• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"The Biggest Attack on Titan Manga Announcement Ever" Part I

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
*Yawn* Here I thought it might be something exciting. But no. Sorry, but I can't care. I read manga and not American mainstream comics because American mainstream comics are like the opposite of what I like, 99 percent of the time. I wish American comics were more like manga, not the other way around.

I mean, in Japan, manga isn't a niche thing, it's widely published and sold everywhere, it has a huge variety, spanning just about every genre, it has wide appeal. American comic writers are stuck writing the same characters over and over in an extremely corporatized controlled system. Ew.

Maybe this is cool for those who actually like both, but I don't think there's that many of those, and I can't imagine those people who actually read American stuff and don't read Attack on Titan would care that much either.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
The hype is real.

I like Attack on Titan, but there seems to be so much media about it with very little substance.

I thought the side-story manga volumes were good and I would like to see more of that. Branching off stories from the main plot. What else in going on in that world that readers are seeing in the main story?
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a cool concept! I'm not really a fan of AoT or American comics, but I could definitely seeing this working to bring in new readers. It could serve as a nice bridge or American readers into the world of manga.

meruru wrote:
Maybe this is cool for those who actually like both, but I don't think there's that many of those, and I can't imagine those people who actually read American stuff and don't read Attack on Titan would care that much either.

Not true. I know LOTS of people who are actively involved in both communities. There's a lot of overlap between comic and manga fans. And I'd imagine American comic readers could REALLY enjoy a well done spin-off of say, Batman taking down a titan, or what have you. Like I said before, i'm not a fan of either, so I can't really speak on their likes/dislikes, but I could see this working out very well if done right. At the very least, those that enjoy both media could use this work as a stepping stone to get their comic friends into manga, and vice versa.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
While I have zero interest in American comic books... what the hell is Spider-Man going to do against titans?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
While I have zero interest in American comic books... what the hell is Spider-Man going to do against titans?

Spider-Man is basically a guy with a built-in 3d-movement gear, 10-ton class strength, and limited precognition powers. He's almost a titan's natural enemy!

And I'm excited for this! So many great writers and artists! This is going to be great!

meruru wrote:

I mean, in Japan, manga isn't a niche thing, it's widely published and sold everywhere, it has a huge variety, spanning just about every genre, it has wide appeal. American comic writers are stuck writing the same characters over and over in an extremely corporatized controlled system. Ew.

I'd argue that american comics, heck , even american super-hero comics, are more diverse and creative now than they've ever been (though we've still got a LONG way to go). We're currently living in a new creative nadir if you ask me.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Spider-Man is basically a guy with a built-in 3d-movement gear, 10-ton class strength, and limited precognition powers. He's almost a titan's natural enemy!

But how's he gonna kill them? I guess he could rip their heads off...
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

But how's he gonna kill them? I guess he could rip their heads off...

Trip them and then drop a car on the back of their neck?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Would just crushing the nape be enough, or do you have to remove it completely?
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I like attack on Titan but am not fond of American comics, although if they decide to have a one punch man, attack on Titan, and marvel crossover that would actually be more interesting.
I wonder who could win iron man or genos? Confused
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:

For starters while yes manga is more widespread in Japan in terms of distribution and acceptance I think you under estimate the popularity and growing acceptance of American comics/graphic novels. More than ever American comics are growing in the more mainstream media and becoming more accepted. We have more and more tv shows and movies being produced every year based on an American comic/graphic novel source material. So while yes manga is more widespread overall in Japan American comics are gaining more acceptance and distribution every year.

You are dead wrong however on American comics not having wide appeal and not covering multiple genres. To me it seems you are focusing on typical DC and Marvel superhero comics with that statement. Yes the 2 big boys in American comic companies are more of a corporate setting and more monotonous with their offerings in terms of genres. As are other companies who release the traditional super hero genre comic. However, once you go past those 2 big companies there is a plethora of other offerings from medium to small sized companies. More and more diverse offerings popping up each year. You just have to often look past traditional DC and Marvel superhero comics (though even some of those, like the new MS Marvel, are pretty good). Quality offerings mind you, not just garbage. Check out stuff like Black Science, The Wicked and The Divine, Saga, Preacher, Survival, Low, Soulfire, The Last Man, Criminal, The Fade Out, Hack & Slash, Ultra :Seven Days, Sunstone, Fables, Watchmen, Hell Boy, Hellblazer, Wytches, Deadly Class, or Alex & Ada. Check out any of those and then try and say American Comics are all part of the same monotonous corporate system.

meruru wrote:

I think once again you're jumping to conclusions. I think there are far more fans who like both sets of offerings than you realize.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
American comic writers are stuck writing the same characters over and over in an extremely corporatized controlled system. Ew.

But they change the sexes and ethnicities now! They're so progressive and innovative!
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I also said mainstream comics, meaning those mostly superhero comics that are most published. I'm aware of indie American comics and American webcomics which I do enjoy and have great appreciation for. I still see American mainstream comic publishers such as Marvel and DC being really inconsistent, and also often marginalizing. I don't really want to talk about the counter examples that I'm sure exist, because we could surely be arguing all day though.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
meruru wrote:
American comic writers are stuck writing the same characters over and over in an extremely corporatized controlled system. Ew.

But they change the sexes and ethnicities now! They're so progressive and innovative!

You joke, but I honestly think it's starting to become true, and for the first time in over a decade I'm becoming less and less embarrassed to be a comics fan.

You also left on out costumes! Better and more female friendly costumes! Even purveyors of cheesecake like Dyanmite Publishing are getting in on the act
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
No matter how the stories turn out, the examples in the article have me enthusiastic about seeing the artwork.
Vennex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
"The biggest attack on titan manga dissapointment ever"

That's how I now read the title of this article. I can see how some can get excited for this but I am sadly not one of them. American comics bore me to no end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4