• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't I Find Anime Comedies Funny?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I should also point out that Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma is definitely a merchandiseable series. It's got characters who can be made into figurines, or pillows, with personality quirks that can translate well to Weiss Schwartz (I think that's the name of the card game, and there already is a Soma set), and if video games could be made out of Assassination Classroom, they can be made out of Soma.

There's a reason why there aren't a lot of anime about old people or fat people or old fat people or something: They're difficult to merchandise. Something like Toriko, while it does well as a manga (though perhaps not as well as it used to), has a few characters who can make for figurines, but its fanservice is nonexistent (it literally is), and Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro's monster design predominantly leans towards the detailed and grotesque. From what I heard, the Toriko anime bombed. I don't know if it's because the ratings were low or if it's because it was deemed difficult to merchandise.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how I missed this when this first came up. I find the subject fascinating and have put a lot of thought into it.

First, yes, humor is subjective- but that's a very minor aspect of the issue.

The basic difference between most Japanese humor and American (and most Western) humor really is cultural and has to do with the difference between Japan's "Shame Society" (Cultural anthropology term- not slinging mud) and the West's (especially the U.S.'s) "Guilt Society."

It's the big reason why much of Japan really doesn't get sarcasm- sarcasm is a personal insult- it's not something you do. The western humor we are so used to is practically built on personal insults and the most "American" humor is about showing horrible people being horrible and taking enjoyment out of it.

Once you hone in on this idea you notice that Japanese humor makes much more fun of behavior than western humor. The humor is about what the person is doing, not who the character IS.
THIS can actually be a bit uncomfortable to a westerner's sensibility because the focus in a guilt society is so much more focused on acting the right way, behaving in accepted fashion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:20 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:

One case of a manga satire that is a masterpiece of satire is in my opinion, One Punch Man, a brilliant satire of the superhero genre, easily superior to any Western satire I ever experienced

There are quite a lot of American comics that serve as Superhero satire and/or commentary.

The Boys and Watchmen are the first to mind.

I guess Deadpool could be considered satire too
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Yes, he's definitely satire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8