• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Live! School Idol Festival Game App Sales Dip

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OpinionatedWeaboo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm guilty of not playing it. It's a great game, no question about that.
I've just been having a lot more fun on Cinderella Girls' Starlight Stage.
PackMontoya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
In other news, Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls: Starlight Stage releases in September, coincides with a massive boost in operating income for Cygames, the parent of the original Cinderella Girls.

http://gamebiz.jp/?p=151715

Yeah, it's no coincidence. SIF's gonna have to do something to keep up while building up content for Sunshine.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
So people really do drop hundreds of dollars on games like this?

Only game I got sucked into was Kancolle, and thankfully that doesn't try to entice to drop money since the consumables available aren't even gambling. Thank goodness there's so "gatcha"-esque mechanic with "super rare" grade ships in that game or who knows how many desperate otaku would be forking over money they don't have for it.

Last edited by Megiddo on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
like the general uselessness of money which you never run out of

Oh no, you can run out of money. If you plug irl cash into the game and do 10+ draws a bunch, you'll need lots of cash to idolise and skill level up those extra cards. I've run out of money plenty times back when I was really into the game and threw some 100+ dollars into it.

Of course, if you're not buying love gems you won't have as much need for the (in game) money...
NormanS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Love Live really needs an update in terms of App. Something similar to what the new iDOLM@STER game is doing with the full 3D and more customization/things to level up would no doubt be a huge hit. It's not like the overall franchise sales are sagging, the games just getting old already, when it was designed it was just supposed to be a very simple rhythm game farmed out to KLab where they had no idea that it was going to become such a huge hit franchise. Also the game aspect is about the only part of the multimedia project that Love Live just never got quite right.

Problem with following the 3D idolmaster games is going to be the filesize. The English version of the app is about 960GB already with 90+ songs (~51 normal tracks, and rest are event/timed specials which will be normal tracks but the files are still there), with hundreds of cards, each card having 2-3 unique voice lines. The filesize grow quick.

The Shiny Festa games for the PSP (and iOS) are 1.6GB (PSP), 1.9(iOS) and the highest number of songs for one of the three games available are 21 songs, 42 music videos (2 for each song), 1 anime episode with some extra voice work. And that doesnt even have the vast customization the PS3 game has....

Love live SiF would best come out as a physical game if it wants to incorporate 3D models and music videos in the game, because i doubt many would be willing to save gigabytes of space for a game thats continually adding new songs, cards and voice lines every 2 weeks. Still, id buy that game if it comes out for console or PC...
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
The Shiny Festa games have pre-rendered videos, which are going to take up more than generated sequences from 3D models that Starlight Stage uses. It's not really a fair comparison.

That said there's a ridiculous amount of loading on Starlight Stage. I can't remember if it's all data transfer, and some of it may have been my phone being oldish, but it put me right off. It looks nice, but it's a ballache to play. Also I don't like how there's only one vocal track per song regardless of which idols you actually use. I understand why that's the case, I just I don't like it.
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I still love playing Love Live...but the thing is... How can you expect someone to pay for love gems? I don't work, or if I did...there is no way I'd spend like...$29.99 for 50 love gems... I wait until I get 50 love gems... some people may have the money to pay even the outrageous amount and get the most love gems out there.

Well... (I've been playing the new Idolish7 so...)...

But I feel that KLab need to step of there game, and release new things on the english version of Love Live... Japan's version is already 2 steps ahead of you...
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Starlight Stage looks flashy, but it's an absolute dog to play, with constant loading screens and competely messy gameplay segments.

What are you talking about? I play starlight Stage on the regular, and I find it even more beautiful/smooth than Love Live's app, hands down. The rates of the gatcha are also a lot better, I believe (I had gotten like 5 SR cards and one SSR card through paying absolutely no money).

Anyway, it is being speculated by fans that the fall of this app is because of Deresute. And why not? Love Live's app is fun, but it's very bare bones. Deresute has a lot more thrown in there.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
#847407 wrote:
You stop play, you accepted Aquars, so you are Killing Maki

how do you kill the other 8
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness, maybe we can get a good Love Live game on the Vita (as the ones we got sucked) or the PS4 instead with Aquors so I can see Yoshiko in 1080p or on an OLED Vita screen.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Somewere in the past I played the game. Its fun, but I got tired of playing the same song everytime I played. Yes, it has a big catalogue, but still, I am not fan of Love live music. Or al least to hear them to frequently.

And about the purchases of the game, I am not the person how use real money to use in games.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So people really do drop hundreds of dollars on games like this?

I'm too scared and ashamed to look up the exact amount I've spent, but I know it's over 300 USD. And that's not even a lot as far as some people are concerned...
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
consignia wrote:
Starlight Stage looks flashy, but it's an absolute dog to play, with constant loading screens and competely messy gameplay segments.

