• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
No you wouldn't,

She said that she would care, and I seriously doubt that you have any valid reason for contradicting her.

Quote:
because you're American and as such, you are used to the "Eye-rack" thing,

There are a lot of people in this country who pronounce Iraq properly. That includes most of our newscasters, who have had a lot of experience with it. Those who only see it in print might say it wrong, but it has been spoken on television so often that I think that most of us can get it right now.

Quote:
....pronunciation, correct or not is a poor reason to knock (or raise) the score of a dub.

I agree with that, but in this case there was probably more reason for the score than just the pronunciation of that one name.
And there really is not a great difference between a B+ and an A-.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
It's not a random mispronounced word, it's the name of the leading female character. So, it's in a two-way tie for "most important foreign word to get right", along with the name of the leading male.

It's also not a set of phonemes that English lacks. chee-doh-ree is perfectly easy to say in English, if you'll take an English "R" sound for the Japanese "mostly R, kinda L, slightly D" sound. If her name was Tsukasa, I assume some leniency would be given for the syllable-leading "ts", which is not something English does.

"Jet Black" is not a valid stream of sounds using Japanese phonemes. Find an anime where they consistently mispronounce a name like "Amy" that does transliterate across mostly-unchanged...
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski, that is not the point. The point is that the pronunciation is not a "negative" in the face of voice acting and script. A good dub is voice acting and adaptive script. But for the record, ANN didn't knock off the score of Big O II's dub for pronouncing Alex like "Ellex" in one scene. No, they gave it an A. Despite that, why? Reason's obvious.

Stop making me repeat myself.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Mikeski, that is not the point. The point is that the pronunciation is not a "negative" in the face of voice acting and script. A good dub is voice acting and adaptive script. But for the record, ANN didn't knock off the score of Big O II's dub for pronouncing Alex like "Ellex" in one scene. No, they gave it an A. Despite that, why? Reason's obvious.

Stop making me repeat myself.

ANN is not a singular entity, but a mix of different reviewers viewpoints and opinions. Just because one reviewer didn't have issues with pronunciations on an entirely different show, doesn't mean this reviewer can't have issues with the pronunciations in this show.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't think that someone would have such an issue with a reviewer that is unhappy with how they pronounce the name of one of the main characters. It's not like it'd be a one off thing, she's one of the main characters. Surely, this happened in more than one scene.

I mean, if you can't judge a dub on how they pronounce the name of one of the main characters...Laughing

Add to that, the reviewer does say "biggest issue". It is not the only issue they found with the "decent" dub, just the biggest one. Hell, if the dub is only decent, then a B+ seems generous.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
The way I saw it, it was an earlier ADV dub, so they mispronounced the name in season one. Maybe they figured it out by Fumoffu and The Second Raid, or maybe they didn't. Truth be told, it'd be more awkward for the viewer if they suddenly pronounced it correctly, right?

I remember watching Resurrection F, the DBZ film. When Pilaf calls his dog/fox henchman "Shou," I actually had a brain fart and had to process it slowly. In the original Dragonball dub, he calls the character "Shu." Whether Funimation realized years later that they were wrong or not, it's a little weird for them to go back on it now. Maybe more so for me than others because I'm a huge fan of the original Dragonball, but I never cared for Z.
Spleen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Why is anyone who cares about the correct pronunciation of "Chidori" watching a dub anyway?

One of my most fondly remembered series. I kind of just want to watch the rugby episode again after the performance of the Brave Blossoms at the Rugby World Cup. Back in 2003, when I had no idea anyone in Japan played rugby union, the episode made me laugh on two levels - partly because it was well written and partly because I found the idea of the Japanese playing rugby comical in itself. (Stereotyping, I know, but there it is.) After the defeat of South African I'll see the episode in a different light.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
All these reviews for Full Metal Panic and the news of a new season is making me want to re-watch the show. Actually, I don't remember if I ever saw all of FMP and The Second Raid the first time, since it was back when I was getting Netflix discs through the mail, and I can't remember if I got all of them. I definitely saw all of Fumoffu?!, more than once. I loved the wacky comedy. When I was recovering from an illness, I remember lying in bed and watching Fumoffu on The Anime Network on Demand, and it really cheered me up. My favorite eo is rugby by way of Sousuke's military bootcamp. Now that's Full Metal Jacket-esque.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Any reason to upgrade to the BD?

If you have the original ADV release, yes. The original had really poor and noticeable video quality. The series doesn't benefit from HD, and it is an upscale, but it gets rid of that awful dot crawl.

Thanks! I think that is the release I have. I'd have to find it to verify though...
Hopefully Funi will put out a complete series set on BD in the future and I can just get that and upgrade all 3 series at once Very Happy
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
All these reviews for Full Metal Panic and the news of a new season is making me want to re-watch the show.

Laughing This has gotten me to buy the show...well, except season 1. That will change come Sunday. Then, I'll have to set aside time and binge it all.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
All these reviews for Full Metal Panic and the news of a new season is making me want to re-watch the show.

Laughing This has gotten me to buy the show...well, except season 1. That will change come Sunday. Then, I'll have to set aside time and binge it all.

I know what you mean. Sousuke is a fun character and Gauron is an awesome villain, but Season One as a whole felt so... "eh" compared to its successors. The comedy isn't nearly as good as Fumoffu's. The action isn't nearly as awesome as Second Raid, nor is the emotion. Even discounting those things, it feels very... cliched for an anime of its time period. Plus Tessa's continued existence is irritating. Although, Kurtz and Mao are always hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2