• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't I Find Anime Comedies Funny?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
Ever hear of a thing called cultural relativism? I find your statement outright insulting. Just because their culture and by extension, their average sense of humor is different, does not make it "primitive" or "outdated." Try not measuring everyone by your own cultural standards for a change.

I'm sorry, when most of the developed world experienced and moved away from this type of humor very long time ago it is indeed outdated and primitive.
Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The best way to enjoy comedy anime is to watch them dubbed, imo. Dubbing (if well done) can make the dialogue seem more natural and the jokes funnier. I enjoyed D-frag! dubbed, but when I tried the subs I suddenly stopped laughing altogether, for example.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
2) A general fondness for a character to shout the explanation for why a situation is funny. This one especially is why I don't watch Gintama. I flatter myself that I'm not so dumb that I need someone to tell me why something is funny before I can laugh, thank you.

This is essentially the basis for all tsukkomi humor. And while Gintama owns and frequently subverts this routine, it can be found - to an extent - in almost any anime comedy. I don't think most viewers need the jokes spelled out for them - rather, they're supposed to derive amusement from the straight-man's overblown reaction. Gintama actually provided me with a whole new appreciation for tsukkomi/boke gags. Still, I can totally appreciate why this type of humor isn't for everyone. I think you feel the same way about tsukkomi humor as I do about laugh tracks.

Pretty much. I mentioned Gintama specifically because, as you say, it's the series that "owns" that particular style of anime humour. Indeed Shinpachi only seems to be there to shout in some episodes (not that I've watched all that many). I don't mind the explaining thing in shows like Zetsubou Sensei where it's usually a glib remark or quick retort - or when it's used to lead into the next joke. It's the "This is/you're wrong & furthermore I'm going to loudly list exactly why this is/you're wrong in detail!" version that I find an instant buzzkill.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Completely agree a lot of anime humor is quite dry. Usually the shows with simple themes and ideas like those that dwell in the moe-art style tend to have the cheaper comedy.

That`s a great observation. Asia in general loves to do slapstick humor.

There are a few anime that are actually very funny. Such as "Devil`s A Part-timer", "Baka & Test" (Hate the characters but they are so funny!) & etc.

However, yes it is all a choice whether you think something is funny or not. I Do believe that if you see what people laugh at. It shows a sense of their character. (E.G: Laughing at 9-11, rape & etc.)

It`s just a thought of mine, really.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
meruru wrote:
Ever hear of a thing called cultural relativism? I find your statement outright insulting. Just because their culture and by extension, their average sense of humor is different, does not make it "primitive" or "outdated." Try not measuring everyone by your own cultural standards for a change.

I'm sorry, when most of the developed world experienced and moved away from this type of humor very long time ago it is indeed outdated and primitive.
Looking forward to reading your academic paper on how to factor a country's sense of humour into the Human Development Index. Besides,

MajorZero wrote:
I'm not sure if japanese audience will understand concepts of stand-up comedy or satire.

Dunno much about stand-up, but it's simply not true that there's no satire in Japan. Just looking at recent anime and manga there's Gintama, Watamote and Shimoneta. Going back further and outside the fandom realm, there's Yatta!, Yapoo and a bunch of authors who got persecuted during World War II. This mass persecution in the period immediately following a time of great variety and experimentation, combined with Japan's strict defamation laws, might explain why Japan has much less variety in satire than do western countries, or why Japan's equivalent to the Onion is a lot more tame than its US counterpart, but Japanese audiences do have experience with satire.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Looking forward to reading your academic paper on how to factor a country's sense of humour into the Human Development Index.

I don't remember calling Japan third-world country, term developed world was used in context of current political and economical situation. You would expect from a country with great technological and economical advancement like Japan to be more progressive in other spheres too, including culture.
Quote:
This mass persecution in the period immediately following a time of great variety and experimentation, combined with Japan's strict defamation laws, might explain why Japan has much less variety in satire than do western countries, or why Japan's equivalent to the Onion is a lot more tame than its US counterpart, but Japanese audiences do have experience with satire.

In other words satire pretty much niche thing over there? Draconian laws can't explain lack of variety though, at least it seems to be superficial conclusion. Plenty of countries experienced totalitarian and authoritarian regimes, how many of them degraded culturally?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's bound to be cultural disparities on any sort of comedy from any country. True, some may not understand Japanese humor, and that's alright. However, some may have a hard time grasping with British comedy, or Spanish comedy, or even Canadian comedy. If anything, some may even have a hard time being amused certain bits of American comedy every now and then but have little problem being thrilled by comedy of another culture and vice versa.