What are you talking about? I play starlight Stage on the regular, and I find it even more beautiful/smooth than Love Live's app, hands down. The rates of the gatcha are also a lot better, I believe (I had gotten like 5 SR cards and one SSR card through paying absolutely no money).

Anyway, it is being speculated by fans that the fall of this app is because of Deresute. And why not? Love Live's app is fun, but it's very bare bones. Deresute has a lot more thrown in there.

It's undeniably the overall more polished game by the bigger more seasoned developer, like an update on what Love Live achieved. It's also enjoying it's honey moon period, kind of like when a new restaurant opens in a neighbourhood and everybody wants to go their and try the hot new thing so the older restaurants take a hit in business. As I said I don't see why Love Live can't have a similar update. Having better gacha pull rates would also be a huge deal and entice people to spend more money if they feel like they have a legitimate chance at getting the cards they want or need. I've personally had horrendous luck with Love Live's draws and don't feel like spending money on it. I also assume iDOLM@STER will allow you to enter the amount of money you'd like to add to the game while Love Live's stubbornly limits you to 4 options all of which involve Love Gems.

Also one thing people have to remember is that KLab was basically going under until the Love Live contract miraculously turned things around for them. Sense I'm getting is they don't really manage their assets, portfolios and overall business plans very well and were extremely fortunate to have landed that Love Live game contract just as it took off. That sort of quick fix can only hold you for so long though.

Hoppy800 wrote:
Thank goodness, maybe we can get a good Love Live game on the Vita (as the ones we got sucked) or the PS4 instead with Aquors so I can see Yoshiko in 1080p or on an OLED Vita screen.

I think Bandai should consider developing the game themselves this time. School Idol Paradise was Love Live's chance to do a Starlight Stage type of game or hell even Shiny Festa and to be honest the cell phone game Starlight Stage has better graphics, more polish and seemingly more options than the Love Live PS Vita game which could pass for a home brew for how little effort it looks like went into making it. Like I said earlier games is the one area that iDOLM@STER clearly still has over Love Live and where it seems like the powers that be just cared more.

consignia wrote:

That said there's a ridiculous amount of loading on Starlight Stage. I can't remember if it's all data transfer, and some of it may have been my phone being oldish, but it put me right off. It looks nice, but it's a ballache to play. Also I don't like how there's only one vocal track per song regardless of which idols you actually use. I understand why that's the case, I just I don't like it.

I have a pretty modern tablet that I used to give it a whirl and I found the same experience though I just assumed it was because it's connecting to a server somewhere in Japan from an American IP.

Incidentally about the blog that this is being printed from, their coverage on Love Live if you can call it that is horrible click bait schlock. It's always about how Love Live is a dying franchise when all logical evidence points to the contrary (sorry but when your franchise makes well over a billion yen in October between two releases in the Aqours debut and the latest u's concert live BD and the latest u's single still outsells every other anime music release for the month by a very comfortable margin, your mobile game app has the number one customer satisfaction in the entire country and fanart is still pouring out of pixiv then your franchise clearly is not dying no matter how you spin it), how Love Live fans are the worst human beings on the planet apparently (there's bad apples for sure but come on) and just really one sided blatantly spun coverage like somebody has it in for the franchise there hence why I take this whole article kind of lightly if I'm being honest since there they tried to make it look like the app is bleeding money somehow when it's clear the real story is that it's seeing a dip in profits.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:16 am Reply with quote
What does "decrease" mean? Like did they lose a ton of money or is it just lower than previous months?

This is all based on personal taste of course, but I much prefer SIF to DereSute. A lot of the songs in Cinderella Girls (like Kirari and Anzu's songs) annoy me so much I play them on mute. Also, the loading screens are so annoying...and there are tons of characters I don't know about and thus don't care about. I have drawn several SRs but they are for characters that only made the barest of cameos in the anime, so I don't care? And while I do like the 3D stage...live...things, and the MV modes, I still think I prefer SIF's gameplay (though it might just be habit at this point).

THOUGH....I am super super excited for Aikatu's app this winter.
consignia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote

consignia wrote:

I have a pretty modern tablet that I used to give it a whirl and I found the same experience though I just assumed it was because it's connecting to a server somewhere in Japan from an American IP.

I'm not in America, but I don't know if my connection is nearer (I suspect it's probably further). Regardless the problems can't all be down to latency. I thought I'd give it a fair shake, and see if I was exaggerating and play again. The rhythm game itself is smooth, but there really is loads of loading screens on pretty much every menu transition. And quite a lot of the time it says (although I don't necessarily believe it) data downloading. When you can take an average of 10 seconds per transition, it really becomes painful. Especially if you have sausage fingers and accidentally jump into the wrong menu page all the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2