• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NANA -- general discussion.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkitty0125

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Encyclopedia Link for NANA (TV).

This might have been asked before, but I am new on this forum. Does anyone know if the Nana (TV) series is going to come to the US? And does anyone know if Mai-Otome or Mai-Otome Zwei is going to come to the US as well? I am just curious to know and I didn't know if anyone had any information about these shows. Thank you for your help!

[EDIT: I took frentymon's advice and am turning this into a NANA general discussion thread. Please keep all discussion on topic to anything NANA including the manga, anime, or live action versions. -TK]
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
djkitty0125 wrote:
Does anyone know if the Nana (TV) series is going to come to the US?

Probably. It seems like the type of series that might do well with a US audience, so some licensor will probably pick it up eventually. However, as it has not been licensed, there's no guarentees as to when this license date will be or if it will even happen at all.

If it happens, expect it to be at least another year though.

Quote:
And does anyone know if Mai-Otome or Mai-Otome Zwei is going to come to the US as well?

Bandai has the rights to HiME, so they'll probably get Otome as well, eventually.

Anyway, for these types of really specific questions, you should make the thread title more specific too. You got my hopes up and made me think that there's finally a general discussion thread for us Nana fans to spill out all our thoughts about the show...

Maybe we could make this a general discussion thread for Nana, seeing as how we Nana fans (or me at least) have a lot to say about the show and the last thread made about Nana was back in May and had only 2 replies.
djkitty0125

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Thank you! And that is a good idea for making it into a general Nana thread. I really like the manga, so I am very interested in finding out if the TV series comes to the US. I hope so, because I have found the manga to be very good, and I can somewhat relate to the manga with my life, at times. Anyone else have any thoughts about the Nana series?
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally not into shoujo, real life type stuff, but I absolutely love NANA. The characters are so real it's painful, the story is engaging, and it's funny and heartbreaking at the same time. I started watching because my friend told me that Paku Romi voiced one of the main characters (I'll watch anything she's in, pretty much -obsessive fan-) and I just got pulled right in. I saw the live action movie, but it wasn't particularly good....

I've only read the first two volumes of the manga, but it seems like the story there was pretty much the same as it is in the anime. Does that change later on? Probably, since the manga is *really* long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
About Mai-Otome: Bandai already stated that they're in negotiations for it so I assume it'll get released late next year. I assume they'll also get the Zwei OVA while they're at it.

About NANA: It should definitely get licensed but let's all hope that Viz doesn't get it. Very Happy
Enjeru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
_it most likely will be picked up. How soon I think really depends on how Paradise Kiss does. Since Geneon is releasing the first volume this month, if it does well, then I think Geneon or someone else will pick it up a little sooner than normal.
However, there are still 16+ episodes or so left to air in Japan. So if I had to guess, I wouldnt think it would make it to the states until a year from now, maybe longer.
I would have to agree about the quality of the show. Very realistic characters, with realistic issues. I would have to say it is one of the top shows of 2006. Nana also has a great soundtrack thus far too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I haven't checked the anime version yet, but I absolutely love the manga, at this point I have a hard time deciding which I like better of Yazawa's works: this or Para Kiss, well, at least both Nana's love interests aren't as unbearable as that a-hole George who's by far my least favorite manga leading man Mad

I think the chances of this anime being licensed will depend on the popularity of the manga and how well the anime version did in Japan.
godakame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Nana is the only show that has managed to annoy me, yet at the same time be very engaging and highly addicting. I can't get enough of Nana. Don't really understand my own mentality for this liking this so much. I don't really know if like any of the characters, nor can I relate to many of them. In fact I hate people like Nana (Hachiko), but I do sympathize with her greatly. It's painful to watch her be such a super-slut.
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:15 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I haven't checked the anime version yet, but I absolutely love the manga, at this point I have a hard time deciding which I like better of Yazawa's works: this or Para Kiss, well, at least both Nana's love interests aren't as unbearable as that a-hole George who's by far my least favorite manga leading man Mad

Finally, someone else who doesn't seem to think George is "hot" and "sexy" and great. I found I couldn't get into Parakiss (anime version) because I detested him and the seiyuu for Caroline so much. I am hoping to read the manga at some point though, and I will be buying the series on R1 as I love the rest of the characters, the design, and the music.

And now onto NANA. I love NANA. It will likely end up in my top 5 favorite anime if it manages to pull off a good ending. While initially I loved Nana and thought Hachi was obnoxious, slowly I'm beginning to feel Hachi is the much more realistic character. I can truly feel her anguish. My husband pointed out that we're a lot alike. We both have major self-confidence issues, and we always assume everyone will hate us if we make the slightest slip up. We handle these feelings quite differently, but for the first time I can kind of see why some girls end up sleeping around when they have low self-esteem, rather than just avoiding human contact at all.