In summation, if you have problems enjoying any comedy-themed anime show, well, then perhaps they aren't for your personal taste. In the very end, which sort(s) of comedy may be funny or boring is an entirely subjective manner.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I really don't find American cartoons the least bit funny but when it comes to anime, I would agree that some series are not even the least bit humorous but there are very few series like gintama that would make anyone laugh no matter who you are.
leesahlynn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
"Dumb slice of life humor" like D-Frag and Nozaki-kun and Shimoneta are the reason I live, lol! I'm generally laughing like an idiot through the whole episode. Then there are comedies like Osamatsu-san and Gintama, I just can't get into them.

I don't think I find it as big a mystery or issue as some people in here though... o.o
AkatsukiBuzai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I can have some laughs while watching Gintama, Cromartie High School didn't even raise a smerk. To this day the one series I have watched that almost killed me (in terms of laughing) is Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo the randomness and unbelievable greatness of the dub made the show my 2nd favourite anime of all time. I just love me some random Laughing
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Edited to remove some of the heated, off-topic debate. --willag

Anyways, the guy that asked outed himself out. A casual. Why the hell would he start watching D-frag and have a good time when most of the jokes rely on secondhand otaku humor? Someone clearly didn't read the label. He likes stoner humor then he should watch stoner anime like FLCL, Inferno Cop or even JoJo.

I really disagree on the opinion that anime is confined in one specific type of humor and that it's too esoteric for the general audience. Comedy comes in all flavors and mediums and anime is just one of the latter that can present humor of all kinds. You want fart and sex jokes or black off color humor or Family Guy Style references or perhaps clever usage of language and puns? Anime's got all of it. Simplifying all anime comedies as this one alien thing the average Joe or Jane won't get is just plain wrong. If there was a college major in funny, the professor would have done a facedesk reading this and other people's "analysis" of anime comedies.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I loved me some Joshiraku, and that's one of those "you must be this Japanese to watch" shows. Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou and Seitokai Yakuindomo are also ones I always get a laugh out of, but your tolerance for humor will always be different than someone else.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Humor is subjective but a ton of anime is just plain not funny. There are many incenstuous otaku-culture jokes which are not funny but anime insists on using. Like the "hilarious" one where the MC walking in one the main girl while she's changing. This joke stopped being funny the second time it was used yet I see it in so many goddamn anime and I don't even roll my eyes at this point, I just shake my head. Count boob jokes and "haha he's a puerile pervert, ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS" stuff in there too. That shit is not funny unless you are 12 but by god it shows up everywhere.

Humor is a beneign betrayal of our expectations. If your "joke" has been done a million times before and the viewer can see it coming from a light year away it's not gonna be funny.

Anime, especially the more otaku-stuff, also is really bad with kairos. Oftentimes they'll throw in some cheap otaku humor in a completely inappropriate scene as if otaku are so shallow they'll drop a show unless it gives them some pandering book joke. Properly kairotic humor is so damn rare.

Granted, really funny anime is really goddamn funny--Nichijou, Pani Poni Dash, and Nerima Daikon Brothers are perfect examples of this. So it's not something endemic to anime as a whole.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Humor is subjective but a ton of anime is just plain not funny. There are many incenstuous otaku-culture jokes which are not funny but anime insists on using. Like the "hilarious" one where the MC walking in one the main girl while she's changing. This joke stopped being funny the second time it was used yet I see it in so many goddamn anime and I don't even roll my eyes at this point, I just shake my head. Count boob jokes and "haha he's a puerile pervert, ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS" stuff in there too. That shit is not funny unless you are 12 but by god it shows up everywhere.

Humor is a beneign betrayal of our expectations. If your "joke" has been done a million times before and the viewer can see it coming from a light year away it's not gonna be funny.

Anime, especially the more otaku-stuff, also is really bad with kairos. Oftentimes they'll throw in some cheap otaku humor in a completely inappropriate scene as if otaku are so shallow they'll drop a show unless it gives them some pandering book joke. Properly kairotic humor is so damn rare.

Granted, really funny anime is really goddamn funny--Nichijou, Pani Poni Dash, and Nerima Daikon Brothers are perfect examples of this. So it's not something endemic to anime as a whole.

Same deal with constant references peppered ad nauseaum as in Family Guy, yet people can't get enough of them. Might sound strange, but dead horse humor is enjoyed by more people than you think. You're not in any position to declare it as unfunny.

Kairos, or delivery, is also subjective. There is no arbitrary standard as to when to deal the punchline in a joke. It could either be too late for one person or too soon for another. Unless you only hang out within your own circle, you can't really tell. This is also one of the reasons why deadpan humor is so polarizing. Interestingly enough, this is also a staple in anime comedies.

Assuming sex jokes as otaku only jokes is such a cop out misconception that it's almost as cliche as the joke itself. I guess comedies like American Pie or Porky's is strictly for the otakus to laugh about huh?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Either we both have cold, dead hearts and our souls are sour, shriveled and desiccated shadows of what they should be... or we just don't have the same tastes as many other anime fans.
In short, grown old. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8