassins, multiple betrayals (including family), children and adults dying all around him, and having to depend on an insane psychotic girlfriend to survive without losing some of his sanity also.

On the other hand, Sasuke Uchiha has more in common with Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. Sasuke and Anakin both went to the dark side due to the promise of more power.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
On the other hand, Sasuke Uchiha has more in common with Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. Sasuke and Anakin both went to the dark side due to the promise of more power.

Both are s**t characters though, and I can't believe that there are adults that relate with these archetypes. Not even when I was a teenager did I find any plausible justification for painting Sassy-kay as anything other than garbage.

And on a related note, almost every character in Naruto was s**t except for a handful that were at the peak of their relevance during the first Naruto.
totherpage95

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Both are s**t characters though, and I can't believe that there are adults that relate with these archetypes. Not even when I was a teenager did I find any plausible justification for painting Sassy-kay as anything other than garbage.

And on a related note, almost every character in Naruto was s**t except for a handful that were at the peak of their relevance during the first Naruto.

i related a lot with this archetype actually. for example a character that has "good" in him despite being a asshole on the surface was a description of my own father Laughing

ps. why do i feel like valuing the first naruto over shippuden is turning into the new prequel and original star wars seperation that fans have. "i hate the prequels" "naruto part 1 was the only good part". makes me feel like these people want uncompleted stories as weird as that may be
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I feel like I've seen better versions of the ol' "dark stuff makes you bad" turn. Even if we're just talking anime, I'd say my favorites of this would be Lelouch (not saying he's brilliantly written or anything, just that I enjoy him), Kiritsugu (they were clearly going for this, but in a more anti-hero way), and The Count from Gankutsuou. In particular, The Count is what Kishimoto keeps trying to make Sasuke. An amazing character driven by revenge to the point that he forgets his morals. Why is it that Sasuke never killed any good people, but The Count intentionally leads to several being poisoned, raped or nearly raped, arrested, killed, etc. and remains wholly likable throughout?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16