Then there are the other characters. Nana O. is a lot of fun when she's acting hyper, and gorgeous when she's being sultry. I love the darker side being shown to both spoiler[Shin and Reira]. Ren's just kind of a nice guy (thus far), and I love Yasu's ability to sort of be the parent to all of these mixed up kids.

And then there's Junko and her lot. They're nice to have around every so often. I prefer Junko's Place in the manga to the anime, but regardless I like having them around.

Of course, then there are the costume changes. Any show that actually doesn't have the characters in the same outfits everyday gets a few bonus points. I'm not all that into fashion, but I do prefer the realism that that gives the show. Plus there's the music. I love the song that plays when Hachi is cleaning, etc. A cheerful, fast-paced song that really fits with what she's doing.

So those are my general thoughts. Can't wait for manga 5 to come out, and for the anime to get licensed. Anime smile
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
I'm sort of upset that spoiler[we don't get to see Junko and Kyousuke as much now. I mean, they're not major characters in the series, but it seems like the only time they show up is to show everyone what Shouji's been up to since the breakup, like we all care. Or they've got those little asides talking about Hachi's love life. I know the story is sort of winding around to the Black Stones/Nana O. side of things now (they do seem to alternate O.o), but I miss seeing more of Junko and Kyousuke.]

That said, I think I'm going to start buying the manga once I budget out my convention money (if I've got any left over Razz ), and I'll definitely buy the series when (hopefully not if) it gets licensed. I just hope the ending isn't a complete disappointment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Finally, someone else who doesn't seem to think George is "hot" and "sexy" and great.

I'll join the club. There's just something about his character that really doesn't appeal to me.

Mylene wrote:
And now onto NANA. I love NANA. It will likely end up in my top 5 favorite anime if it manages to pull off a good ending.

Same here. At first, I wasn't a fan of Ai Yazawa's work. Then I read the first two chapters of NANA, and I liked the way the story was set up. Along the way, I began to see that it is a fantastic story with realistic characters.

Mylene wrote:
While initially I loved Nana and thought Hachi was obnoxious, slowly I'm beginning to feel Hachi is the much more realistic character....Nana O. is a lot of fun when she's acting hyper, and gorgeous when she's being sultry.

Hachi is definitely a character I think we all can relate to, even if we don't realize it at first. Like you said, she represents the girl without much self-confidence. However, my favorite is Nana O. I like how she affects Hachi's character in the long run.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
i first got into nana through shojo beat and love it! plus watched maybe 3 episodes.

It seemed very close with the manga so im asking someone who seen them all so far. is it?

I look up to nana O. her demeanor and personality is everythings i wanted to be. she's so strong and no nonsense with guys and cool. Im more like a hachi K. i fall in love easily and our love lives are almost the same except spoiler[ i never shagged my fave member of a band. although id love to (viga loves tony kanal of no doubt!)]

The fashion rivals that of paradise kiss from the same artist and i think its a great gateway manga/anime for girls.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:32 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:

Finally, someone else who doesn't seem to think George is "hot" and "sexy" and great.

Wow, how's George sexy? He looked more like a cross-dressing freak to me. The only guy in Para Kiss that I found mildly appealing is Tokumori, though he's not exactly my type.

Mylene wrote:
And then there's Junko and her lot. They're nice to have around every so often. I prefer Junko's Place in the manga to the anime, but regardless I like having them around.

Junko and Kyousuke are my favorite! I think they should have their own omake section in every volume to make up for their less frequent appearance in the later chapters.

As for whom of the two Nana that Iike better it's Osaki, since I could relate to since she reminds me of my current self, but Komatsu reminds me of the growth that I've gone through during my adolescence: I wasn't as social and get attracted to the next guy as her, but I too back then was super friendly -as easy to trust and gets shocked later on- and was insecure and lacked confidence in myself, so it's enjoyable for me to view the stages of growth that she's going through Smile
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote
I requested that this thread be turned into a Nana general discussion, so it's time for me to post here.

So, I started this series because I had just recently finished Hikaru no Go and wanted to (A) Find a completely opposite anime/genre to watch next, and (B) Find something that would be as addicting or near as addicting as Hikago was. I kinda wanted something shoujo and romance oriented, and since Nana was 50 episodes (promises to be somewhat of a long watch, at least) and I had heard good things about the show, I decided to give the show a shot.

I was disappointed at first. The plot didn't seem to hint at going in an interesting direction, everything seemed too coincidental, too perfect, and to be honest, I considered dropping the series right then and there. Well, I had nothing better to do after finishing the first episode, so I decided I might as well tackle the second as well and see if it would change my initial opinion of the show.

