• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dimension W (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale):

Finished!

I really enjoyed the action, music (one of my favorite OP songs of the season), and among other things. Still a solid series and very fitting for Toonami (might re-watch some dubs later). In the finale, Kyouma and Mira managed to seal their foe. Kinda felt bad for Loser though because of the way he ended up. However, I am glad to see that Kyouma is able to overcome his past and his mind seems to be more at peace after being reminded of Miyabi.

I'd recommend anyone to watch this. Hoping for a sequel someday. Rating it as very good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I haven't really mentioned it, but general I have not really cared for Kyouma in this series, and it has kind of painted it negatively for me. I just feel that Kyouma is super hipster. I am not the type of person to unnaturally hate hipsters or their culture, but it really bugs me in how it feels like he is shallowly written to have that, and done in a sneaky way because the show is going: "What are you talking about, he is super cool and his only negative is that he has trouble adapting to the futuristic setting, but it doesn't stop him anyway because he is that awesome, and that is why us the audience love him because he can fight technology with wires." And the show proceeds to make him super powerful, we are meant to forgive him for any mean nature parts because he is actually deep and stuff. Also he breakdances in the OP so we should love it as part of his character.

Other viewers are going to like Kyouma for those points, but I just find those parts annoying, and it poisons the rest of the show for me. I have said it before that Mira is an alright character, but for this series alone I was much more interested in what Ghost Urn did with robots, where the main theme pretty much is looking at artificial intelligence as a person, and the main character is nice instead of full on punching a robot girl in the head for no reason.

Dimension W kept itself busy, in principal I think many of the story arcs were nice, but overall it still feels hipster. I think the sudden change at the end of the series with him to Mira is a bit too sudden, and I am not entirely happy with it as conclusion. I liked the set up of Mira's trailer early in the series, but is pretty much soon ignored from the series once it wants to focus on the numbers. The show generally looks nice, I know that I am being a bit unfair, but I am just not as sold on it as others. I give a rating of Decent (6/10), it is alright, but others like me might find a problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4