Wow. Normally I wouldn't enjoy flashbacks right out of the blue, but Episode 2 really caught my attention. spoiler[Hachi's personality is thoroughly revealed very early on through her predicament and love woes, and the "foreshadowing" scene at the beginning of the episode really caught my attention and left me sticking with all of episode 2. Surpisingly, I felt no contempt nor disgust towards Nana even though her personality quirks would easily irritate someone. Everything was so masterfully done that Nana's problems felt very real, even though if I were to examine more closely I could find all the reasons why her situation doesn't mirror real life (could probably think of some right now, but it doesn't change my enjoyment of the show). I felt really sorry for her when Asano just left her and she was left with absolutely no one, and this episode turned my opinion of the show completely around.]

Episode 3 got even better with spoiler[Hachi finally getting over the shock of Asano and finding a new caring boyfriend named Shouji. Kyousuke, voiced by one of my favorite male seiyuu Junichi Suwabe, was also an interesting character to watch because his personality (gentle) was completely different from his looks (big and mean). I liked how the episode proceeded at a lightning pace, not allowing any time for a breather and for a moment of boredom, quickly leading up to the start of Hachi and Shouji's relationship without dragging it out for any longer that it was needed. I also really liked the setting, which was made possible by the wonderful animation from Madhouse, which I had noticed only then. In any case, I was pretty darned interested in the series at this point.]

My Episode 4 got messed up so I skipped it and went to Episode 5, and in a way I was kind of glad I did, because from the descriptions from blogs (no pictures) of Episode 4 (beginning of other Nana's flashback) it was not entirely interesting (even though descriptions could make things a lot more boring than they were originally sometimes). Nevertheless, I was still sort of lost at the beginning of Episode 5, since spoiler[I never got a proper introduction to the characters on Nana's side and I didn't have too much of a clue who "the bald guy" and "the spikey haired guy" were and what exactly they were doing. By the end of Episode 5 though, it seemed to get back on track for me, as Nana's story was just as fully developed as Hachi's with the whole cast just as lively and interesting to watch, and it was fun to see problems arising from someone with a completely opposite personality from Hachi.]

Episode 6 I skipped because it was kind of a recap, and Episode 7 was a kind of a slow, slice-of-life feel episode with bits of comedy and not too much going on. spoiler[Nevertheless, due to Hachi's hyperactive personality and Nana's way of going about everything (basically because of the characters), I still really enjoyed watching the episode. Around here was when I saw the poster of Trapnest hanging near Hachi's bedside and thought, "wouldn't it be cool if Hachi and Nana met Trapnest and the series went on from there?" ]

Episodes 7-12 I don't remember entirely well, but a lot of stuff happened and I remember 12 was the point I was completely immersed in the series and couldn't stop watching. Episode 12, spoiler[The Shouji-Hachi-Sachiko thing was almost painful to watch (in a good way), and made me feel for Nana. I was really pissed off at Shouji, at how he could do such a thing to Nana, but after finishing the next episode and hearing what Jun had to say, I changed my mind a bit. I guess this was a necessary plot event to forward the story so Nana can get more involved romantically with the "band members" (Blast or Trapnest) and the story can proceed completely in that direction. Nobu I found to be a really likeable character as always, and the new guy Shin was just like no other character I'd seen before. The way he'd just casually "visit" random girls' houses, how he's so casual about everything, how his serious side really shows that he cares, and how responsible yet irresponsible he is at fifteen made him another unique and great character to add to the cast. I kind of wanted to see Shouji and see him get what he deserved after cheating on Hachi, but not much of him was shown after that evening in Episode 12, but the plotline involving Blast and Trapnest then got so addicting that I quickly no longer cared about Shouji.]

My earlier wish was granted, and somewhere between 16-20 (don't remember)spoiler[Nana and Hachi (and all of Blast) get quickly affiliated with Trapnest. I got really excited at that point and decided to marathon the entire rest of the series that was available (up to 29). It was one hell of a roller coaster ride all the way up to 29, with two relationships, angst, tearful romance, betrayal, and everything a fan of fluffy romance stuff like me would love. The relationship with Takumi really surprised me and initially I was happy for Hachi, but then it was upsetting when it finally struck me that Takumi didn't care about Hachi at all. The relationship with Nobu started out pretty suddenly, but nevertheless was exciting to watch to, and I'm really eager to find out how their relationship will go (and hopefully last).]

More to come...I'll post my thoughts on all the characters in more depth and I'll comment on music, seiyuu, and technical aspects.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote
_I just finished episode 33 Raw, and wow. Following are VERY BIG SPOILERS so if you haven't seen past episode 30, don't even look. spoiler[ With Hachi being pregnant with Takumi's baby, it looks like her dream relationship with Nobu is over. However, Takumi is really showing that he can be a pretty decent guy. There is also the developing relationship with Shin and Reira, even though I believe that Reira still has feelings for Takumi.]
Of course watching this with no subs at all makes it easy to miss a few things, I am not fluent yet.
What makes Nana such a gem to me is that it has been nearly impossible to predict what arc the story is going to take next. Nana has quickly jumped into my top 5 of all time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8